Is Numerology Acceptable for a Christian?

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I responded to a post in the Sign Gifts forum where someone had a recurring dream about the year and month of his birthdate and was wondering what the interpretation was. I quoted Deuteronomy 18:10: "No one among you is to make his son or daughter pass through the fire, practice divination, tell fortunes, interpret omens, practice sorcery."

I showed through this verse that trying to get an interpretation based on the numbers in one's birthdate is a form of Numerology, and the numbers were omens.

Another person informed me that I was not correct and that we are no longer under law but under grace. I responded that it is by God's grace we are saved through faith in Christ, but the fruit that we display as true believers is our compliance with God's moral law, and all forms of the occult are expressly forbidden. Therefore true converts to Christ will want to avoid the occult like the plague.

This person then responded and told me that I have no relationship with God because I am still under the law. I didn't want to derail the thread by continuing with this person, so I have decided to start this one.

What I wanted to say to him that seeing we are no longer under the law, but under grace, I can go into his home and walk away with his TV and stereo and that would be okay with God (although it would be against the criminal law). Or I could come and have an affair with his wife or his mother and that would be also okay. Of course the immediate answer would be that it wouldn't be acceptable at all.

What I couldn't say on the Sign Gifts forum was that interpretation of dreams about birth dates and other random dreams is New Age occult and not of the Holy Spirit, unless the Holy Spirit is double-minded in expressly forbidding divination and interpretation of omens (which are seen in dreams) in Deuteronomy 18:10, and then inspiring dreams for modern Christians and assisting them to interpret the omens in them. Are there two Holy Spirits? If so, which one is the true Holy Spirit, the Third Person of the Trinity?

ElenaMaria_9

Jun 7, 2022
South West England
✟17,359.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I responded to a post in the Sign Gifts forum where someone had a recurring dream about the year and month of his birthdate and was wondering what the interpretation was. I quoted Deuteronomy 18:10: "No one among you is to make his son or daughter pass through the fire, practice divination, tell fortunes, interpret omens, practice sorcery."

I showed through this verse that trying to get an interpretation based on the numbers in one's birthdate is a form of Numerology, and the numbers were omens.

Another person informed me that I was not correct and that we are no longer under law but under grace. I responded that it is by God's grace we are saved through faith in Christ, but the fruit that we display as true believers is our compliance with God's moral law, and all forms of the occult are expressly forbidden. Therefore true converts to Christ will want to avoid the occult like the plague.

This person then responded and told me that I have no relationship with God because I am still under the law. I didn't want to derail the thread by continuing with this person, so I have decided to start this one.

What I wanted to say to him that seeing we are no longer under the law, but under grace, I can go into his home and walk away with his TV and stereo and that would be okay with God (although it would be against the criminal law). Or I could come and have an affair with his wife or his mother and that would be also okay. Of course the immediate answer would be that it wouldn't be acceptable at all.

What I couldn't say on the Sign Gifts forum was that interpretation of dreams about birth dates and other random dreams is New Age occult and not of the Holy Spirit, unless the Holy Spirit is double-minded in expressly forbidding divination and interpretation of omens (which are seen in dreams) in Deuteronomy 18:10, and then inspiring dreams for modern Christians and assisting them to interpret the omens in them. Are there two Holy Spirits? If so, which one is the true Holy Spirit, the Third Person of the Trinity?

I agree with you here. Under grace doesn't not mean we act how we want. It means we work out our salvation with respect and trembling and that means no messing with occult!

I do believe there are some numerical patterns in the Bible but I don't believe there are extraJudicial ones. I have been involved in personal prophetic ministry for some years and much of it is legit, but there has been some strange fire creeping in, am afraid, in some of the ministries I've seen. I've seen people seeing certain numbers in their dreams and they believe it corresponds to something which will happen in their lives.I think God would not speak in riddles? I also see the fruit in some of those individuals lives and there seems to be a lot of fear and legalism there generated by these revelations they receive which suggests not of God. The Holy Spirit spurs us on to glory not makes us afraid.

I saw something today on my Facebook feed of a woman claiming that monster energy drinks are satanic because the logo on them adds up to 666 in Hebrew language or something? I find that stuff hard to believe And miles away from the Gospel of Christ crucified.

Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟121,766.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
Since this person is referring to grace, I would be interested in knowing where in the NT Church epistles he is encouraged to adhere to numerology.

God specifically lays out the manifestation (or operation) of the spirit in 1 Cor 12:8-10….and if memory serves me …. there is not a manifestation of “discernment of numbers”.

People who are into numerology will see numbers in everything…. the adversary will make sure of that….and down the rabbit hole they go….anything to lead people away from the truth. We used to call them “candy” whenever someone was intrigued by any of the curious arts…. fortune telling, tarot cards, palm reading, numerology, etc… or any lightweight supernatural, because with candy or sweets they always wanted more….and they were vulnerable, recruitable targets.

You see, the New Testament (grace) is a covenant, because Israel could not abide by the old covenant…law.
This administration of Grace was designed originally for Israel, but then God opened the door for the Gentiles (Acts 10) and from there, the fullness of the mystery and everything it contained was revealed by revelation to Paul….. So what changed was the covenant ….NOT the devil or his devices and methods. He is still out to trick people lead them astray with all the forces of Babylon. The candy is appealing, and the powers are real …. they’re just not from the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Keep standing strong and declaring the truth ….and pray for those who are being deceived.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you here. Under grace doesn't not mean we act how we want. It means we work out our salvation with respect and trembling and that means no messing with occult!

I do believe there are some numerical patterns in the Bible but I don't believe there are extraJudicial ones. I have been involved in personal prophetic ministry for some years and much of it is legit, but there has been some strange fire creeping in, am afraid, in some of the ministries I've seen. I've seen people seeing certain numbers in their dreams and they believe it corresponds to something which will happen in their lives.I think God would not speak in riddles? I also see the fruit in some of those individuals lives and there seems to be a lot of fear and legalism there generated by these revelations they receive which suggests not of God. The Holy Spirit spurs us on to glory not makes us afraid.

I saw something today on my Facebook feed of a woman claiming that monster energy drinks are satanic because the logo on them adds up to 666 in Hebrew language or something? I find that stuff hard to believe And miles away from the Gospel of Christ crucified.
When we have been saved by God's grace through our faith in Christ, we are no longer slaves to the Law, but we can do what we want. So, the question is, do we really want to carry on sinning and bringing dishonour to the name of Christ? I think I want to fellowship and closely with the God as I can and obey the commandments of Christ.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Biblical numerology involves taking the instance of a particular number in the bible and comparing instances. Some go so far as using word play in the original language to find additional meaning.

Using numerology to look at a birth date and it's meaning seems a bit off however, since the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

The reference to grace may have been a clue from God for you however, I'd encourage you to read Galatians 4 with emphasis on verses 9-11. The concept of being not under the law comes from that passage, and does not only refer to the law, but the basic principles of the world in which astrology is included.

Upvote 0