✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
GodActsOnMe said:
Mosaic Law is in the Bible. Do you believe in it?

If by Mosiac Law, you mean the series of arbitrary laws that don't mean anything, then no. If you mean the lessons taught in the Old Testament about God and basic morality, then yes.

Upvote 0

GodActsOnMe

Scientificum Christianus
Aug 6, 2012
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If by Mosiac Law, you mean the series of arbitrary laws that don't mean anything, then no. If you mean the lessons taught in the Old Testament about God and basic morality, then yes.

These laws meant everything for the Old Testament authors, so I'd argue that they mean a lot. As a matter of fact, they should be the first thing you look at. Just to get a sense of where our ancestors are coming from, after all, Jesus Christ was baptized as Jewish.

Basic morality should be intrinsic, whether or not we believe the Bible.

The majority of the Old Testament, in that case, is metaphor. That is why I think masturbation is acceptable, in moderation.

Upvote 0

AlmostAdult

Aug 7, 2012
USA
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Look... there is no actually a bible verse that is refering directly to masturbation... There is a story for a man in the Old Testament ''Genesis 38:3-10'' called Onan that "spilled his seed (sperm) on the ground" during sex .God was sad of him and killed him. But this story does not actually refers to masturbation.Anyway it is probably a sin because you become addicted to a non spiritual thing.And in my opinion sex should be expresion of love and not pleasure

Oh my gosh! He killed him for that?! Why?
I AM christian, but, this is just not something I read or heard in church!

But is it wrong to enjoy sexual pleasures? I'm not addicted and I don't praise it, it's not a new god or anything... D: :confused:

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
These laws meant everything for the Old Testament authors, so I'd argue that they mean a lot. As a matter of fact, they should be the first thing you look at. Just to get a sense of where our ancestors are coming from, after all, Jesus Christ was baptized as Jewish.

Basic morality should be intrinsic, whether or not we believe the Bible.

The majority of the Old Testament, in that case, is metaphor. That is why I think masturbation is acceptable, in moderation.

THINK? "...whatsoever is not of faith is sin." - (Romans 14:23).

(1 Peter 2:11) Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

It wars against the Soul aswell. It can invite sexual thoughts.

Masturbation is self-worship and fornication against one's own body. It's also sexual perversion.

I got convicted when I masturbated, so it's Sin. It opens door(s) for Satan. I know that because when I masturbated once, I felt oppression by a Perverse Spirit, and I could smell the Demon. Gift of Discernment between Spirits.

Romans 8
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

[staff edit]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Redheadedstepchild

Child of God
Site Supporter
Jun 3, 2007
2 weeks from everywhere
✟69,214.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Others
Mod Hat

Thread has undergone a minor thread cleaning.

ETA, I had to remove some additional posts and edit another. This forum is only for those between 15-19 years of age. If you are younger or older you may not post here. Thank you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
O

OneWithTime

Look... there is no actually a bible verse that is refering directly to masturbation... There is a story for a man in the Old Testament ''Genesis 38:3-10'' called Onan that "spilled his seed (sperm) on the ground" during sex .God was sad of him and killed him. But this story does not actually refers to masturbation.Anyway it is probably a sin because you become addicted to a non spiritual thing.And in my opinion sex should be expresion of love and not pleasure

Love is taught though while pleasure isn't. Humans are hedonistic by birth. Sex has very little to do about love and actually has nothing to do. It is purely pleasure and the hormones do not lie. This is a created concept that has very little relevance in human nature.
You tell a child what he feels is love then he will believe you until the day he dies. Sex and love are not the same thing as sex is just a natural urge to procreate or experience pleasure. Even Animals are hedonistic and monkeys are perfect examples of this. ALL sex is merely pleasure or procreation

Upvote 0

GodActsOnMe

Scientificum Christianus
Aug 6, 2012
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
THINK? "...whatsoever is not of faith is sin." - (Romans 14:23).

(1 Peter 2:11) Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul;

It wars against the Soul aswell. It can invite sexual thoughts.

Masturbation is self-worship and fornication against one's own body. It's also sexual perversion.

I got convicted when I masturbated, so it's Sin. It opens door(s) for Satan. I know that because when I masturbated once, I felt oppression by a Perverse Spirit, and I could smell the Demon. Gift of Discernment between Spirits.

Romans 8
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

[staff edit]

First of all, to say that "thinking" is a bad thing is ridiculous. This is precisely why I dislike debating with my fellow Christians who take the Bible at face value.

Additionally, I have known literally hundreds of people who have masturbated, and literally nothing has happened to them. They did not become crazed, lustful freaks. They remained like a normal human being. It sounds to me like you need to read up on psychology.

1 Peter 3:1 -3

1. Likewise, ye wives, [be] in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives;
2 While they behold your chaste conversation [coupled] with fear.
3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;

Do you follow this? What makes you think you can pick and choose in the Bible? To think is a sin.

Please tell me how masturbation is self-worship. It is the release of sexual tension that has been tied to all sorts of medical illnesses. You either get sick and raise your chances of cancer, or you trust modern science and live a healthy life without the suffering of anybody. Let's be honest here, we are all afraid of the consequences of not doing it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First of all, to say that "thinking" is a bad thing is ridiculous. This is precisely why I dislike debating with my fellow Christians who take the Bible at face value.

I didn't say thinking is a bad thing. I meant that if you are doubtful about masturbation being okay, yet you do it, then it's Sin (Rom 14:23). Well it's a Sin anyways.

Additionally, I have known literally hundreds of people who have masturbated, and literally nothing has happened to them. They did not become crazed, lustful freaks. They remained like a normal human being. It sounds to me like you need to read up on psychology.

Well, just because they don't become crazed, lustful doesn't mean it's okay to touch. We don't need to touch.. the sperm releases in the night, when we sleep.

I don't need to read up on psychology. You can't justify masturbation with such arguments. You need to walk in the Spirit, and have a Spiritual mindset. Not carnal mind, which looks at what's "good for the health", and thinking "nothing happened to other people who masturbated". You can't reason like that, you need to reason with the Word of God. God keeps us healthy, when we walk in the Spirit and obey him etc. I don't touch, I'm all fine. In fact, if I touch it just gets worse - I get urges to do it over and over then.

Would Jesus touch? (1 John 2:6) He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

(2 Cor 5:15 NKJV) and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again.

The Holy Spirit convicted me when I masturbated. Even if I don't lust, he convicts me. It's Sinful. It's a Sexual perversion. I know from own experience that it's a Sexual perversion, which is Sin, because when I do it, a Perverse Spirit comes - I could smell the demon and I'd feel uncomfortable in my Spirit, and get tempted with sexual thoughts. I know it invites a Perverse Spirit because I have The Gift of Discernment between Spirits. I can Smell and feel demons.

FEAR GOD - Hate evil, flee evil!
Walk in the Spirit. Masturbation is of the flesh.

Romans 8:4-8
New King James Version (NKJV)
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GodActsOnMe

Scientificum Christianus
Aug 6, 2012
✟15,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought I had already made it clear that I do not believe what the Bible says about masturbation. Additionally, I don't believe you have any superpowers, so your story means absolutely nothing to me.

Lastly, I do not have doubts. I told you my reasons why I find it acceptable, and I have also previously stated that lust is part of human evolution.

Upvote 0

AlmostAdult

Aug 7, 2012
USA
✟15,133.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm reading a lot of Odin/Onan (I'm seeing different spellings in my bibles. Typo? Iunno. Same verses.) And how God killed him for "spilling his seed" on the ground.
But I think he may have actually just been angry because he was having sex with his brother's wife. Opinions?

(I guess you could also "Ray Comfort" this and say "Well, it fits perfectly in our hands, so God must have made it for us and that purpose! Lets not pretend that it somehow fits better... well, you know where. Girls, you know thats uncomfortable enough for tampons, no way it will somehow "fit better" if its the male sexual organ.)

And on the same topic, this also brings the question of the importance of the seed. I understand we use it to fertilize and bring more offspring. What of the infertile? The seed that cannot make babies? Can infertile people touch with no sin? Or should they automatically be called out as "sinners" because God allowed them to be born infertile? I don't think he could make an accident, do you?
And again with the seed- this is only important for the men, I would assume. Girls, we flush out eggs all the time, and call them periods. Masturbating will not cause a girl to lose an egg.

I just don't think offspring really has anything to do with whether or not masturbation is a sin or not. The bible gets pretty specific about not doing lots of things, even down to not eating shellfish or getting rounded haircuts, so if there is no mention of even something close to masturbation, I'm going to assume God was "cool with it".

Upvote 0

VA Hunter

Aug 19, 2012
Virginia
✟15,120.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Well here's the thing, nowhere in the Holy Bible does it say anything about masturbation, so we kind of have to figure it out ourselves. I honestly do not see a problem with it, with some exceptions. As long as you do not think lustfully or become obsessed with masturbation it's not generally considered a sin. That's just my take on the subject.

Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I thought I had already made it clear that I do not believe what the Bible says about masturbation. Additionally, I don't believe you have any superpowers, so your story means absolutely nothing to me.

Lastly, I do not have doubts. I told you my reasons why I find it acceptable, and I have also previously stated that lust is part of human evolution.

Well, since you don't believe what The Word of God says, then you rebel against God which is a Sin. It doesn't matter what YOUR reasons why YOU find it acceptable are, when the Word of God says something else. That is Prideful. Lust is part of human evolution? What do you mean by evolution? Evolutionism? It's not biblical, since God created us in his own image, and he wasn't a monkey, and he doesn't need to use evolution. We don't evolve from humans to apes. The Word of God refutes the Lie of Evolution. Lust is of the flesh (our sinful nature). Something that entered the World when Adam sinned (Rom 5:12).

You can't get into Heaven if you walk after the flesh (read Romans 8).

I'm praying for you that you will be led to repentance, and into the truth. Praying That Jesus will have mercy, and that Holy Spirit will Convict you.

I just don't think offspring really has anything to do with whether or not masturbation is a sin or not. The bible gets pretty specific about not doing lots of things, even down to not eating shellfish or getting rounded haircuts, so if there is no mention of even something close to masturbation, I'm going to assume God was "cool with it".

Yes it's Sin. Read my previous posts in this thread. It's self-idolatry.

Well here's the thing, nowhere in the Holy Bible does it say anything about masturbation, so we kind of have to figure it out ourselves. I honestly do not see a problem with it, with some exceptions. As long as you do not think lustfully or become obsessed with masturbation it's not generally considered a sin. That's just my take on the subject.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OrenG

Aug 19, 2012
San Fernando Valley, California
✟15,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, since you don't believe what The Word of God says, then you rebel against God which is a Sin. It doesn't matter what YOUR reasons why YOU find it acceptable are, when the Word of God says something else. That is Prideful. Lust is part of human evolution? What do you mean by evolution? Evolutionism? It's not biblical, since God created us in his own image, and he wasn't a monkey, and he doesn't need to use evolution. We don't evolve from humans to apes. The Word of God refutes the Lie of Evolution. Lust is of the flesh (our sinful nature). Something that entered the World when Adam sinned (Rom 5:12).

You can't get into Heaven if you walk after the flesh (read Romans 8).

I'm praying for you that you will be led to repentance, and into the truth. Praying That Jesus will have mercy, and that Holy Spirit will Convict you.

I'm not really sure how masturbating is self-idolatry. They are not pleasuring themselves to the idea of themselves, to their own image, to anything linked to them other then being involved with a partner in some way. It is emulation of intercourse.

I mean if you're going to go that far, you could say that every time someone gives into a craving for a food they really like, or does another non-sexual activity that pleases a desire they have, they are committing self-idolatry which is a stretch to say the least.

Anymore than killing a non-existent character in a video game is murder, I don't think masturbation is adultery.

I think in the long run you'll see that if masturbation is a sin, most of the people ever born are going to be burning in eternity for a biological function we all have.

In regards to Onan, I believe he was slain by God because he was choosing not to have children. As everyone well knows men generate sperm throughout their life (so it's not like he wasted his one and only load), so this was an obvious choice by Onan to not bear children when having intercourse with his wife. You are therefore not rejecting intercourse and insemination with your wife if you don't have one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonathan95

Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Sweden
✟19,477.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I mean if you're going to go that far, you could say that every time someone gives into a craving for a food they really like, or does another non-sexual activity that pleases a desire they have, they are committing self-idolatry which is a stretch to say the least.

You NEED food, but you don't NEED masturbation. Masturbation is Sin whether you Lust or not. Whether you do it to gain sexual satisfaction or not, it's still a Sin. I know this from own experience.

"Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness." Romans 6:19-20 ESV

If you are masturbating, you are pleasing only yourself. Your actions are displeasing to God because you are "in the flesh" and a slave to lust. You are offering the members of your body in slavery to impurity and your mind is set on what the flesh desires.

"Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires." Romans 8:5 ESV

"So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." Romans 8:8 ESV

I think in the long run you'll see that if masturbation is a sin, most of the people ever born are going to be burning in eternity for a biological function we all have.

Masturbation is a Sexual perversion. Sexually immoral.

Upvote 0

OrenG

Aug 19, 2012
✟15,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You NEED food, but you don't NEED masturbation. Masturbation is Sin whether you Lust or not. Whether you do it to gain sexual satisfaction or not, it's still a Sin. I know this from own experience.

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. You may NEED food but you do not NEED foods that taste good to you. Anyone can survive on bread, meat and water but the human mind wishes to taste flavors, experience vibrancy and delight in the food we eat.

So what I'm saying is, you could apply that same argument to that example, and see just how ridiculous it is.

"Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness." Romans 6:19-20 ESV

If you are masturbating, you are pleasing only yourself. Your actions are displeasing to God because you are "in the flesh" and a slave to lust. You are offering the members of your body in slavery to impurity and your mind is set on what the flesh desires.

As I illustrated above, there are many things we do in life that are not honoring God. This seems like a pretty hard concept for you to grasp, one must pay the bills, put food on the table, and one must enjoy himself to keep himself from going absolutely crazy. We are not holy and free from impurities, we can't simply work until the day we die without stopping and enjoying ourselves, and some of us May or may not be directly thinking about God when those things are occurring. And from what you're telling me, I'm probably going to Hell for all of these things.

Being sinful is human nature, we all have things about us that are sinful, no one is free from it. I'm not saying don't try to live without it, but you seem to be quite upset over the thought and I'm not understanding that. God sent his only son to die on the cross for that very reason, if he hadn't we would all be doomed to an eternity serving in Hell.

"Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires." Romans 8:5 ESV

"So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." Romans 8:8 ESV

So basically what you're pointing out is since it's very unlikely most of us will live in spirit and not in flesh completely, we cannot please God? Then I guess I'm out of luck then, I'm not perfect.

As VA Hunter said, there aren't any verses that specifically deal with masturbation, and if it was such a huge problem, I'm pretty sure someone somewhere would have mentioned it specifically. All we have to go on is what you speculate the answer might be based on some passages you've read, which there's nothing wrong with it, but it's not exactly cut and dry and really get's down to what your personal word is on the matter.

I feel that God made the most heinous of sins very obvious, such as in the Ten commandments. Notice how all these involve either worshiping another God, or doing something that to your neighbor, that you would not like your neighbor to do on to you. I think God overall cares more about how we interact with each other, and how we interact with him, than he cares about us releasing a biological desire we have, that will occur anyways if we don't do it, in a much less satisfying way. Our body will spill sperm on it's own via nocturnal emissions, and also reabsorbs any unused sperm back into our bodies. So if it's an issue of spilling sperm that will never form into a baby, then we are guilty of this without even doing anything about it.

I'm glad that you were blessed with Evangelism and Witnessing as some of your gifts, or at least so it seems as such, however not all of us have this and cannot follow God's law so strictly as you seem to be able to. However you must realize that acting like an ultimate authority on things is bordering on judgmental, and that in and of it self is a sin. There is a very distinct difference between what the Bible says, and how someone interprets it, hence why we have so many denominations of Christianity. It's due to how even we as Christians disagree on things and therefore form another church that focuses or leaves out something that was displeasing or non-nonsensical to them.

I tend to live my life closer to how the Jews live theirs, focusing on having a good life, and how we appear to others, rather than doing it for any reason God would have us do it although I do see the reasons and I do abide by them, but this is not my only reason for doing so, doing it because it makes us good human beings. And honestly I can see in no way how masturbation makes someone less of a person, or even evil.

You call it sexual perversion, but to be sexual one must be with another person, otherwise it's asexual. I can see the fault in anal sex, oral sex, etc because this is going against what God intended us to use sex for, but being asexual doesn't appear to me, to be listed as any sort of perversion and does not harm anyone else in the process. I honestly do not think that any of the passages in the bible, that appear to forbid unclean thoughts, or thoughts of committing sin are intended to be such. I think the reason behind them being at least frowned upon is because thoughts lead to actions, and the actions are what really counts. Anymore then this and the Bible starts to become a sort of thought police, that I absolutely refuse to believe considering we often times cannot control our thoughts, and if we have no control how can we be punished? How can a thought crossing our mind that comes from absolutely no where intentional, be thought of as sin?

As AlmostAdult pointed out, God was very specific with his instructions on how we are to live and operate here on earth. He made sure to put forth what was forbidden and hasn't really said much about what is not, so as I stated earlier, I think if it's as big of an issue as you are making it out to be, it would have been explicitly spelled out somewhere in the bible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Person of

Ο άγγελος του υποκόσμου
Aug 25, 2012
Dallas, Texas
✟15,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, it isn't a sin. So far, I've seen 0 posts or even arguments that hold any true value to the discussion of those against it.

How is it wrong? Where in the Bible does it address it?

Sin is the trespassing of God's law. Murder, homosexuality, lying, etc. are all sins because, God forbade those actions. Had he not, they would not be sin. Masturbation is no different.

Upvote 0

OrenG

Aug 19, 2012
✟15,162.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, it isn't a sin. So far, I've seen 0 posts or even arguments that hold any true value to the discussion of those against it.

How is it wrong? Where in the Bible does it address it?

Sin is the trespassing of God's law. Murder, homosexuality, lying, etc. are all sins because, God forbade those actions. Had he not, they would not be sin. Masturbation is no different.

Exactly. It really is more a matter of personal choice, if someone doesn't want to do it, they don't have to. But I find that's rarely the case.

Upvote 0