Is Original Sin Biblical? If so, how do you define it?

NobleMouse

We have nothing, if not belief in the Lord
Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the doctrine of original sin is biblical (Romans 5:12-21), which is referring to the fall as described in Genesis 3. I think of sin as (simplified) doing what God has told us not to do or not doing what God has told us to do... it is a rebellion against God. God had told Adam and Eve not to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and while they were both quick to place blame elsewhere, the bottom line is they ultimately chose to do what God had told them not to do.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If sin is the transgression of the law, define transgression of the law. Is this the original and only sin?

As for Original Sin: The Bible says sin (or transgression of the Law) from Adam passed down upon all men so that all have sinned. Men are born into sin via the male seed. This is why Jesus had to be born via a virgin (i.e. by the seed of a woman and not of the seed of the male). Babies were deserving of death by Adam's sin, but Jesus Christ reversed the curse of Adam. Fortunately, God is aware of the future with pinpoint precision (without having to be in the future) and He could declare that Jesus was the Promised Messiah and that His sacrifice was a guarantee for the salvation of men (long before Christ was physically sacrificed). For he is the Lamb slain since the foundation of the world. So while a babies body is condemned to death by Adam's sin, their soul is saved by Jesus Christ and they will one day be resurrected physically by the power of the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the doctrine of original sin is biblical (Romans 5:12-21), which is referring to the fall as described in Genesis 3. I think of sin as (simplified) doing what God has told us not to do or not doing what God has told us to do... it is a rebellion against God. God had told Adam and Eve not to eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and while they were both quick to place blame elsewhere, the bottom line is they ultimately chose to do what God had told them not to do.

Do you see "Original Sin" as Adam's Sin passing down upon all of mankind even at their birth or when they are a baby?

Please take note that I believe in Prevenient Grace. This is the belief that God will open the eyes of every person at some point so as to accept or reject the gospel of their own free will (In God's timing). Without this drawing by God, they cannot understand the gospel even. But God will draw everyone at some point in their life. It is simply in His timing.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This is a summary from OrthodoxWiki:
"The term Original Sin (or first sin) is used among all Christian churches to define the doctrine surrounding Romans 5:12-21 and 1 Corinthians 15:22, in which Adam is identified as the man whom through death came into the world. How this is interpreted is believed by many Orthodox to be a fundamental difference between the Eastern Orthodox Church and the Western Churches. In contrast, modern Roman Catholic theologians would claim that the basic anthropology is actually almost identical, and that the difference is only in the explanation of what happened in the Fall. In the Orthodox Church the term ancestral sin (Gr. προπατορικό αμάρτημα) is preferred and is used to define the doctrine of man's "inclination towards sin, a heritage from the sin of our progenitors" and that this is removed through baptism. St. Gregory Palamas taught that man's image was tarnished, disfigured, as a consequence of Adam's disobedience."
https://orthodoxwiki.org/Original_sin

Upvote 0

NobleMouse

We have nothing, if not belief in the Lord
Sep 19, 2017
Mid West
✟47,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you see "Original Sin" as Adam's Sin passing down upon all of mankind even at their birth or when they are a baby?

Please take note that I believe in Prevenient Grace. This is the belief that God will open the eyes of every person at some point so as to accept or reject the gospel of their own free will (In God's timing). Without this drawing by God, they cannot understand the gospel even. But God will draw everyone at some point in their life. It is simply in His timing.
I do view sin (sin nature) as something that is inherent in all of mankind as passing down from Adam. I forget where I heard/read it, but I've heard it explained that this is also why Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit - in order for Him to be a "spotless lamb"... to not have this sin nature (as He would have had if Joseph had been His biological father). Jesus was still fully human (as He was fully God), but fully human without the blemish of sin... as Adam would have been prior to eating the fruit.

I've not seen the term "prevenient" grace before, but in what you've described I would say it makes sense from my understanding as well and lines up very well with Ephesians 2:8: "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God." This indicates that God performs an intentional act of grace towards each who become a believer-- that He opens their eyes to their sin and this is done in His timing. For me, while I was raised in a Catholic home, I was not "drawn" until I was in my early 20's and that was when I made a public profession of faith... so my experience isn't that it's something we're born into, but rather a time (may be specific or a "season" in life) when God gets a hold of us, and we are forever changed.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I do view sin (sin nature) as something that is inherent in all of mankind as passing down from Adam. I forget where I heard/read it, but I've heard it explained that this is also why Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit - in order for Him to be a "spotless lamb"... to not have this sin nature (as He would have had if Joseph had been His biological father). Jesus was still fully human (as He was fully God), but fully human without the blemish of sin... as Adam would have been prior to eating the fruit.

I've not seen the term "prevenient" grace before, but in what you've described I would say it makes sense from my understanding as well and lines up very well with Ephesians 2:8: "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God." This indicates that God performs an intentional act of grace towards each who become a believer-- that He opens their eyes to their sin and this is done in His timing. For me, while I was raised in a Catholic home, I was not "drawn" until I was in my early 20's and that was when I made a public profession of faith... so my experience isn't that it's something we're born into, but rather a time (may be specific or a "season" in life) when God gets a hold of us, and we are forever changed.

I agree.

While I do not want to go too off topic from the thread topic discussion, to learn more about Prevenient Grace, check out the following links.

General Article on Prevenient Grace (Explaining the difference between Calvin's Irresistible Grace):
Prevenient grace - Wikipedia

Good Article on Prevenient Grace:
What Biblical Evidence Is There For Prevenient Grace?

Prevenient Grace Verses:

John 1:9 says,
“That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.”

John 12:32 says,
“And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.”

John 16:8-11 says,
8 “And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.”

Romans 2:4 says,
“Or despise you the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?”

Titus 2:11 says,
“For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,”

1 Timothy 2:3-4 says,
3 “For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

John 3:16 says,
“For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”

2 Peter 3:9 which states that God “is not willing that any should perish, but for all to come to repentance.”

1 John 2:2 says,
“[Jesus] is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.” (Also see John 1:29 - the Lamb of God takes away the sins of the world).

Hebrews 2:9 essentially says,
"Jesus tasted death for everyone."

Matthew 13:15 says,
"For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.”

Matthew 23:37 (NLT) says,
"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the city that kills the prophets and stones God's messengers! How often I have wanted to gather your children together as a hen protects her chicks beneath her wings, but you wouldn't let me.”

Deuteronomy 30:19 says,
“I call heaven and earth as witness this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live”.

Acts of the Apostles 17:27 says,
“he be not far from every one of us”

Acts of the Apostles 16:14 says,
“And a certain woman named Lydia, a seller of purple, of the city of Thyatira, which worshipped God, heard us: whose heart the Lord opened, that she attended unto the things which were spoken of Paul.” (Note: This was an opening of the heart to listen and it was not a change of heart to be instantly saved and regenerated).

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have understood that sin means that person rejects God, or lives without God. Adam and Eve rejected God and it is the original sin, which resulted that we are born apart from God. We are born in disconnection with God, and so, in original sin. And that is why Jesus came, to restore the connection to God, so that we would not live in sin anymore.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have understood that sin means that person rejects God, or lives without God. Adam and Eve rejected God and it is the original sin, which resulted that we are born apart from God. We are born in disconnection with God, and so, in original sin. And that is why Jesus came, to restore the connection to God, so that we would not live in sin anymore.

That is a unique and true way of defining it. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

There are many definitions out there, even among Protestants.

I've personally come to agree that, as a result of Adam's first transgression, the imputation of his guilt and the transmission of his corrupt nature is passed on to all of his descendants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are many definitions out there, even among Protestants.

I've personally come to agree that, as a result of Adam's first transgression, the imputation of his guilt and the transmission of his corrupt nature is passed on to all of his descendants.

Yes, I see this corrupt nature as being sin contaminating the body. I believe this sin comes from Adam's one time sin and that this sin is passed down by the male seed. Even babies need a Savior from the corruption of sin because they have the death of Adam on them. Only in the power of Christ's death and resurrection is there salvation for even babies. The resurrection means that even babies will one day be resurrected bodily to life with no taint or corruption of sin that came from Adam. They will be new creations.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Even babies need a Savior from the corruption of sin because they have the death of Adam on them. Only in the power of Christ's death and resurrection is there salvation for even babies. The resurrection means that even babies will one day be resurrected bodily to life with no taint or corruption of sin that came from Adam. They will be new creations.

I agree that infants need Christ no less than we do, because "there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12). It would be an act of the secret work of the Spirit in the heart of the infant to somehow know and believe in Christ if they died in their infancy, and God wanted to save them. This is a very sensitive topic for many people.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I agree that infants need Christ no less than we do, because "there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12). It would be an act of the secret work of the Spirit in the heart of the infant to somehow know and believe in Christ if they died in their infancy, and God wanted to save them. This is a very sensitive topic for many people.

I believe all babies who die are saved. God simply knows which souls to place into each time and place of who will accept him and who will reject him. God is sovereign even amongst our free will choice.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I believe all babies who die are saved. God simply knows which souls to place into each time and place of who will accept him and who will reject him. God is sovereign even amongst our free will choice.

Everyone has their opinion, but we really don't know. We must accept the fact that if God were to punish all infants who died in their infancy, it would be just. God is good and just, we can leave it in his hands. I personally have no definite opinion on the matter.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Everyone has their opinion, but we really don't know. We must accept the fact that if God were to punish all infants who died in their infancy, it would be just. God is good and just, we can leave it in his hands. I personally have no definite opinion on the matter.

I don't believe God will allow innocent babies with the taint of sin to perish or suffer. To create life to then punish them does not seem consistent with the loving God of the Bible I have come to know.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't believe God will allow innocent babies with the taint of sin to perish or suffer. To create life to then punish them does not seem consistent with the loving God of the Bible I have come to know.

Well, we hold to different views to what original sin means. You still view babies innocent, I don't. This doesn't mean God is unjust and unloving to still punish them in my view, but people will be offended by this view.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, we hold to different views to what original sin means. You still view babies innocent, I don't. This doesn't mean God is unjust and unloving to still punish them in my view, but people will be offended by this view.

I believe the body of the baby is tainted by the disease known as sin (Which was from Adam's rebellion). But the baby itself had not sinned yet. Hence, why their soul is innocent. Their body might be condemned because they are a part of Adam, but the Lord our God is the Savior. He would not let that happen. God is good. He would save the innocent who were tainted with a disease that was from their parents.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes we have to understand the Bible with our hearts instead of just our minds. For if we do not include our heart when reading the Bible, then morality is just a matter of convenience and it is not something that is lived out in honor to God.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sometimes we have to understand the Bible with our hearts instead of just our minds. For if we do not include our heart when reading the Bible, then morality is just a matter of convenience and it is not something that is lived out in honor to God.

Hmm, did I say something that made you respond this way?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

"Original sin" is the doctrine that you are guilty for the sin of Adam. Adam's sin was "original" with humans. So that means no human sinned before Adam and Eve.

The idea of "original" sin is that you are somehow guilty for what Adam did. That you must pay the price for his sin. Which is of course wrong.

The truth is - that as a child of Adam you are born with a sinful human nature - (See Romans 3:9-20) and it has a bent toward rebellion , toward sin. And the Bible says "sin IS transgression of the LAW of God" 1 John 3:4. So "no" you will not be cast into hell to suffer for Adam's sin - but you will be lost if you do not accept the Gospel and you do have a sinful nature as a result of Adam's sin.

No human has lived who has not sinned - other than Christ - so then "for our own sins" we are condemned - and in need of rescue/salvation. Even the baby has a sinful nature - a "bent" toward rage, anger, selfish reactions.

Upvote 0