• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is my schizophrenia a punishment from God?

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,952.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I just got diagnosed at 29 and I'm wondering if God is punishing me with this illness. My mom did have it at 25 though. It could be genetic too. My sister never got it though.
NO
It is very much inherited. It usually skips a generation.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,060.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I just got diagnosed at 29 and I'm wondering if God is punishing me with this illness. My mom did have it at 25 though. It could be genetic too. My sister never got it though.

What I know of schizophrenia there are a few factors in play determining if a person get it, such as upbringing, social network, life crises and as mentioned, inheritance. I find it hard to believe that God would punish us this way.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟791,723.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed
Why would that be a punishment? If I am born without hearing, is that a punishment? If a whole sinful world is born without telekinesis, is that a punishment? If it would have been better for a rapist to never have been born, is the fact he was born and lives his punishment?

If you deserve punishment, you're not going to avoid it by having this illness.

Upvote 0

KybeKyneKane

Aug 13, 2021
Seoul
✟24,459.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
it's probably from the genes. but watch out for coping mechanisms to use and you should be able to like to cope and look for therapeutic and psychiatric services. get in the way of your illness and not the other way around. with all the good things from christians about their God is that he brings much strength in some sort of way for His christian followers...that you cannot avoid his good will.
well i guess, you should reread and study more of your christian bible as well as any christians' help from these forums.

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,217.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
9 As Jesus walked along, he saw a man who had been blind since birth. 2 Jesus' disciples asked, “Teacher, why was this man born blind? Was it because he or his parents sinned?”

3 “No, it wasn’t!” Jesus answered. “But because of his blindness, you will see God work a miracle for him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do what the one who sent me wants me to do. When night comes, no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light for the world.”

6 After Jesus said this, he spit on the ground. He made some mud and smeared it on the man’s eyes. 7 Then he said, “Go and wash off the mud in Siloam Pool.” The man went and washed in Siloam, which means “One Who Is Sent.” When he had washed off the mud, he could see.

--------------------------

About this same time Jesus was told that Pilate had given orders for some people from Galilee to be killed while they were offering sacrifices. 2 Jesus replied:

Do you think that these people were worse sinners than everyone else in Galilee just because of what happened to them? 3 Not at all! But you can be sure that if you don’t turn back to God, every one of you will also be killed. 4 What about those eighteen people who died when the tower in Siloam fell on them? Do you think they were worse than everyone else in Jerusalem? 5 Not at all! But you can be sure that if you don’t turn back to God, every one of you will also die.

---------------------------------

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums