Is Observing the 7th day Sabbath a Requirement for Salvation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All the ritual laws given to Israel was to make them a Holy nation. Why would Christians feel the need to observe those?
1 - Because we want to obey HIM as our father.
2 - Because we are also to be part of that "Holy Nation."

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;​

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;​
1 Tim 1:9

"Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,"

We do not try to keep the law by trying to keep the law. We BECOME the type of people that will naturall do it. By yielding to the Spirit....Not the Law. The law is the outcome. The ceremonial laws are fullfilled in Christ.
As for the Sabbath scripture says the substance/body belongs to Christ.
Christ is our righteousness.....and anyone in Christ is no longer under the Law for righteousness.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The ceremonial laws are fullfilled in Christ.
I see no where in scripture where "ceremonial law" is divorced from "civil law" or "moral law." Indeed:

James 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.​

That includes the ceremonial statutes.​

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I see no where in scripture where "ceremonial law" is divorced from "civil law" or "moral law." Indeed:
James 2:10
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles in one point, he has become guilty of all.​
That includes the ceremonial statutes.​
I didn't mean to imply that either...my point was where it went..Christ full filled it. He is the lamb of God. While the civil and moral ....written on tablet...are of the Letter...that were blotted out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Something is missing here Dave. Israel never became that Holy nation. The promise through the covenant was negated because Israel broke it. The covenant with Israel does not exist. It is history friend. God never gave that covenant to gentiles, but He through Jesus gave all mankind a new and better covenant. Our covenant is about eternal life through Jesus. The old covenant was about the earthly Biblical promise land that Is not in existence. Your trying to please God by observing old covenant rituals is spinning your wheels. Jesus said what we do for the least of our fellow man we do it to Him. That is what is pleasing to God. Paul tells us we are foolish trying to work our way to Heaven by the works of the law.

You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? Before your very eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed as crucified. 2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh? 4 Have you experienced so much in vain—if it really was in vain? 5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? 6 So also Abraham “believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”

You may say you are not working your way to Heaven and I do not know your heart, but what I do know is that You teach that it is necessary and I ask for what?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1 Tim 1:9

"Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,"

We do not try to keep the law by trying to keep the law. We BECOME the type of people that will naturall do it. By yielding to the Spirit....Not the Law. The law is the outcome. The ceremonial laws are fullfilled in Christ.
Are you able to give me scripture for your statement or are you mimicking what you write?

As for the Sabbath scripture says the substance/body belongs to Christ.
Christ is our righteousness.....and anyone in Christ is no longer under the Law for righteousness.
I don't understand that. I marked it in green

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Are you able to give me scripture for your statement or are you mimicking what you write?

Thank you...I'm not sure what you mean by mimicking. Because the part you marked in green is scripture.
I think the Old testament the holies of holies Mimicks what Has changed.

Before the access to God was faith, however God set a system up that showed none could keep the law by their flesh that would allow direct access to God.

Christ was under the law, kept the law, and fullfilled the animal sacrifices that was a shadow.
The entrance to the Father now is the son. When the veil of the temple split in two when Christ died this was the beginning of the New Covenant.

The door is Jesus.
Jesus is the way, and no one can come unto the Father but by Him.
When we believe Who He is, We are Given His Spirit. When we walk in His Spirit there is life and peace.
To walk in His Spirit, is to obey God. For the will of the Father is that everyone who looks to the son AND believes will have life and God will raise Him on the last Day. We are Commanded to believe upon the one that God has sent.
Why because He is the righteousness of the Law. He is the righteousness of God.
When we look to Him and believe we are no longer under the Law. For Jesus is the end of the Law for righteousness for all who [believe]put trust in Him.

I hope that helped

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:”

1 cor 1:30

Romans 10:4

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Romans 3:21

21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.

28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

Hebrews 9;12

12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, I must have been in lala land. I surely didn't make myself clear and for that I apologize.

I would like to know where you conclude the following: "The ceremonial laws are fullfilled in Christ." I have concluded that all laws that pertain to morality are forever. Laws that do not pertain to morality such as the laws that governed the Israelites found in Torah ended at the Cross where all mankind along with the Israelites were given the new covenant ratified by Jesus own blood. The new covenant does not require that Christians observe days, tithe produce and or animals, and all the other laws that governed Israel. For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.Hebrews 7:12 Thus a new and better covenant.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks, I must have been in lala land. I surely didn't make myself clear and for that I apologize.

I would like to know where you conclude the following: "The ceremonial laws are fullfilled in Christ." I have concluded that all laws that pertain to morality are forever. Laws that do not pertain to morality such as the laws that governed the Israelites found in Torah ended at the Cross where all mankind along with the Israelites were given the new covenant ratified by Jesus own blood. The new covenant does not require that Christians observe days, tithe produce and or animals, and all the other laws that governed Israel. For when the priesthood is changed, the law must be changed also.Hebrews 7:12 Thus a new and better covenant.

We are under spiritual laws....which make the inside clean. For if the inside is clean the outside will be also.

The New Covenant is Spirit Not in letter.
Read all of 2nd Cor 3

To find out why I believe...fullfilled in Christ....because the Law brought death.......The Spirit brings life...
But there are scriptures that include moral, civil, and ceremonial that are called the Law of Mosis. And according to 2 for 3:7. The law was to be done away with.

The Ten commandments and old Covenant are in part....

1 for 13:10 state's G when that which is perfect [matured] comes[the law of Love] then that which is in part shall be done away with.

Recall the law was a tutor to lead to Christ Galatians 4

Read what the administration of death was Deu 4:13

Recall Mosis's Face the Tablets made his face shine but it was Fading...as the Law....

Read Ephesians 2 :15
Abolished the law of commandments

2 Corinthians 3:13

I hopes I helped some....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Something is missing here Dave. Israel never became that Holy nation. The promise through the covenant was negated because Israel broke it. The covenant with Israel does not exist. It is history friend. God never gave that covenant to gentiles, but He through Jesus gave all mankind a new and better covenant. Our covenant is about eternal life through Jesus. The old covenant was about the earthly Biblical promise land that Is not in existence. Your trying to please God by observing old covenant rituals is spinning your wheels. Jesus said what we do for the least of our fellow man we do it to Him. That is what is pleasing to God. Paul tells us we are foolish trying to work our way to Heaven by the works of the law.
This tells me you properly understand neither the Mosaic covenant nor the New Covenant.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This tells me you properly understand neither the Mosaic covenant nor the New Covenant.
Okay, for sure I don't know much, but for you to say what you did without any rebuttal is not even nice. Are you going to leave it at that or are you even able to counter my post? If you don't respond I will consider that you are just blowing smoke.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Okay, for sure I don't know much, but for you to say what you did without any rebuttal is not even nice. Are you going to leave it at that or are you even able to counter my post? If you don't respond I will consider that you are just blowing smoke.
Consider it "smoke" if you want. I do not have the time, nor is this the proper thread, for a complete explanation of God's covenants.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Consider it "smoke" if you want. I do not have the time, nor is this the proper thread, for a complete explanation of God's covenants.
That is one way to get out of something you may not know anything about. Even if I did start a thread I really wonder if you would step up to the plate.

I wonder why it is so very hard for people that belong to groups that have these "special" beliefs to see the truth of then simple plan of salvation. Why do they try to make it so difficult?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is one way to get out of something you may not know anything about. Even if I did start a thread I really wonder if you would step up to the plate.

I wonder why it is so very hard for people that belong to groups that have these "special" beliefs to see the truth of then simple plan of salvation. Why do they try to make it so difficult?
If you are truly interested, (and you should be) I would suggest a book by Ariel Berkowitz called "Torah Rediscovered." I do not necessarily agree with all of his conclusions, but his explanation of covenants in the ancient near east is very informative.

21GJA6833BL._AC_UL160_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/Torah-Rediscovered-Ariel-Dvorah-Berkowitz/dp/0975291408

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Ummm.... What is the new and better covenant? It was first stated as that by Jeremiah, and Ezekiel said the same thing although he worded it differently.

Jeremiah 31: 31 ¶Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:*n7
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Ezekiel 36: 25 ¶Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

What law did God write with His own hand? The 10 commandments. The moral law. What is the new covenant? That God would write His law in our hearts.

What is better about the new covenant? It is built upon God's promises and abilities, rather than the promises and abilities of humanity, i.e. the ancient Israelite's promises and ability to keep God's law on their own hook.

Paul quotes Jeremiah 31 in Hebrews 8:10 and Hebrews 10:16 where he discusses the new covenant. He repeats this lesson in II Corinthians 3:3.
II Corinthians 3: 3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.

His allusion to the 10 commandments in the above verse is too clear to be missed.

As to your reference to Hebrews 7:12, is it referring to the moral law, or to the ceremonial law, the priesthood of the family of Aaron? It is quite plain given the context of the preceeding verses that it is speaking of the priesthood, thus it is speaking to the ceremonial law, not the moral law for the priesthood headed by Aaron's family was not announced/given in the moral law. Thus this verse is not addressing anything to do with the moral law.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ummm.... What is the new and better covenant? It was first stated as that by Jeremiah, and Ezekiel said the same thing although he worded it differently. .
Hebrews 8:6
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

The Mosaic covenant was a covenant just for Israel and it was their guide as to how to live a Holy life in Canaan, Ex19:5-6 God's words to Moses. It was the preface to the giving of the law, 613 rules by which Israel was to live.
The new covenant ratified by the blood of Jesus is the covenant of love and grace. Whether you agree or not it is a covenant for all mankind. It is all about gaining our home in Heaven. It is summed up in 1Jn3:19-24, believe and love.

What law did God write with His own hand? The 10 commandments. The moral law. What is the new covenant? That God would write His law in our hearts.
nowhere does it tell us that it is the now defunct 10 commandments that is written on or in our hearts. The 10 commandments were an incomplete set of sins we can and do to our God and to our fellow man. Read all the other sins man commits in the remainder of all scripture. The 10 commandments do not even have the law of love as part of it. I am not saying that God made a mistake in writing them with His finger, but to say they are anymore binding than the remainder of the law is not true.

What is better about the new covenant? It is built upon God's promises and abilities, rather than the promises and abilities of humanity, i.e. the ancient Israelite's promises and ability to keep God's law on their own hook.
So you admit it is different.

Paul quotes Jeremiah 31 in Hebrews 8:10 and Hebrews 10:16 where he discusses the new covenant. He repeats this lesson in II Corinthians 3:3.
Yes, and in that "discussion" he points out that the 10 commandments were transitory and that Christians are not under them. We have the Holy Spirit as our guide.
the Holy Spirit in our hearts is Jesus promise to us.

His allusion to the 10 commandments in the above verse is too clear to be missed.
Clear or not you cannot miss verses 7-11 as telling us that they were the ministry of death and they are no longer binding on man. I really do not care if God wrote them on stone or in the book of the law they, according to Paul, are done away. 11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

As to your reference to Hebrews 7:12, is it referring to the moral law, or to the ceremonial law, the priesthood of the family of Aaron? It is quite plain given the context of the preceeding verses that it is speaking of the priesthood, thus it is speaking to the ceremonial law, not the moral law for the priesthood headed by Aaron's family was not announced/given in the moral law. Thus this verse is not addressing anything to do with the moral law
All the Law was moral as in moral verses immoral. Jews make no reference to a division. All 613 laws were binding on Israel. You cannot divide the 10 commandments from the remainder of the law and call the 10 moral and the remainder ceremonial. The law of love to God and to our fellow man is found in the dictated part of the law. Many laws concerning morality are found in the book of the law. Yes some are ritual in nature. They do not deal with our dealings with our fellow man, they deal with things, things God required for them to live a Holy life, stay healthy, etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2017
Texas
✟8,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

The Mosaic covenant was a covenant just for Israel and it was their guide as to how to live a Holy life in Canaan, Ex19:5-6 God's words to Moses. It was the preface to the giving of the law, 613 rules by which Israel was to live.
The new covenant ratified by the blood of Jesus is the covenant of love and grace. Whether you agree or not it is a covenant for all mankind. It is all about gaining our home in Heaven. It is summed up in 1Jn3:19-24, believe and love.

nowhere does it tell us that it is the now defunct 10 commandments that is written on or in our hearts. The 10 commandments were an incomplete set of sins we can and do to our God and to our fellow man. Read all the other sins man commits in the remainder of all scripture. The 10 commandments do not even have the law of love as part of it. I am not saying that God made a mistake in writing them with His finger, but to say they are anymore binding than the remainder of the law is not true.

Yes, and in that "discussion" he points out that the 10 commandments were transitory and that Christians are not under them. We have the Holy Spirit as our guide.

Clear or not you cannot miss verses 7-11 as telling us that they were the ministry of death and they are no longer binding on man. I really do not care if God wrote them on stone or in the book of the law they, according to Paul, are done away. 11 For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

All the Law was moral as in moral verses immoral. Jews make no reference to a division. All 613 laws were binding on Israel. You cannot divide the 10 commandments from the remainder of the law and call the 10 moral and the remainder ceremonial. The law of love to God and to our fellow man is found in the dictated part of the law. Many laws concerning morality are found in the book of the law. Yes some are ritual in nature. They do not deal with our dealings with our fellow man, they deal with things, things God required for them to live a Holy life, stay healthy, etc.

Hi there! I read your posts with interest and had a simple question:

How can a person discover if something they are doing is a sin, thus convicting them of the need for an atonement, pardon, etc?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟662,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there! I read your posts with interest and had a simple question:

How can a person discover if something they are doing is a sin, thus convicting them of the need for an atonement, pardon, etc?
Welcome to the thread. I pray you are asking those questions in sincerity and not to start an argument. I do welcome your comments and further discussion. Your name seems to me to indicate that you are churched and have knowledge of the subject. I not only write to the following to you, I write it to others on the forum and all the lurkers that are reading our posts. I use scripture to back up what I write and try not to ever twist it to mean other than what it actually says.

Paul the Apostle of our Savior Jesus Christ tells us the law was (past tense)our school master or guardian to bring people to the need of our Savior. I believe Paul wrote about the law being the guide in past tense because the law was what God had previously given as the beacon of right and wrong. 23 Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian. We are born with a sense of right and wrong are we not?. Jesus gave each one of us the Holy Spirit as our guide. Israel had the 10 commandments as their guide and we have a better plan with better promises.
7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

We may not know or realize the consequences of or sins until we do something wrong and are caught by those of authority. I personally was taught by my parents, teachers, church, and people around me in my community the fine points of letting me know when I was sinning. The 10 commandment could not keep the Israelites from sinning just as the Holy Spirit cannot stop us from sinning, but the Holy Spirit pricks our conscience to ask Jesus for forgiveness. By our faith in Him and by His grace to us we know we are a forgiven people when we ask.

Since Paul tells us we are not under the law does that mean we are lawless and not subject to the consequences of sin? I found the answer to that question in 1Jn 3:19-24 This is how we know that we belong to the truth and how we set our hearts at rest in his presence: 20 If our hearts condemn us, we know that God is greater than our hearts, and he knows everything. 21 Dear friends, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have confidence before God 22 and receive from him anything we ask, because we keep his commands and do what pleases him. 23 And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. 24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us. If we obey what those verses are telling us we know we have the truth and we know we are not sinning. Loving one another I believe is also loving ourselves. We are not to defile our minds and bodies. Jesus commanded us to love others as He loves us. He laid down His life for you and me. We are to do the same for our fellow man if God forbid it might happen.

I pray this helps. In Christ, Bob

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,239.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Bob,

Most of your post is simply assertion without any scriptural support, therefore it carries little or no weight with me.

I will comment on the little bit of scripture that you used though.

Let's look at what you say about II Corinthians 3:3. From your interpretation of the following verses God is simply writing death in our hearts when He writes the 10 commandments in the tables of our hearts, for you assert that the 10 commandments are a ministry of death. To this I have to say, Huh? God is writing a ministry of death into our hearts? God is life so I find your assertion very strange and very unbiblical.

In your comment on Exodus 19:5,6 you ignore what else God had to say on the subject.
Exodus 12 49 One law shall be to him that is homeborn, and unto the stranger that sojourneth among you.
God said this multiple times to the Israelites, and as is quite clear from this text He first said this before He gave the 10 commandments on Mt. Sinai. Therefore He meant the 10 commandments for all who would become a follower of Him. Your idea of Jewish exclusiveness is not Biblical.

God also said about His house, referring to the Jewish temple, through Isaiah:
Isaiah 56:6 Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;
7 Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

Here is God plainly laying out the idea that the Israelites/Jews had missed the point of God's choosing them as a peculiar people when they became exclusive and wanted to keep God's blessings for themselves. God always wanted everyone to share in the spiritual blessings He poured out upon the Israelites/Jews. Anyone was free to join the Jewish religion and look forward to the Messiah through faith. God made this very plain.

I find it odd that you think that the concept found in I John 3 is to be found only in the NT.
Leviticus 19: 18 ¶Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the Lord.

Leviticus 19: 34 But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God.

Deuteronomy 6: 5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.
6 And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7 And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.

All John is doing in the verses you referred to is rephrasing what the OT taught. In what John said there is nothing new. Love is the foundation of the both the OT and the NT teachings about how we are to relate to both God and our fellow man. God doesn't change. His teachings don't change. All that changed was the understanding of what God had always taught. Jesus didn't teach anything new. He merely revealed what had been covered over by human traditions over the centuries. A failure to understand that is where you are going wrong in your understanding of the Bible.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.