is metal music a sin? cuz if it is i'm screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LambOfGod14

Jan 2, 2006
✟7,618.00
Faith
Christian
I've met people that say they are Christians yet they do drugs, play online shooting games, gamble, etc. Although there has always been violence so I guess that doesn't matter. And there are Christian metal bands, but how do you guys look at people like this? Do you look at them as though they are a bad reflection of a Christian? Or do you think it's ok? I listen to metal and play guitar and realized I've had to stop doing a few things while becoming Christian. And how did December 25 become a time where you give people presents and the whole Santa thing?

Thanks

IowaLutheran

Veteran
Aug 29, 2004
Iowa
✟9,980.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
LambOfGod14 said:
I've met people that say they are Christians yet they do drugs, play online shooting games, gamble, etc. Although there has always been violence so I guess that doesn't matter. And there are Christian metal bands, but how do you guys look at people like this? Do you look at them as though they are a bad reflection of a Christian? Or do you think it's ok? I listen to metal and play guitar and realized I've had to stop doing a few things while becoming Christian. And how did December 25 become a time where you give people presents and the whole Santa thing?

Thanks

Listening to metal music in and of itself is not a sin. If it were, I am in trouble as my cd collection is full of old-school metal (Zeppelin, Deep Purple, etc.). If you listen to death metal and are enthralled by the message of death, doom, and gloom, then I would venture a guess and say it is in the sinful range. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

The Christmas question is a whole 'nother topic, but I think it has been only in the past couple hundred years that Christmas presents & Santa have been big.

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

LambOfGod14 said:

Thanks

Well, I am a Christian Grandma. I grew up with much different Christian music.

My answer, though, is no I don't think Christian metal music is sinful.
Do I like it? Honey, I can't even understand it.
However, I know several good Christian teens, including my grandaughter who likes it and listens to it and I think their hearts are beautiful.

I was a little concerned to begin with. I talked to some parents and some leaders and ministers and finally concluded it suited me fine.

You may find yourself reaching kids into secular metal music through your christian metal music. You may open doors to get these kids to know the Lord.

I pray you be filled with the Holy Spirit, receive the gifts He would give you and manifest His Fruits.
God Bless you. I love you in the Lord.

Reactions: Polycarp1
Upvote 0

mnmcandiez

Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
Visit site
✟16,016.00
Faith
Christian
LambOfGod14 said:

Thanks

I play shooting games and see nothing wrong with it.
I don't think listening to any kind of music is sinful/

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While we are on the subject, how about listening to someone like Eminem. His lyrics are not Christian, their is a lot of profanity, etc. I mainly ask because I'm going through my CD collection and throwing out the CDs I don't want. I'm debating throwing out my three Eminem CDs. Should I or shouldn't I?

DIANE
:wave:

Upvote 0

+RubiesFire+

Senior Veteran
Nov 1, 2005
✟18,386.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Diane_Windsor said:
While we are on the subject, how about listening to someone like Eminem. His lyrics are not Christian, their is a lot of profanity, etc. I mainly ask because I'm going through my CD collection and throwing out the CDs I don't want. I'm debating throwing out my three Eminem CDs. Should I or shouldn't I?

DIANE

I threw out many of my Cd's a few years ago because they had the same thing but it was not Eminem it was someone and I forgot who, but you do feel better when you do. I know I did.

Upvote 0

daveleau

In all you do, do it for Christ and w/ Him in mind
Apr 12, 2004
Bossier City, LA (removed from his native South C
✟22,974.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Opening yourself up to worldly lyrics definitely causes problems that leads to sin. Music is defined (in this sense) by the lyrics. I used to listen to the hardest stuff I could get my hands on. Metallica and Led Zepp were as easy listening as I got. But, even though I steered away from overtly blasphemic songs, the lyrics are still centered around sin- anger, hatred, killing, sex, drugs, alcohol etc. We are supposed to separate ourselves from these influences. Even though I liked the music for the sound, and not the lyrics, I was still influenced by the lyrics. I had to stop.

Since, I have turned to more gentle music. I'd consider myself a wimp if the old Metal Dave met the New Dave. :) This is not because of my age, but because of my spiritual experiences. God has led me to newer tastes. I like Christian metal still, and have been to a few Christian metal concerts in my neighborhood, but I like the spiritual music more now. I had issues in the past with the music I used to listen to that scared me. I don't want to get into my experiences in detail (LoG14, you can PM me about them if you like), but evil lyrics invites the devil into your life, regardless of whether you can consciously tell what they are saying.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LambOfGod14 said:

Thanks
Having bad taste in music isn’t a sin

But if your conscience condemns you for listening to it, you shouldn’t.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jebediah

Senior Veteran
Dec 8, 2005
✟3,940.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
LambOfGod14 said:

Thanks

Well, I definitely deleted my Marilyn Manson collection when I got saved. And music with a lot of profanity and anger did start bothering me, so them too...eventually I had very little secular music left and listen to almost exclusively Christian music.

But music (as in notes and beats) has no moral agency at all...lyrics are messages however, and do. Listen to whatever you want...but if you listen to lyrics you know are absolutely either anti-Christ or anti-Christ's message, it probably won't be very good for you.

As to movies and video games...it all depends. Does the game glorify violence and cruelty? There is a big difference between Grand Theft Auto and Counterstrike, and everyone knows it. In movies and books and so forth, the same thing. A horror movie isn't necessarily a problem...but does it glorify and encourage violence? A comedy isn't a problem, but does it encourage and glorify promiscuousness, drug addiction, and self-destruction?

You see what I am saying? It's ridiculous to say an entire class of media is sinful. Harry Potter is, while not all that high quality and a blatant manipulation of a target audience for vast cash flow, just a story and not of the debil.

SO metal isn't in and of itself sinful. Most Metallica would be fine...most Slayer would not...and an honest analysis of the bands and lyrics will tell you why.

Upvote 0

AwesomeMachine

Nov 10, 2005
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
✟613.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
LambOfGod14 said:

Thanks

I have noticed several references to popular music on this board. Popular music is a part of almost everyone, so much so that it is almost impossible to imagine life without it. That's the problem. No one can remember what it feels like to not be raised on rock music. I have listened to much popular music, and been addicted to it. An MP3 player, CD player, or anything which plays music is not what it appears. Physically it looks harmless, but spiritually it is a hypodermic syringe, which injects whatever you put in it, straight into your soul. With proper tonal rhythms, the soul gets addicted, and the entire person is on Satan's soul needle.

This wide dragnet, snagging almost the entire population, was necessary to kill a single individual. Satan didn't know who that was, but He knew when that person would be born by looking at the stars. The rhythmic beats of rock music intoxicate people into thinking the creator of the music has some special message for them, or that there is some profound truth to be found within the intoxicating rhythm. I have observed this is almost never the case, and rock music rhythms naturally stimulate sensuality.

Even in Christian rock music, the actual Name Jesus Christ is seldom mentioned, perhaps once in the entire song, if at all. This type of music prefers masculine pronouns, such as Him, or He, relying on context for the listener to discern what the masculine pronouns actually refer to. The monotonous, repetitive, deep beat stimulates sensuality for years after the listening has stopped. Some churches play monotonous rhythms, mixed with masculine pronouns, and the resulting intoxication is mistaken for the presence of The Holy Spirit. With the proper tonality and melody, coupled with suitable lyrics, music is a great aid to worship. I have found, in large groups of people, with rock music playing, many people see the source of the music as God. The are in the presence of Satan. Rock concerts are Satanic rituals where sin and debauchery almost always leads to injury and death, sexual sins, and everything which glorifies Satan. Rock musicians are like drug pushers, but if you are pushing Satan worship, and it kills people, there is no legal penalty.

Enslavement to ingrained sexual sin patterns is the result of listening to rock music rhythms, and glorification of sexual sin is a frequent theme to rock songs. It is almost impossible to get the soul needle out of your soul once it has been fixed. The toxin of the music does not harm the physical body, but does direct damage to the soul. This damage is permanent, and souls so damaged cannot be in the true presence of God. Direct and miraculous intervention by God Himself, coupled with confessing your sin each and every time a rhythm goes through you head, is the only way to ever be free again.

Some people will think I am full of it because this isn't in the Bible. There is no use for music listed in the Bible, except for praise and worship. This is because the only thing music can be used for is praise and worship. If the music you listen to doesn't glorify God, by mentioning Jesus Christ by Name, and avoiding a monotonous, repetitive, heavy beat, it is Satan worship to listen to it, and it damages the soul. All music is either worship to God, or Satan. There is no such thing as music which does not give worship to either Jesus Christ, The One God, or Satan. That is the entire purpose of music.

Why it took Satan so long to figure this method of destruction out is beyond me. To me it would seem an obvious way to take most of civilization to Hell. While there is yet still life, there is still hope. There is nothing to be gained from monotonous, repetitive, deep rhythms, especially when they are mixed with, at best, nebulous references to some generic masculine thing, and at worst, glorifying sin.

You can be free of Satan's soul needle. Just ask Jesus to set you free from Satan's soul injections. If you are enslaved to sexual sins, including masturbation, or any kind of gratification of lust, you should ask Jesus for help breaking free of this at the same time. Music feeds gratification of lust, and vice versa.

If you are currently in a lustful relationship, even a marriage with lust, you are in need of redemption. I go to a Catholic Church for confession because I need to confess my sins to someone, so I figure a Catholic Priest is a pretty safe bet for not telling anyone else what I confess. This way I get to get my sins out in the open, and the Priest grants me absolution if I am sincerely repentant.

At first, confession takes a long time. But after a few weeks it only takes like five minutes. It really feels like the sins are gone. It took me three years of abstinence from music, and four months of going to confession every week, plus confessing every time an old rock tune would go through my head (I would just say: "God, I confess I have a rock song going through my head. Please forgive me, by The Blood of Your Son Jesus, by His Sacrifice. I claim Jesus' gift of salvation as payment for my sin debt.") I just kept doing that for months. I stayed away from places that played popular rhythms, and from TV. After three years I am mostly free. I haven't had a rhythm going through my head for a while.

I can really feel the love of God, now. My head is a lot clearer. I know what I really want. The only reason I posted this is because if I don't, at the last judgement, I have to answer to God for not doing it. If I know something which can save peoples' souls, and I don't care enough about God, or His people to tell anyone, I go to Hell. So, if you want to break free, you can. If you want to stay on the needle, I can't stop you. Merry Christmas, and God Bless You.

Upvote 0

Eruliel

Jun 26, 2005
In Christ
Visit site
✟1,065.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As far as I'm concerned, if your conscience is bugging you about it, don't listen to it. If you're not sure it's not good to listen to don't listen to it... be convinced either way, and don't vascillate in your descision. For reading I would recommend Romans 14 and 1st Cornithians 8. It talks about alot of grey areas including music.
As far as the Santa Clause thing: He is based off a Byzantine bishop by the name of Nicholas who was extraordinarily generous with his funds. It's just that time and popular culture has blown his part in the Christmas festival far to much out of proportion.
Slainte!
Eruliel

Upvote 0

Amb1

Jan 1, 2006
✟377.00
Faith
Protestant
LambOfGod14 said:

Thanks

The sad truth is that a majority of Christians do not reflect a good or true Christian character. Of course it is not a sin to listen to, or like, metal music. But, I am positive that god does not like that kind of music, and if you want to please or bless him, you should change your taste in music. Doing drugs will almost always draw you away from God. And, that is the issue that God has with it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eruliel

Jun 26, 2005
In Christ
Visit site
✟1,065.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would disagree Caliban. The angels have been playing music since before Cain...it's just they haven't been playing trumpets...Tubal-Cain was the inventor of brass instruments. So we know now that Jazz is actually the most sinful music out there. You're safe with the heavey metal. :p ;)
Slainte!
Eruliel

Upvote 0

Amb1

Jan 1, 2006
✟377.00
Faith
Protestant
Eruliel said:
I would disagree Caliban. The angels have been playing music since before Cain...it's just they haven't been playing trumpets...Tubal-Cain was the inventor of brass instruments. So we know now that Jazz is actually the most sinful music out there. You're safe with the heavey metal. :p ;)
Slainte!
Eruliel
No music is sinful by nature. Some music has lyrics that make it sinful.

Upvote 0

Everlastinglife

1219 K♦Å♦Ŗ♦
Nov 24, 2005
United States
Visit site
✟15,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Psalms 25:9, "He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His way."

I Corinthians 2:13,14, This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned."

Upvote 0

Diane_Windsor

Senior Contributor
Jun 29, 2004
✟27,907.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
RubiesFire1382 said:
I threw out many of my Cd's a few years ago because they had the same thing but it was not Eminem it was someone and I forgot who, but you do feel better when you do. I know I did.

But I have an "attachment" to them, which is making this a difficult decision. *sigh*

Eminem-should I get rid of his CDs or not?

DIANE

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.