✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Rev 11:1-2
Tell me about the historic accounts of the two witnesses, their miracles, the fire from heaven, the great drought, their torment of the wicked, their death, their glorious assencion right in front of everyone, the associated earthquake. I imagine the written accounts of these 'historic' events are quite exciting to read.

Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tell me about the historic accounts of the two witnesses, their miracles, the fire from heaven, the great drought, their torment of the wicked, their death, their glorious assencion right in front of everyone, the associated earthquake. I imagine the written accounts of these 'historic' events are quite exciting to read.

Hello and good day,

I believe I detect a bit of sarcasm.

Like most abusers of prophecy, you randomly treat figurative language as if it is literal and literal language as if it is figurative.

If you read all my posts you would have saw the historical/scriptural accounts of the drought, false prophets, persecution, etc. I care not to sift through all the posts, however, in case I didn't here it is:

"You will clearly see that even secular history can support the evidence that the events in Matthew 24:4-35 have already come to pass. The "false messiahs" verses 4 and 5 already happened see Acts 5:33-37 and Josephus (secular writer) also mentions this in his books. Then to describe the verses 6-8 The predictions of "wars and rumors of wars" history is plum full of evidence of the turmoil Rome was faced with internally let alone externally especially from the period of Christ's death to the destruction of Jerusalem. Look it up. The predictions of "famine" take a look at Acts 11:28. Again already happened. The talk on "earthquakes" many of them. Look at secular history again one of the most famous of the earthquakes then was Pompeii Feb. 5th A.D. 66. The parts on christians being persecuted in verses 9-13 see to the bible Acts 4 and 5. Stephen was stoned to death Acts 6 and 7. Against the church Acts 8 and 9. James gets beheaded Acts 12. And Paul spoke of heavy persecution often see also 2 Timothy 1:15; 4:10, 16. False teachers Acts 20:29; Romans 16:17-18; 2 Peter 2:1; 1 John 4:1. Then look at verse 14 of Matthew 24 "gospel... preached in all the world...then the end will come" Now look at Colossians 1:6, 23."

Now without further delay the two witnesses (figurative not to be taken literal). Remember, Revelation is a code book, a pictorial book. Without understanding the old testament how are you going to understand the new? Especially since Revelation alludes to over 390 times the OT.

My notes/study on Two Witnesses (verses 1-14):

John is given a measuring rod, and he is told to measure the temple of God, the altar, and those who worship in it. Here the temple represents the church (Ephesians 2:19-22). Thus, the church is being measured to see if it is deserving of protection because of its obedience (II Corinthians 10:12-18; I John 4:1). This is similar to Ezekiel’s vision (Ezekiel 40:2-42:20). Take special note of the purpose mentioned in Ezekiel 42:20. Israel came up short in measurement (Ezekiel 43:10-12).

However, John is told not to measure the outer court of the temple because that had been given to the nations (the word “Gentiles” means “nations). In the temple in Jerusalem, the outer court was called the Court of the Gentiles, it was closest non-Jews could come to worship God. Thus, non-Christians would not be given protection (a repeat of Revelation 7:3-8). The unbelievers would trample the holy city for 42 months. This is another way of indicating 3 ½ years, which is half of seven – the number for completeness and perfection. 3 ½ symbolizes incompleteness, uncertainty and trials. This period appears a number of times:

• It is the time (42 months) Jerusalem is trampled (Revelation 11:2)

• It is the time (1260 days) the witnesses would prophesy in sackcloth (Revelation 11:3)

• It is the time (1260 days) the woman would be protected in the wilderness (Revelation 12:6)

• It is the time (time, times, and half a time) they would be nourished while protected from the serpent (Revelation 12:14)

It also appears in Daniel’s prophecies, which I believe deal with the same period of time:

• It is the period of time of the beast’s authority and blasphemies (Daniel 7:21)

• It is the period of time the saints would be in the beast’s hand (Daniel 7:25).

In other words, this is the period of time that Christians would be persecuted.

We are not talking about the physical city of Jerusalem. The church is the new Jerusalem (Revelation 21:2; Hebrews 12:22-23). Thus the church would be corrupted and persecuted by those who were not true believers, but these persecutions would not be able to reach the core of the church.

During the time of the trampling of Jerusalem (the church), two witnesses will prophesy, clothed in sackcloth. Why two? Because in order to secure a conviction in a court, there was a need for two witnesses at a minimum (Deuteronomy 19:15). This rule continues in the church (Matthew 18:16; II Corinthians 13:1; I Timothy 5:19).

The same two witnesses are called two olive trees and two lampstands. We already have seen lampstands referring to individual churches (Revelation 1:20). A lampstand can also refer to the word of God (Psalms 119:105). Lamps in those days burned oil to give light. The most common source of oil in this region were olive trees. A similar vision is found in Zechariah 4:2-6, 11-14. To have an olive tree next to a lamp means you have a constant supply of oil so the lamp never need go out.

Taking this together, I believe the two witnesses are the church and the word of God. The fact that they are testifying in sackcloth reinforces that this was a time of misery and distress. Christians hold forth the word as a light in a crooked and dark world (Philippians 2:15-16). This again looks like a reference to the prophecy about the reign of the man of sin (II Thessalonians 2:3-12).

As the two witnesses testify, their enemies are consumed by fire that comes from their mouths (Jeremiah 5:14). God’s word can burn by bothering people’s conscience. The witnesses were given authority to:

• Stop the rain, like Elijah. Note that Elijah’s drought lasted 3 ½ years (James 5:17).

• Turn water to blood, like Moses (Exodus 4:9)

• And to smite the earth with plagues as often as they desired

These allude to the prophets of old who displayed God’s power, which served as a witness to the truth of their words (Hebrews 2:3-4). Notice that they successfully finished their testimony. They were not interrupted.

At the end of their testimony, the beast from the abyss makes war against them. In Daniel, the beast refers to a king, kingdom, or an institution (Daniel 7:3, 17, 23). In the battle the beast kills the two witnesses and their bodies like in the street of the great city.

The city is spiritually called by three names: Sodom, Egypt and the city where the Lord was crucified (Jerusalem). Notice that Egypt is a country, not a city. This emphasizes that this great city is not any of those places, but has characteristics like those places. Sodom is infamous for its sexual sins, homosexuality in particular. Egypt was infamous for its idolatry and the bondage of God’s people. Both Sodom and Egypt are frequently used as representatives of worldly sins. Jerusalem is now listed among the great sinful places because of the death of Christ. It represents religious corruption. It is not directly named because the new Jerusalem is the church and the church is not connected with causing the Lord’s death. It could also mean its crime is so great that it does not even deserve to be named. And each of these three places were destroyed by God because of their sins. (By the way, this is a hint that the destruction of Jerusalem had already taken place.) Thus, the great city is full of sexual sins, idolatry, bondage to sin, and religious corruption with a rejection of God’s prophets and His Son. The implication is that it too will be destroyed by God.

The witnesses bodies lie on display for 3 ½ days without being buried. It is testimony of the disrespect and contempt the city had for God’s witnesses. 3 ½ days would be another period of pain and tumult, but shorter than the previous time. And while the bodies are on display the people celebrate their death.

Satan wins a victory through his beast. He stops the church and the Bible from being spread, but he was able to do so before that spread of teaching had already been completed.

But just when it appears that Satan won, God resurrects His witnesses. A voice calls them to heaven and their enemies see them depart. Reading the accounts of Christian martyrs, you can see the frustrations of those killing them because they could not terrorize them. They watch them die with smiles on their faces and praises for God on their lips. And in their death they joined God (Romans 8:35-37).

As they go, an earthquake causes a tenth of the city to collapse, killing 7,000 people. The church and the spread of the gospel revives and the evil city is given a significant wound. A tenth indicates a partial, restrained judgment and 7,000 killed indicates a complete accounting for the evil done.

The rest of the people are terrified and give glory to God, but it would be incorrect to conclude that they were converted, only forced to admit that God is great.

Verses 15-18:

The victory has finally been achieved! The kingdom of the word has become the kingdom of Christ. God is worshiped for his accomplishments. Jesus had promise that he would come quickly (Revelation 2:16; 3:10-11; 22:7, 12, 20) and that had been accomplished. It is not the final judgment, but the swiftness of God's judgement on the wicked. The earth was shaken and the unshakable remains (Hebrews 12:26-29). Therefore Daniel's prophesy was fulfilled (Daniel 2:44; 7:13-14).

Evil tired to rebel against God's design. In their defeat, their possessions were turned over to God's people. In Daniel, the beast prevailed for a time, but the saints won in the end. God always wins (Psalms 2).

The dead in Revelation 11:18 are those lost in sin (Ephesians 2:1,5) and not those physically dead. The dead are contrasted to God's bondservants, prophets, saints and those who fear God's name. Notice the implication that the earth remains, but at the final judgment the earth will be destroyed (II Peter 3:10-12).

On a side note:
There are four verses throughout the book of Revelation that you might have missed.
1. Revelation 1:1 = "...must shortly come to pass..."
2. Revelation 1:3 = "...for the time is at hand."
3. Revelation 22:6 = "...things which must shortly take place."
4. Revelation 22:10 = "Do not seal up...prophecy...for the time is near."

How can ANYONE honestly say that this means two thousand years later?

Does the football game announcer say "the game will shortly take place" and it happens 10 years later? Preposterous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Could you say a little more about the woman clothed with the sun and the moon at her feet? Is this something we will see in the sky?
It's the constellation Virgo with Leo (9 stars) around her head plus Venus, Mars, and Mercury as well. Jupiter will be in her womb. Jupiter is called the KING planet. Of course back then planets were called stars so the total count is 12. She clothed by the sun and the moon is situated under her feet. As you read Rev. 12 you see that symbolically the woman is Israel and the child is Jesus, but this is also a literal sign in the heavens.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you think the sign of the son of man will be ? Will it be clear for all to see?
On a clear night you'll see the constellation as well as you see the Big Dipper.

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello good sir,

Yes, I have done my studies. However, I am merely doing what the gospel asks of me anyway (2 Timothy 4:2; 1 Thessalonians 5:21 for example).

So as I was reading your thoughts on this matter and I realized that that is just all they are, is your thoughts/belief. None of it was backed by any other scripture, just opinion for each verse. At the end you said that the whole key is v 14. If this is what your thoughts hinge on, then might I turn your attention to these verses here:

Colossians 1:5-6 and 23. As you can see in these three verses, Paul contends with you that the gospel WAS preached to all the world at that time. Supposedly, the book of Colossians was done around 60 AD while Paul was imprisoned. Just ten years before 70 AD.

In conclusion, if you did place your entire bet on v.14 being the key, what Paul said in those three verses puts a rather large hole in your ideas on Matt. 24.

As for the rest of what you said verse by verse, you have no scriptural support for this. Just your opinions. What I have revealed in each post, harmonizes with multiple books of the bible such as Daniel, Revelation, Luke, and Matthew (among others not listed here). Throughout this thread I have revealed those scriptural supports.

See the example of the "the abomination of desolation": Luke totally harmonizes with Matthew 24:4-34. See Luke 21:20-32. We know for a fact, this already happened.

Also see this key verse here in Matthew 24:34. Jesus JUST got done speaking to them of all these "signs" and then tells them that "this generation shall not pass away, TILL ALL these things be fulfilled". Either there are some two thousand year old people walking around now or this already happened.

Now that just leaves you with the transition word I was talking about. Verse 36 of Matthew 24, "But of THAT DAY...". There will be no warnings, no signs, and no announcements. You can also read even further into it about the example of Noah and the flood in verses 37-39. Jesus will come like a "thief" and a thief will give no warning, they just come and your left surprised.

Lastly, the three parts you were talking about for the disciples questions. I only see two questions in verse 3 of Matt. 24.

"...the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?"

Question 1:Tell us, when shall these things be? (in reference to the destruction of the temple and Jerusalem)

Question 2:what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? (In reference to when the end of the world will be and IF there are signs) Verse 36 "but of that day..." no one knows but God the Father.

Maybe elaborate on the "three part" more as I didn't see where you explained that. Maybe I am missing it in your verse by verse thoughts.

Thank you sir for your polite and engaging discussion with me. May we hope to "reason together" (Isaiah 1:18).

Are you discerning scriptures ... filled with the Holy Spirit? These events did not occur and even without the Spirit, logic would dictate that to you.
The gospel had not been preached throughout the entire world by 70 A.D. To claim that it has is to say God was finished, it's done, everyone who's on my list is accounted for, time to return and judge the world. Then we would have experienced a 1000 years of peace, we would have new bodies, our salvation/redemption fulfilled.
Colossians 1 makes a statement the that the gospel was "spreading" throughout the world, not that it reached the entire world in just 30 years! We have been spreading it for 1884 years ... HELLO! We have just about completed the task and you will experience this Great Tribulation in our generation and then you will retract your partial preterist/ Amillennial views.

Again, the fall of Jerusalem cannot by any means be compared to the Great Tribulation period that effects the entire planet. The distress will be the greatest ever experienced on earth. Jerusalem was one town of what hundred thousand ... two hundred thousand? We are talking about Judgment Day, catastrophic events that will kill upwards of 2/3 of the population on the planet ... HELLO!
A person who could read these verses and say they already happened would clearly not be in touch with reality (if they did not happen). Wouldn't you agree. What is going
on in the world today cannot be ignored. These things will not correct themselves, we are becoming more and more corrupt, this country is going down, the world is approaching that precipice and if you can't see that, you are not in touch with reality. Maybe you're a Democrat, that would explain some. But I do think Amillennial views hit up against a wall with Premillennial views.
I've done my share of study and research as well. I wrote a book on basic Christianity btw and devoted several chapters to The Great Tribulation Period and the nature of Hell as well. To be precise and supportive, I used 570 verses from seven different versions of the Bible. I do not have time to argue with a partial-preterist. It is futile. Let's just say, if I'm wrong, the Great Tribulation/ Jesus" Second Coming will not occur within this generation. Where did that start? 1948, when Israel became a Nation and in 1967 recaptured Jerusalem. Had one generation, (70 years) and you will come to 2018. According to David, a generation was three-score plus 10 and maybe a little longer ...
Finally, the question: 1. When shall these things be?
2. What shall be the sign of thy coming?
3. And of the end of the world?
2 & 3 are separated by 1000 years, the Millennial Kingdom, a time that preterists don't believe will literally take place.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Are you discerning scriptures ... filled with the Holy Spirit? These events did not occur and even without the Spirit, logic would dictate that to you.
The gospel had not been preached throughout the entire world by 70 A.D. To claim that it has is to say God was finished, it's done, everyone who's on my list is accounted for, time to return and judge the world. Then we would have experienced a 1000 years of peace, we would have new bodies, our salvation/redemption fulfilled.
Colossians 1 makes a statement the that the gospel was "spreading" throughout the world, not that it reached the entire world in just 30 years! We have been spreading it for 1884 years ... HELLO! We have just about completed the task and you will experience this Great Tribulation in our generation and then you will retract your partial preterist/ Amillennial views.

Again, the fall of Jerusalem cannot by any means be compared to the Great Tribulation period that effects the entire planet. The distress will be the greatest ever experienced on earth. Jerusalem was one town of what hundred thousand ... two hundred thousand? We are talking about Judgment Day, catastrophic events that will kill upwards of 2/3 of the population on the planet ... HELLO!
A person who could read these verses and say they already happened would clearly not be in touch with reality (if they did not happen). Wouldn't you agree. What is going
on in the world today cannot be ignored. These things will not correct themselves, we are becoming more and more corrupt, this country is going down, the world is approaching that precipice and if you can't see that, you are not in touch with reality. Maybe you're a Democrat, that would explain some. But I do think Amillennial views hit up against a wall with Premillennial views.
I've done my share of study and research as well. I wrote a book on basic Christianity btw and devoted several chapters to The Great Tribulation Period and the nature of Hell as well. To be precise and supportive, I used 570 verses from seven different versions of the Bible. I do not have time to argue with a partial-preterist. It is futile. Let's just say, if I'm wrong, the Great Tribulation/ Jesus" Second Coming will not occur within this generation. Where did that start? 1948, when Israel became a Nation and in 1967 recaptured Jerusalem. Had one generation, (70 years) and you will come to 2018. According to David, a generation was three-score plus 10 and maybe a little longer ...
2 & 3 are separated by 1000 years, the Millennial Kingdom, a time that preterists don't believe will literally take place.

Hello again,

I thought we could have a civil conversation. I do not need to be belittled good sir. You accuse me of discerning by quoting scripture, yet you discern yourself by twisting it.

I am truly sorry my dear friend, but you do not get to do that.

The Colossians 1 verses I gave you are so straight forward, they cannot be mistaken by an honest person. They cannot be refuted:

"5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;

6 Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:

23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;"

I know you are a smart person. I wish for you to use your intelligence honestly sir. Use your reading comprehension to these verses. It is past tense every time Paul mentions the gospel being preached to the world. You have no excuse sir (Acts 17:30-31).

You cannot even explain away verses like Mark 9:1; Matthew 24:34; Luke 21:32. What you believe, would have me think there are two thousand year old people living today. Its beyond absurd. You are either missing these verses, or you are not applying your intelligence to reading comprehension, or you are just not being honest being so blinded by false doctrine.

Being such a smart individual, I was hoping you would refrain from belittling remarks.

Being such a smart individual, I was hoping you would see clear cut scripture and be honest enough to reason with them.

If you wish to keep things civil and reason together like adults, in an honest fashion, then it would be my pleasure to continue. If you do not think you can do this, then we should part ways on this topic now.

Upvote 0

cgaviria

Nov 23, 2015
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Visit site
✟23,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Is North Korea the little horn?

The little horn is the papacy that came forth from the fourth beast of Daniel, which was the Roman empire, and uprooted 3 of the 10 horns, where could be said to be the Heruli, Vandals, and Ostrogaths. I have an entire study on this, in light of history and scripture here The Identity of the Antichrist, the Two Beasts of Revelation, and the harlot of Babylon | Wisdom of God .

Upvote 0

Keath

Apr 21, 2017
Ft Lauderdale
✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You nailed it on a lot of key points. I had a close preterist friend at the Naval Academy; in the end I carefully reviewed all of their arguments, and concluded they overlimit scripture based on their intellect, not gift of interpretation; but I also learned there is no deterring them from their intellectual confidence

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Keath

Apr 21, 2017
Ft Lauderdale
✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;"
I find it amazing how to you this is literal vs hyperbole while Rev 11 and the 2 witnesses is figurative vs literal

Upvote 0

Keath

Apr 21, 2017
Ft Lauderdale
✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You cannot even explain away verses like Mark 9:1; Matthew 24:34; Luke 21:32. What you believe, would have me think there are two thousand year old people living today. Its beyond absurd
First of all Jesus preserving someone's life for over 2,000 years is not likely, but it is not more 'beyond absurd' than Elijah going up in a Chariot of Fire, Noah and the Ark, Jonah and the whale, Muthuselah (sp) at 969 years, etc. But I don't see that as even necessary, but is not outside realm of possible.
Regarding Mark 9:1 - mount of transfiguration fulfills. Matt 24:34 and Luke 21:32 can be translated generation or alternatively 'race' i.e. the Jewish race. And this is why you see the reference to budding fig, the re-sprouting of Israel that occurred in 1948; the time of the gentiles is working it's way toward a conclusion.
And have you forgotten, a 1,000 years to the Lord is like a day? What is a few extra days? The Lord is not unfaithful in fulfilling his promises as we our, but instead he is highly patient and long suffering not wanting anyone to parish (2 Pet 2)

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I find it amazing how to you this is literal vs hyperbole while Rev 11 and the 2 witnesses is figurative vs literal

Do you know what hyperbole is?

You are saying Paul is exaggerating in Col. 1:5-6 and 23?

So that's how you escape truth. You are basically saying that the Holy Spirit is exaggerating since Paul was "moved" by the Holy Spirit to write these things 2 Peter 1:21. So God exaggerates. I see how you can get away with twisting the scripture now.

Also, is quite obvious Revelation is chalk full of figurative language or "code". Study the OT and maybe it will start to make sense for you. If you already know the OT, then apply it to Revelation. Revelation alludes to the OT over 390 times.

Upvote 0

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The case I placed down from start to finish in this thread has been proven via scripture. I am now finished with this thread. People can read the evidence I have placed down here from scripture and see for themselves. I wish not to move to argument since the scripture can defend itself to those who are honest.

Thank you everyone for the discussion. I have no hard feelings toward any even the ones who have become less than civil. May we have many future discussion.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Because the little horn is the beast and the beast nation and it must expand it's power towards the East and South towards the Holy Land ""Israel"" So the little horn's land must be somewhere towards Israels North West.. Only at the very end will the beast call upon the kings of the east to gather there forces and come to Megeddo for the battle of Armageddon..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew4jesus

Apr 25, 2017
Banbury
✟24,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The case I placed down from start to finish in this thread has been proven via scripture. I am now finished with this thread. People can read the evidence I have placed down here from scripture and see for themselves. I wish not to move to argument since the scripture can defend itself to those who are honest.

Thank you everyone for the discussion. I have no hard feelings toward any even the ones who have become less than civil. May we have many future discussion.

Thank you for your contribution. I'm new to Christianity so find some of the conversation goes a little over my head, but you have actively supported your position on this subject and I have found it very informative. :)

Reactions: Keath
Upvote 0

Keath

Apr 21, 2017
Ft Lauderdale
✟12,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you know what hyperbole is?

You are saying Paul is exaggerating in Col. 1:5-6 and 23?

So that's how you escape truth. You are basically saying that the Holy Spirit is exaggerating since Paul was "moved" by the Holy Spirit to write these things 2 Peter 1:21. So God exaggerates?
"Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!" Matt 23:24

Upvote 0

Ronald

Exhortations
Site Supporter
Jul 30, 2004
southern
✟111,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello again,

I thought we could have a civil conversation. I do not need to be belittled good sir. You accuse me of discerning by quoting scripture, yet you discern yourself by twisting it.

I am truly sorry my dear friend, but you do not get to do that.

The Colossians 1 verses I gave you are so straight forward, they cannot be mistaken by an honest person. They cannot be refuted:

"5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;

6 Which is come unto you, as it is in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as it doth also in you, since the day ye heard of it, and knew the grace of God in truth:

I know you are a smart person. I wish for you to use your intelligence honestly sir. Use your reading comprehension to these verses. It is past tense every time Paul mentions the gospel being preached to the world. You have no excuse sir (Acts 17:30-31).

You cannot even explain away verses like Mark 9:1; Matthew 24:34; Luke 21:32. What you believe, would have me think there are two thousand year old people living today. Its beyond absurd. You are either missing these verses, or you are not applying your intelligence to reading comprehension, or you are just not being honest being so blinded by false doctrine.

Being such a smart individual, I was hoping you would refrain from belittling remarks.

Being such a smart individual, I was hoping you would see clear cut scripture and be honest enough to reason with them.

If you wish to keep things civil and reason together like adults, in an honest fashion, then it would be my pleasure to continue. If you do not think you can do this, then we should part ways on this topic now.

Wow, Paul wrote Colossians about 60 A.D. and you believe the entire world had heard the gospel by then? I guess he could have just retired at that time and notified all the disciples and Christians round the globe, "It's done, everyone's heard the Word, you can stop, no need to go any further, congratulations, we did it!" But that is foolishness! The Church (contrary to your view) pushed on and continued till this day to spread the gospel. By 1900 there were 500,000,000 Christians and now some 2.3 billion.

The "hope" in the gospel has come to them as it has to the world, in the same fashion, by the same person and power. Jesus brings that hope, He is the Word and He is everywhere.
It is good to read several translations to get a better grasp on the verse.

"as indeed in the whole world it is bearing fruit and growing ..." RSV
"it has come to you just as in all the world" NASB
"The same Good News that came to you is going out all over the world..." Living Bible
"It is bearing fruit and growing all over the world just as it has among you" Holman Christian Standard
"in the same way the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world" NIV
"even as it is also in all the world bearing fruit and increasing ..." ASV

The hope is available and has come to us through the gospel and to the world, which means that it was no longer exclusive to the Jews but now open to the world. You can say Jesus came from above to the world, right? The Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. But in our finite world of time, He first came to Bethlehem, and years later to Jerusalem and after He died, to the world. He died for sins of people that weren't even born yet thousands of years away. In a sense His death encompassed an eternal domain outside of time. We are transported back into time or so to speak and washed by His blood. So this does not mean that the entire world heard it and/or received it at that particular time, because this letter was written to believers. The world at the time was filled with unbelievers, the gospel just got going and was only in the infant stages of spreading it to the world.

Reactions: Andrew4jesus
Upvote 0

Ken Richards

May 5, 2017
Florida
✟8,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Book of Daniel shows gives a historical and chronological timeline, from the time of the Empire of Babylon, all the way till the return of Christ, to set up His everlasting kingdom. This timeline is repeated 4 times in 4 parallel prophecies in the same book. They are found in Chapters, 2, 7, 8 and 11, with each one using different symbolism, and giving additional details. This is a Biblical principle called repetition and enlargement. When these are studied carefully, it will be clearly seen what represents the Little Horn, and all the other issues raised in this post. I don't think God intended it to be shrouded in too much mystery, so He made it understandable. He gave the prophecies for us which means He wants us to understand these things.

Upvote 0