is metal music a sin? cuz if it is i'm screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
daveleau said:
Opening yourself up to worldly lyrics definitely causes problems that leads to sin. Music is defined (in this sense) by the lyrics. I used to listen to the hardest stuff I could get my hands on. Metallica and Led Zepp were as easy listening as I got. But, even though I steered away from overtly blasphemic songs, the lyrics are still centered around sin- anger, hatred, killing, sex, drugs, alcohol etc. We are supposed to separate ourselves from these influences. Even though I liked the music for the sound, and not the lyrics, I was still influenced by the lyrics. I had to stop.

Which way do you vote on my poll Dave?

Eminem-should I get rid of his CDs or not?

DIANE
:wave:

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LambOfGod14 said:
I've met people that say they are Christians yet they do drugs, play online shooting games, gamble, etc. Although there has always been violence so I guess that doesn't matter. And there are Christian metal bands, but how do you guys look at people like this? Do you look at them as though they are a bad reflection of a Christian? Or do you think it's ok? I listen to metal and play guitar and realized I've had to stop doing a few things while becoming Christian. And how did December 25 become a time where you give people presents and the whole Santa thing?

Thanks

I follow a simple rule when it comes to Christian music. If it drowns out Jesus, then it isn't glorifying God. And if it doesn't glorify God, it's not worth listening to.

Upvote 0

mnmcandiez

Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
✟16,016.00
Faith
Christian
Diane_Windsor said:
But I have an "attachment" to them, which is making this a difficult decision. *sigh*

Eminem-should I get rid of his CDs or not?

DIANE
:wave:

If it bugs you then get rid of them.

I listen to music that talks about killing people, drug use, anti-God, ect...but it doesnt affect me so I still listen to it.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
LambOfGod14 said:
I've met people that say they are Christians yet they do drugs, play online shooting games, gamble, etc. Although there has always been violence so I guess that doesn't matter. And there are Christian metal bands, but how do you guys look at people like this? Do you look at them as though they are a bad reflection of a Christian? Or do you think it's ok? I listen to metal and play guitar and realized I've had to stop doing a few things while becoming Christian.

I don't believe it's the music but the lyrics that is sinful. When the lyrics reflects and worships a sinful lifestyle then listening to such is partakeing in the worship of it. There are plenty of excellent christian metal groups who sing and play music to worship God but not themselves and the devil. If you love metal music then check them out instead.

Also it sounds to me that those people you know who claim to be christian are in slavery to sin and their actions show where their real loyalty lies. It sounds to me that they are more interested in serveing the devil and themselves then serving the Lord. Yet I will leave the judgment of them up to God.

Upvote 0

Eruliel

Jun 26, 2005
In Christ
Visit site
✟1,065.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Amb1 said:
No music is sinful by nature. Some music has lyrics that make it sinful.

I was being sarcastic. :p Sorry. I should've made it more obvious. I think music is music, whether it's jazz, techno, rock, soft rock, folk, celtic...whatever. The only rule is, it's got to be GOOD. Part of what we should strive for is goodness, so even if it's Christian themed music, if it's not any good then it's not worth listening to, and is just as unglorifying to God in it's mediocracy as the worst heavy acid death metal music song out there.
Slainte!
Eruliel

Upvote 0

Amb1

Jan 1, 2006
✟377.00
Faith
Protestant
woobadooba said:
If you ever listened to some of the stuff that I used to listen to, you would change your opinion. Even the music itself can be evil, not just the lyrics.

Perception of what is evil is a matter of individuality. There is music that I really don't like. My friend likes punk rock. It annoys me and gets on my nerves, but I don't think it is evil.

Upvote 0

woobadooba

Legend
Sep 4, 2005
✟10,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Amb1 said:
Perception of what is evil is a matter of individuality. There is music that I really don't like. My friend likes punk rock. It annoys me and gets on my nerves, but I don't think it is evil.

Punk rock is very mild compared to what I used to listen to, believe me.

Upvote 0

Rathvon350

adelphoi en Christos
Jan 2, 2006
Albemarle, NC
✟7,921.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My 2 cents:

I like all kinds of music, I'm with the folks who've got a little bit 'o Zeppelin in my collection and a wide variety of other types. Lately, though, as I've explored more Christian music and work my way towards the Almighty, I have had the desire to listen to much more Christian music because my heart desires to praise the Lord. Sadly, I don't write my own music, in fact most would agree I shouldn't sing at all so I have to use other peoples music. But!! I will not let the rocks cry out so those within ear shot will simply have to endure.

It is amazing what a wide variety of Christian music is out there. I have found, as many others have, that it helps when reaching people who like the heavier stuff to have something heavy with a good message.

:clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jasperbound

The Fragile Incarnate
May 20, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
✟4,138.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
woobadooba said:
I don't know what you mean by ska, but I used to listen to death metal before I became a Christian.

Me too. I don't anymore, because I got tired of Cradle of Filth (although I like that cover of "Hell Awaits") and I returned to my gothic roots. However, there's nothing wrong with the music that Joshua used to fit the battle of Jericho.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
woobadooba said:
I don't know what you mean by ska, but I used to listen to death metal before I became a Christian.

woobadooba, what do kids see in death metal? What was it that attracted you to it? I've heard some of it and read some lyrics and I just don't understand the apeal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

linssue55

Senior Veteran
Jul 31, 2005
Tucson Az
✟11,739.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
LambOfGod14 said:
I've met people that say they are Christians yet they do drugs, play online shooting games, gamble, etc. Although there has always been violence so I guess that doesn't matter. And there are Christian metal bands, but how do you guys look at people like this? Do you look at them as though they are a bad reflection of a Christian? Or do you think it's ok? I listen to metal and play guitar and realized I've had to stop doing a few things while becoming Christian. And how did December 25 become a time where you give people presents and the whole Santa thing?

Thanks
Just remember, that God set's down rules and mandates for us to follow, we are to "DISCERN" the good from the bad. Just because all of these Christians do what they do, doe's NOT make it right in the eyes of our Lord. Live "YOUR" life as unto the Lord, so don't worry about other's, for they are not your concern, they are the Lord's concern. You know what is right or wrong according to the Lord......follow Him, not other's.

Upvote 0

jasperbound

The Fragile Incarnate
May 20, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
✟4,138.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
nephilimiyr said:
woobadooba, what do kids see in death metal? What was it that attracted you to it? I've heard some of it and read some lyrics and I just don't understand the apeal.

Same reason people like any other music: it makes them feel good. The adrenaline rush is quite soothing!

Upvote 0

philN

Veteran
Mar 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
✟2,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you ever listened to some of the stuff that I used to listen to, you would change your opinion. Even the music itself can be evil, not just the lyrics.
I'm sorry, but this is among the most ridiculous claims that I have ever heard.

Music is amoral. It is not good or evil. It is music. If you listen to it and you want to punch a kitten, then maybe you should stay away from it (not because it is sinful, but because it causes you to sin). Otherwise, Christ has given us the freedom to glorify Him by enjoy all that he has created, music and lyrics included.

Reactions: -Kyriaki-
Upvote 0

philN

Veteran
Mar 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
✟2,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Then you don't know much about music. Certain types of music can cause a person to become extremely violent.
I'm a music journalist. That's how I pay for textbooks at school. I'm also hoping to get an internship at Rolling Stone next year. My music collection is a constantly expanding assortment of about 1000 cds and 200 vinyls. So I'm not completely ignorant on the subject of music.

I'm also an armchair theologian and enthusiast of philosophy and formal logic. Both of these topics would agree: Music does not make people violent. As a result of listening to music people can do violent things, but the music itself is not responsible. To say music makes people violent is like shooting someone and blaming the gun. People are responsible for their actions, not whatever album they were listening to at the time of those actions.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.