Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Christians are not to engage in carnal war.

The King said that if we deal in violence we will reap what we sow.

Our war is with the spirit, not the flesh.
Actually, what Jesus said was 'those who live by the sword die by the sword', live by the sword directly implying a lifestyle of killing people, not dealing in violence.

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
How is killing not violent?
Huge difference between a lifestyle of murder and a few acts of violence to protect people. Whether killing is violent is beside the point.

Upvote 0

chingchang

Jul 17, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
✟10,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Huge difference between a lifestyle of murder and a few acts of violence to protect people. Whether killing is violent is beside the point.

Lets get right to it. Do you think the current US foreign policy can be reconciled with the commands of Jesus Christ?

CC

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Lets get right to it. Do you think the current US foreign policy can be reconciled with the commands of Jesus Christ?

CC
We're not talking about governments, we're talking about Christian individuals. Red herring.

??????????? Prove it!!!!

CC
Jesus was supposed to die at their hands. Can't do that if He doesn't get taken by them... and Peter can't really found the early church if he's arrested for cutting off a guy's ear, can he? 'Live by the sword' directly implies a lifestyle. How would it not imply a lifestyle?

Upvote 0

chingchang

Jul 17, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
✟10,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
We're not talking about governments, we're talking about Christian individuals. Red herring.

You're afraid of the question because your honest answer is a bias toward...and justification of...violence.

Jesus was supposed to die at their hands. Can't do that if He doesn't get taken by them... and Peter can't really found the early church if he's arrested for cutting off a guy's ear, can he? 'Live by the sword' directly implies a lifestyle. How would it not imply a lifestyle?

'Live by the sword' is a large portion of our nation's GDP and the #1 tenant of our foreign policy. It is a foreign policy of greed and death. The 'Royal Law' and Jesus #1 command is "love your neighbor...". Kinda hard to reconcile killing your neighbor with his command...

CC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
You're afraid of the question because your honest answer is a bias toward...and justification of...violence.
You're projecting. I refuse to answer the question because it isn't the topic of this thread for one thing, and for another I hate politics. That's why you never see me in the political forums you frequent.

'Live by the sword' is a large portion of our nation's GDP and the #1 tenant of our foreign policy. It is a foreign policy of greed and death. The 'Royal Law' and Jesus #1 command is "love your neighbor...". Kinda hard to reconcile killing your neighbor with his command...

CC
That's completely off topic. We're not talking about the government. We're talking about Christians, and the government is not Christian. Can't be, first amendment. Where do you get off barging into a conversation and then changing the subject?

Upvote 0

chingchang

Jul 17, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
✟10,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're projecting. I refuse to answer the question because it isn't the topic of this thread for one thing, and for another I hate politics. That's why you never see me in the political forums you frequent.

That's completely off topic. We're not talking about the government. We're talking about Christians, and the government is not Christian. Can't be, first amendment. Where do you get off barging into a conversation and then changing the subject?

No...it isn't off topic. The OP question was "Is it ever o.k. for a Christian to use violence?". The most obvious modern-day example of Christians using violence that is "close-to-home" is through the execution of US foreign policy. That is why I brought that issue into the conversation...very relevant. Especially relevant given that a majority of Christians believe we live in a "Christian Nation"...which I find interesting given our anything but Christ-like foreign policy...

CC

Upvote 0

Zebra1552

Urban Nomad. Literally.
Nov 2, 2007
Freezing, America
✟26,728.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
No...it isn't off topic. The OP question was "Is it ever o.k. for a Christian to use violence?". The most obvious modern-day example of Christians using violence that is "close-to-home" is through the execution of US foreign policy.
The US isn't a Christian nation. Most CO's aren't Christian. It therefore isn't relevant at all.

That is why I brought that issue into the conversation...very relevant. Especially relevant given that a majority of Christians believe we live in a "Christian Nation"...which I find interesting given our anything but Christ-like foreign policy...

CC
What part of 'off topic, not going to discuss it' didn't you get? Drop it, or go bug someone who cares.

Upvote 0

EBR

May 22, 2011
✟15,191.00
Faith
Christian
Can anyone preaching a message of non-resistance honestly tell me they would allow harm to come to a loved one when violence could have saved them? I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I failed to protect a loved one. Didn't God command the Israelites to go to war?

Personally, I carry a gun with me most every day for personal defense. I work on large weapon systems for a living, so feeling guilt over protecting myself through violence (if needed) would be a bit silly. Ironically, God lead me to this job through some pretty impossible circumstances. Funny how that works...

Upvote 0

chingchang

Jul 17, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
✟10,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can anyone preaching a message of non-resistance honestly tell me they would allow harm to come to a loved one when violence could have saved them? I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I failed to protect a loved one.

I hear ya. Yeah...I'd defend a loved-one. But...then again..."who are my mother and brothers and sisters?".

Didn't God command the Israelites to go to war?

Key word there..."command". God isn't commanding us to go to war...physically.

Personally, I carry a gun with me most every day for personal defense.

Good for you. I'm an advocate of exercising your Constitutional Rights!

I work on large weapon systems for a living, so feeling guilt over protecting myself through violence (if needed) would be a bit silly.

Yup...that would make you a hypocrite.

Ironically, God lead me to this job through some pretty impossible circumstances. Funny how that works...

True...we have to pay our bills and put food on the table somehow. Just remember though...this system is not God's. It belongs to the 'God of this Age'. Use it to your advantage...but do not take ownership in it.

Hugs Brother,
CC

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 4, 2011
✟8,294.00
Faith
Catholic
I've been reading The Kingdom of God is Within You by Leo Tolstoy and I was wondering what everyone thought about non-resistance. Is it ever right for a Christian to use violence?

Self defence. Turn the other cheek doesn't mean: "hey you got beat on one turn your head around and get beat on the other cheek too and enjoy the pain as well and shut up and don't complain but be thankful for being a martyr!"

That's just slavery and servitude. A way of controling people and repressing them by using God. Shutting up people who suffer because of other people's faults.

Careful of literal interpretations. It leads to the worse form of slavery known to man: theocracy. The "God wants you to be unhappy and not revolt against bad people cos he died on the Cross and you should do that too otherwise you're unbelievers!!" kind of hypocritical argument those in power and who oppress the weak usually make to enslave them.

Upvote 0

Walter Kovacs

Justice is coming, no matter what we do.
Jan 22, 2011
Florida
Visit site
✟10,124.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
SSlapping someone across the cheek was a huuuuuge insult in that time period...middle finger times a thousand. It was generally done with the back of the left hand, which is why it was such an insult. Turning the other cheek in that context refers to a refusal to retaliate after being insulted; refusing to take the low road and slap someone back and even offering them the other cheek . It has zero to do with self defense or combat of any kind; it refers strictly to insults and the like.

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0

chingchang

Jul 17, 2008
New Braunfels, Texas
✟10,259.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
SSlapping someone across the cheek was a huuuuuge insult in that time period...middle finger times a thousand. It was generally done with the back of the left hand, which is why it was such an insult. Turning the other cheek in that context refers to a refusal to retaliate after being insulted; refusing to take the low road and slap someone back and even offering them the other cheek . It has zero to do with self defense or combat of any kind; it refers strictly to insults and the like.

Interesting. What do you think of Christ's instruction to love our enemies? Kinda hard to bomb them and love them at the same time...no?

CC

Upvote 0