Is modern Judaism the same as Davidic Judaism?

Originally posted by Josephus
I was curious to know what the general population thought of this. I personally believe modern Judaism is as contrary to historical Judaism as modern Catholicsm is contrary to Protestant Christianity.

Well I will start off with my opinion since I did ask did anyone have any thoughts..

I think that modern Judiasm is definitely different than the Judiasm practiced in the bible..As far as Catholism being contray to Protestant christianity..I think the are contrary to eachother...

Like I heard someone say that modern Jews aren't real Jews because they don't practice every single thing like Orthodox Jews do..I am not Jewish so I have no idea which is correct but I know that Jesus was a Jew and he abided by Jewish law, but Jesus freed us from the binds of the law when he died..right ?

What does everyone else think ?

Upvote 0

jukesk9

Dixie Whistlin' Papist
Feb 7, 2002
Arkansas
Visit site
✟13,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I could be wrong but save for temple sacrifices, I think Orthodox Judaism is the same as OT Judaism. I read somewhere once that the reason they don't have priests anymore is because the Temple is destroyed. I think the Orthodox still abstain from pork, refrain from unecessary labor on the Sabbath, pray for the dead, observe the Law (and its 613 commandments), etc. etc.

Orthodox Judaism views itself as the continuation of the beliefs and practices of normative Judaism, as accepted by the Jewish nation at Mt. Sinai and codified in successive generations in an ongoing process that continues to this day.

http://www.pacificnet.net/~faigin/SCJ/faq/02-04.html

A Reform Jew has the right to decide whether to subscribe to this particular belief or to that particular practice.

http://rj.org/rj.shtml

So, I would say to answer your question, Reform Judaism compared to Orthodox Judaism is what Protestantism is to Catholicism, IMHO.

Upvote 0
Quick answer: No it is not. Concerning the Law itself, the Pharisees invented far and beyond the laws David abided by. As far as religion goes, modern Judaism is in no relation to Davidic Judaism. David accepted the Messiah to come and to shed His blood for us. Modern Jews have the attitude of the first century Jews, in which they were expecting a militant Messiah (unBiblical). The Jews of that day, as a whole nation, were in no means of accepting the Messiah, which is why they didn't.

We are much more alike to Davidic Judaism than Jews are, in that we accept the Messiah!!!!

Upvote 0

judge

Sep 19, 2002
Visit site
✟318.00
Faith
Christian
Hi.

I think modern judaism is very different to davidic. Modern judaism only exists because they imagine that the new covenant has not come. But we know from hebrews 7:13 (or is it 8:13) that judaism as in the biblical old coveanat has passed away.

In short, no covenant, no real "judaism" (in the biblical sense anyway).

IOW the promises, even the "eternal" promises were conditional. One cannot inherit the promises if one is unfaithful.

In the same way most of the children of Israel were left behind when God moved into the promised land ,so most of the jews in our Lords time were left behind in a covevant that passed away as the reality came and was established.

Upvote 0