WV
✟13,027.00
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, everyone. I’m scared that my confession was invalid. So the last time I went to confession, I confessed things I needed to confess. But, I’m worried about a particular sin I confessed, I’m not going to say what I did. But, I kinda said the sin in a mumbled way. I never meant to have him not hear me I don’t know if he heard me but he was looking straight at me after I confessed it he just asked me about the last sin I confessed before the one I was currently saying. Do you think he heard me? It was very quiet in the confession and he asked me to whisper becuase I was talking loudly at first. What happens if he didn’t hear me? Do you think it was valid if he didn’t but had the intention to have him hear me?

Last edited:

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,272,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I’m sure mumbling during confessions happens often and if he felt he needed you to repeat it he would of asked. Also keep in mind God knows your heart and He is the one ultimately doing the forgiving. The fact that you are remorseful and owning up to your sin is what God is looking for.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi, everyone. I’m scared that my confession was invalid. So the last time I went to confession, I confessed things I needed to confess. But, I’m worried about a particular sin I confessed, I’m not going to say what I did. But, I kinda said the sin in a mumbled way. I never meant to have him not hear me I don’t know if he heard me but he was looking straight at me after I confessed it he just asked me about the last sin I confessed before the one I was currently saying. Do you think he heard me? It was very quiet in the confession and he asked me to whisper becuase I was talking loudly at first. What happens if he didn’t hear me? Do you think it was valid if he didn’t but had the intention to have him hear me?

More Bible --- less traditions of man.

In the actual Bible you confess your sins to God - because only God can forgive sins.

"IF anyone sins we have an advocate with the Father - Jesus Christ the righteous" 1 John 2:1

"there is ONE mediator between God and man - the man Christ Jesus" 1 Tim 2:5

"14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. 16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4

Hebrews 10
Now the main point in what has been said is this: we have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man. 3 For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices; so it is necessary that this high priest also have something to offer. 4 Now if He were on earth, He would not be a priest at all,

Hebrews 7

23 The former priests, on the one hand, existed in greater numbers because they were prevented by death from continuing, 24 but Jesus, on the other hand, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. 25 Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
26 For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens;

Hebrews 10
19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and having a High Priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful

It is God that we pray to - it is God that hears the faintest whisper of a prayer, it is God that forgives sin.

Jesus taught us to pray "Our Father who who art in HEAVEN - hallowed be THY name Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread AND FORGIVE us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil for THINE is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever" Matthew 6

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,576.00
Faith
Non-Denom

The greater question you might consider asking is do you have to confess your sins to a human priest at all. Consider there's a difference between church doctrine and what the Bible actually says. The poster Bob Ryan post #5 has put down some good scriptures for you to read. I'd consider studying them closely if I were you.

Is my confession invalid?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,352.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

In our faith there is no need for a confession to a priest, we only have to confess to God. And God always hears us. When I sin the last thing I need is the embarrassment of having to put it before the world, or a priest. We know when we do wrong. The bible just says "if we confess our sin God is faithful and just to forgive us, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Confession is just acknowledgement of sin before God, when we say "God I'm sorry", he forgives us, and we move on.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Be careful of confessing your sins to humans. There has been recent reports of a woman who confessed to her priest of being sexually abused in her teens. What the priest did was record what she said and used that to blackmail her into sleeping with him. She was forced to agree and the priest didn't stop there. He video taped what they did and send it to 4 other priests. So she had to end up sleeping with 5 men as a result of one confession. There are wolves in sheep's clothing out there.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,632.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Invalid to whom?
God knows what you confessed.
God knows, not only what you said, but what's in your heart and mind.
God knows whether you should have confessed, wanted to confess or had no intention of confessing.

IMO, and I respect you may have been brought up differently, if we confess to God, trust in Jesus and ask forgiveness for our sins, he will forgive. In fact, we know he will because Scripture says so, 1 John 1:9.
A priest may or may not hear us. My belief is that Jesus, our great High Priest, knows everything and will forgive when we confess. I've never confessed to a priest - that doesn't mean that I'm not, haven't been, or can't be, forgiven.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You don't have to shout about your dirty laundry in public in order to get forgiveness from God. God heard your confession, therefore it is valid, since He is the only one who really matters in that regard. "God is the one who justifies; who is he who condemns?"
TD:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

The important thing is to believe your priest that you are forgiven.

Upvote 0

Afra

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2018
Virginia
✟60,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Not sure what church you are attending, but if that were myself, I would probably just confess it again the next time. No harm in that.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There nothing about Jesus teaching us in the Bible to confess to earthly priests or his disciples/apostles...confess your sins to God... Jesus be Mediator between man and God because He is without sin...He lives and is High Priest forever.

Hebrews 4:14-15
Hebrews 5: 1-10
Hebrews 9:11-28
Chapter 10 of Hebrews

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God bless you my dear sister in Christ

You did not try to conceal your sin, you offered it to the Lord for forgiveness and healing, it is just in your sorrow and shame you did not speak clearly

God loves you and wants to heal you, He is so happy that you gave an honest confession even though you were embarrassed

Maybe the confessor heard you mumble and understood what you said, but he knew not to ask more about that?

I know this is not a debate forum but I ask all of those who reject the Sacrament of Confession to read the Bible, pray for wisdom, and actually try to find out why all the ancient Christian Churches have this teaching

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I know this is not a debate forum but I ask all of those who reject the Sacrament of Confession to read the Bible, pray

Amen to that!

Here is the Bible in Matthew 6 -- saying to ask God Himself for forgiveness...

Jesus taught us to pray "Our Father who who art in HEAVEN Matthew 6- hallowed be THY name Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread AND FORGIVE us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil for THINE is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever" Matthew 6

Not only do we confess to God - but we appeal directly to the Father for forgiveness - in the name of Jesus.

And of course all those "other" Bible texts. :)

More Bible --- less traditions of man.

In the actual Bible you confess your sins to God - because only God can forgive sins.

"IF anyone sins we have an advocate with the Father - Jesus Christ the righteous" 1 John 2:1

"there is ONE mediator between God and man - the man Christ Jesus" 1 Tim 2:5

"14 Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin. 16 Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4

Hebrews 10
Now the main point in what has been said is this: we have such a high priest, who has taken His seat at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens, 2 a minister in the sanctuary and in the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, not man. 3 For every high priest is appointed to offer both gifts and sacrifices; so it is necessary that this high priest also have something to offer. 4 Now if He were on earth, He would not be a priest at all,

Hebrews 7

23 The former priests, on the one hand, existed in greater numbers because they were prevented by death from continuing, 24 but Jesus, on the other hand, because He continues forever, holds His priesthood permanently. 25 Therefore He is able also to save forever those who draw near to God through Him, since He always lives to make intercession for them.
26 For it was fitting for us to have such a high priest, holy, innocent, undefiled, separated from sinners and exalted above the heavens;

Hebrews 10
19 Therefore, brethren, having boldness to enter the Holiest by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way which He consecrated for us, through the veil, that is, His flesh, 21 and having a High Priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful

It is God that we pray to - it is God that hears the faintest whisper of a prayer, it is God that forgives sin.

Jesus taught us to pray "Our Father who who art in HEAVEN - hallowed be THY name Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread AND FORGIVE us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil for THINE is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever" Matthew 6

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
James 5:14-16 clearly tells us to confess our sins to the Elders

James 5
13 Is anyone among you suffering? Then he must pray. Is anyone cheerful? He is to sing praises. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Then he must call for the elders of the church and they are to pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; 15 and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up

I was looking for "confess your sins to the elders"

In any case I see that you are Catholic so then we both agree on the importance of daily coming before God in the "Our Father" prayer where we find this

Jesus taught us to pray "Our Father who who art in HEAVEN Matthew 6- hallowed be THY name Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread AND FORGIVE us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil for THINE is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever" Matthew 6

The Our Father - Prayers - Catholic Online

I am pretty sure that is promoted as a "good thing" among Catholics.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This thread is not in a debate section,

It is going to be pretty hard to find Christians on this forum debating against the "Our Father" prayer in Matthew 6. I suggest we all just accept that prayer as a good thing.

There are plenty of other things to debate about.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is going to be pretty hard to find Christians on this forum debating against the "Our Father" prayer in Matthew 6. I suggest we all just accept that prayer as a good thing.

There are plenty of other things to debate about.
Confession has always been part of Christian History.

• Agree
Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0