Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It can help to keep a nation from falling apart, but in general it is detrimental.
It taps into the human tendency towards tribalism. It causes us to prop up our leaders as gods that we worship. And it creates a sense of "us vs. them" which leads to racism, oppression and ultimately violence.
It is not the way of God.

I really believe God has more important concerns. :)

And when you look at countries in the West like France and the UK let alone USA, what do you see as their current status right now?

Upvote 0

David Kent

Continuing Historicist
Aug 24, 2017
Ashford Kent
✟116,777.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
I really believe God has more important concerns. :)

And when you look at countries in the West like France and the UK let alone USA, what do you see as their current status right now?

Same as any other country

Upvote 0

ThievingMagpie

Jun 5, 2018
London
✟64,205.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
I believe that nationalism strengthens individual countries and brings everyone in the nation closer together. Do you think that nationalism is good for a country's people or not?

If someone asked me to tell them what an ideal human society would look like in 500 years time I don't think nations would play much of a part in it. Obviously just bringing down the borders now would cause complete chaos but I think the idea of a nation state is quite anachronistic and ultimately obstructive.

Some of the greatest challenges facing the human race like global warming, water shortages and superbugs require a lot more than nationalism to tackle.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe that nationalism strengthens individual countries and brings everyone in the nation closer together. Do you think that nationalism is good for a country's people or not?

Up to a point.
Team-building is nice, but it can easily cross over in "us versus them" and that's when it becomes dangerous.

It's not surprising to me that "hardcore nationalism" usually goes hand in hand with racism and facism. I don't wish to go all Godwin on the topic, but it is simply the case... the Nazi's, were kind of like "extremist nationalists".

Like with so many things: sure, it's not a problem, but only in moderation. We live in a small world that moves increasingly in the inevitable direction of globalization. There is less and less place in this world for hardcore protectionism and nationalism (or otherwise said: tribal mentality).

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Up to a point.
Team-building is nice, but it can easily cross over in "us versus them" and that's when it becomes dangerous.

It's not surprising to me that "hardcore nationalism" usually goes hand in hand with racism and facism. I don't wish to go all Godwin on the topic, but it is simply the case... the Nazi's, were kind of like "extremist nationalists".

Like with so many things: sure, it's not a problem, but only in moderation. We live in a small world that moves increasingly in the inevitable direction of globalization. There is less and less place in this world for hardcore protectionism and nationalism (or otherwise said: tribal mentality).
Living in Northern Ireland I experienced the kind of tribal Nationalism you are referring to. There is nothing wrong with someone loving their country and its customs, but I found that what passed for nationalism here was extremely elitist, be that Irish nationalism or British nationalism. Throw religion into the mix, with one lot being mainly Catholic and the other mainly Protestant, and it was hard to tell if it was a political war or a religious war that was taking place.
My experience has led me to believe that Nationalism is not a force for good. Anyone who truly loves their country would not feel that they needed to kill someone who didn't quite see their country in the same light as themselves.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,657.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nationalism as opposed to Globalism I prefer since I don't want to see the dissolution of unique peoples, countries and cultures into one giant soup of nothing. The preservation of a national heritage and efforts to keep it relevant are not inherently bad. It can become bad when that Nationalism is combined with an Imperialist attitude or a need to expand outside of one's borders.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Nationalism is just a form of exclusivity. Belonging to an exclusive club can indeed bring close alliances. But then, what of those people that don't belong to our exclusive club? Are we to treat them differently to those that belong to our club? Are we to treat them as lesser humans?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe that nationalism strengthens individual countries and brings everyone in the nation closer together.

This is true. But there is a toxic version of nationalism as well, which Adolf Hitler practised.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It is very good, especially if your nation, as constituted, is being threatened.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
At least the way it's often presented, nationalism is just selfishness in the form of extreme patriotism: "nobody else in the world matters except for number one".
Ringo

This is true, but there is a hierarchy of importance, beginning with the self. Sadly Americans have little regard for themselves but much regard for political and social movements. I think it's a mechanism for compensating for personal failure;

"Those who take up causes have probably lost their own."

(Originally quoted by me during the social upheavals of the 1960's.) :D

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This is true, but there is a hierarchy of importance, beginning with the self. Sadly Americans have little regard for themselves but much regard for political and social movements. I think it's a mechanism for compensating for personal failure;

"Those who take up causes have probably lost their own."

(Originally quoted by me during the social upheavals of the 1960's.) :D

What about John 15:13?

Upvote 0

TheOneWhoEats

Feb 20, 2019
Louisville
✟17,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My take on it, which is simple:

There's nothing wrong with having some "civic pride." Be proud of your home, try to make it a nice place for everyone and for visitors, etc. But, I don't see the logic in insisting that your home is better than another person's home. We should come together as a community and work together, but maybe we shouldn't be like "X country is the best country in the world! YEAH YEAH YEAH" or whatever. I think there's a happy middle ground.

Upvote 0