Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What the heck, I'm bored so I'll prticipate anyway.

Ryupower said:
I think it's sin. It's selfish and lustful.
So is scratching your back. It's really satisfying. When you touch, it's not like you take something away from someone. It's not like you're keeping for yourself what you should give someone else.

RP1000 said:
hhmm I question that(??) .. I think sex is meant to be pleasing for both

God could have easily made us that only the other person had pleasure during sex but he didn't
Yeah, but isn't sex between two people by definition?
If you have food for two people and nobody shows up, is it sinful to eat your portion alone?

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm surprised by the tone of some of the posts in regards to the original OP's question - from my viewpoint, it's like trying to make the person feel guilty and you can't guilt yourself out of a problem, if masturbation is a problem for the person. (either pyschologically or the biblical viewpoint of some people) Not accusing anybody of making the OP feel guilty, it just comes across that way when I read it. Especially the assumption that masturbation is associated with inappropriate content or that there's something really wrong with you as a human being for doing it.
By the bible, it's a sin I'm not disputing that but there's tons of sins in there that in my view are much worse and more problematic than somebody doing their thing in private and only *harming themselves*. When it comes to personal preference and being an imperfect human - I'd rather fly solo and not get all crabby because I have physical issues a husband can't give (I'm divorced) than to sleep around and regret it. It's trading one sin for another, I guess.
Us ladies have a certain area on our body that has only one purpose and a lot of times it really doesn't need lustful thoughts to do its job.
I'd rather sin in that department then commit the sin of judgment on somebody else for doing it.

Pax

Upvote 0

julian the apostate

rule byzantium
Jun 2, 2004
✟1,678.00
Faith
Anglican
We were riding in the car, and my dad said, “Jim, when I was a boy, I worried so much about masturbation. It really became a scary thing for me because I thought God was condemning me for what I couldn’t help. So I’m telling you now that I hope you don’t feel the need to engage in this act when you reach the teen years, but if you do, you shouldn’t be too concerned about it. I don’t believe it has much to do with your relationship with God.”

What a compassionate thing my father did for me that night in the car. He was a very conservative minister who never compromised his standards of morality to the day of his death. He stood like a rock for biblical principles and commandments. Yet he cared enough about me to lift from my shoulders the burden of guilt that nearly destroyed some of my friends in the church. This kind of “reasonable” faith taught to me by my parents is one of the primary reasons I never felt it necessary to rebel against parental authority or defy God.

Those are my views, for what they are worth. I know my recommendations will be inflammatory to some people. If you are one of them, please forgive me. I can only offer the best advice of which I’m capable. I pray that in this instance I am right. — Dr. James Dobson

Upvote 0
R

RP1000

We were riding in the car, and my dad said, “Jim, when I was a boy, I worried so much about masturbation. It really became a scary thing for me because I thought God was condemning me for what I couldn’t help. So I’m telling you now that I hope you don’t feel the need to engage in this act when you reach the teen years, but if you do, you shouldn’t be too concerned about it. I don’t believe it has much to do with your relationship with God.”

What a compassionate thing my father did for me that night in the car. He was a very conservative minister who never compromised his standards of morality to the day of his death. He stood like a rock for biblical principles and commandments. Yet he cared enough about me to lift from my shoulders the burden of guilt that nearly destroyed some of my friends in the church. This kind of “reasonable” faith taught to me by my parents is one of the primary reasons I never felt it necessary to rebel against parental authority or defy God.

Those are my views, for what they are worth. I know my recommendations will be inflammatory to some people. If you are one of them, please forgive me. I can only offer the best advice of which I’m capable. I pray that in this instance I am right. — Dr. James Dobson
hhmmm very interesting, thanks for that

I have already made up my own mind before God (we all have to on questionable matters) but its always good to hear other points of view.

I really respect Dr James Dobson!

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟16,224.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This question I've observed on a lot of message boards and I've seen it argued both ways. Just the fact that it is being asked "is it wrong?" indicates to me that the people posing the question are having their conscience pricked that it COULD be wrong.

I believe M is wrong. God makes no room for sexual immorality of any kind, He designed sex to be in a marriage. That includes single people. The heart is involved in M, because in order to do it, fantasy is involved. I took a course at Setting Captives Free called Way of Purity. I am now free of M and fantasy, all because I asked myself that same question one day "is it wrong?" after I'd spent YEARS engaging in it. If you have a heart to hear, He'll tell you it is. I just did not want to admit to myself that it could be wrong.
I can tell you, help is available! Even in gray areas, it it not truly gray, if you have a concordance, look up immorality, fornication, etc. 1 Corinthians 6 even mentions that if we engage HABITUALLY in any kind of immorality, well read it for yourself.

I enjoy life so much better now.:)
Jan

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Asaph said:
Imagine Jesus' mom, Mary, laid out naked and seductively on a bed.

Now do you think this is something God fosters in His Kingdom?

Is it a sin? What a religious and stupid question.

Asaph

I don't know her whole story, but wasn't she (eventually) married? And why bring her up in this particular thread?

The over all post seems to be directed more towards singles and how their facing/dealing with it. I wouldn't want to imagine that above scenerio because I'm a female and I prefer males. :thumbsup:

And no, I'm not imagining Jesus, shame on anybody who automaticaly thought it before reading this.

biblically, Masturbating a sin - so is lying, cheating, stealing, judging, etc. People deal with sin in what ways they can. I'm certainly not going to tell somebody like the OP what to do when it's going to depend on his/her maturity and comfort level and how a person can deal with facing up to it or their life's actions in general while their still here on earth and subject to human error.
It's not a stupid question if the person is trying to find their own comfort level for dealing by asking people's opinions and figuring out which person's answer jives with their conscious. Perhaps it's self-justification but maybe people ought to ask themselves what they're doing if little thoughts like cheating on their taxes or judging somebody on a message board runs into their head at any given time of day. It's the same thing.

Upvote 0

Anduron

Jun 7, 2004
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
Is it or isn't it? That is the question? Who will be the one the speak the truth of weather or not it is or isn't? How simple of a question to answer, yet none wish to heed the answer nor even ask the right one for the answer. We humans tend to give in to our own wants, before we do that which is directed from God.
We tend to say, "I believe","I think","In my opinion", in starting such a statement, it is wiser to bite upon you're tongue than to speak fallacy(in such instances of truth when our Lord has no place on our tongue for the speaker gives not up their own). For is it of you're own that knows that if it is a sin or not?
The word is not given in the Bible? Was there a word for masturbation in the old hebrew tongue? What about the Greek? Perhaps there was, perhaps there wasn't.
Scripture is given in such a manner which screams with truth of this subject. But does one adhear to that? No. For who would believe the Word of God over their own mind? Why would they want to?
Ah yes. The Lord shows two different truths to two different people. Our God cannot lie, than why does those say that He can? Perhaps there is another at work besides ones own? The conscience is the same in all, but those drown it out with the movement of tongue, thought, and feeling.

Now what would I have to say about this? If I were to give of my own account, would that matter? No, it would not. So instead of asking weather or not something be a sin to another human, ask God instead in the name of His son. Until you recieve an answer, don't do it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dane_hemm

Feb 10, 2005
✟136.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Lucubratus said:
By the bible, it's a sin I'm not disputing that but there's tons of sins in there that in my view are much worse and more problematic than somebody doing their thing in private and only *harming themselves*. Pax

There is no diffrence in sin it is all the same from killing someone to just thinking idolterous thoughts . dont make a gray zone or dont be luke worm because then you contort the word of god. and yah dont try to guilt the person but rather help with advice . Masturbation realy brings in a whole world of other problems from inapropriate thoughts about some women besides your wife ; it is no diffrent then sleeping with them becasue you did it in you mind any way. all the way to anger and guilt and if it bothers you, a place of fealling unwothy to enter the presence of god.

over all though if it is not a sin to you then it isn't but there will come a point when god will want to get rid of it and get you to seek him for enjoyment ( not sexualy or anything) and seek him for all your need. we are called to life bye the spirit and not bye the flesh .

when someone fasts it is to give something to god and to kill the temptation of the flesh. and for men one of the the biggest fleshly desires is sex so to live in the spirit is to not do things acording to what the flesh want.

any way pray about it if god tells you to stop then stop and if you ant hear the voice of god yet then talk to a pastor or spiritual leader.

Upvote 0

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
Lucubratus said:
I don't know her whole story, but wasn't she (eventually) married? And why bring her up in this particular thread?

The over all post seems to be directed more towards singles and how their facing/dealing with it. I wouldn't want to imagine that above scenerio because I'm a female and I prefer males. :thumbsup:

And no, I'm not imagining Jesus, shame on anybody who automaticaly thought it before reading this.

biblically, Masturbating a sin - so is lying, cheating, stealing, judging, etc. People deal with sin in what ways they can. I'm certainly not going to tell somebody like the OP what to do when it's going to depend on his/her maturity and comfort level and how a person can deal with facing up to it or their life's actions in general while their still here on earth and subject to human error.
It's not a stupid question if the person is trying to find their own comfort level for dealing by asking people's opinions and figuring out which person's answer jives with their conscious. Perhaps it's self-justification but maybe people ought to ask themselves what they're doing if little thoughts like cheating on their taxes or judging somebody on a message board runs into their head at any given time of day. It's the same thing.

Yeah, you may be right, but I was trying to go intentionally overblown to make a point.

The question itself isn't the problem. The problem is that a person cannot simultaniously walk in the Spirit and hold this question in their thoughts.

The question is worldly not spiritual.

That's my point.

I do apologise to anyone who was offended by my post though. I will remove it if that is the case.

Asaph

Upvote 0

urnotme

Jun 8, 2005
✟2,580.00
Faith
Nazarene
Of course not I mean you got to do something.God gave us a sex drive,if someone is not married he said don't have sex but you still have a sex drive. If masturbation is a sin I think it's a lesser sin then committing adultry. Jesus told us not to lust after a woman or it is as if we had sex with her, it's lust that is a sin.If you touch and don't lust it's not a sin.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lismore said:
Lots of people say if you cant manage then you should get married, but theres lots of people who cant get married, for a whole range of reasons. So guess you're right.

....yeah, but this almost sounds like masturbation is a necessity to live....is it? No. Will you die if you don't touch? No.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ginny said:
....yeah, but this almost sounds like masturbation is a necessity to live....is it? No. Will you die if you don't touch? No.

Hi Ginny

Depends on the person and why they're doing it: hormonal, spiritual, physical.

For some people, unless the Lord sets them free, it will be either: continue, build the lust up and risk doing really bad, or: Matthew 5:30 NIV: And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.- catch my drift here?

Its easy to judge someone by your own standards, but it doesnt mean a thing to them.

:)

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
lismore said:
It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.- catch my drift here?

Actually, no I do not. Are you stating that instead of sinning one way, sin another? For example, if masturbation is a sin and so is adultery, it is better to touch than commit adultery?

lismore said:
Its easy to judge someone by your own standards, but it doesnt mean a thing to them.

I was not judging nor did I say anything that implied that.

From a physcial aspect, please post me the link to death by lack of masturbation. Yeah, one may FEEL like they are going to die, but that is truly not the case.

Upvote 0

Lucubratus

Mar 16, 2004
✟683.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Asaph I was asking mainly because i wasn't sure where you were going with the Mary angle...
but at any rate - there seems to me, an assumption - only an assumption - and how I am reading the "tone" on this subject, that some are thinking masturbating is going to lead to all sorts of trouble, like listening to heavy metal is going to cause somebody to go out and do drugs or shoot somebody. It happens, not saying it doesn't - but to come to that conclusion with somebody on a message board is rather judgemental.
Trading one sin for another - masturbating vs. adultery - there's no difference biblically but again, it's a comfort level for the person. We sin that's all there is to it, but just my opinion - masturbating in a responsible way causes less damage than running around and committing adultery. In the world view, it's a lot safer for sure.
If it really is bothering somebody in their relationship with God and causing so much guilt, more power to them to deal with it through prayer/scripture and their fellowshipping.

Upvote 0

Asaph

Jun 9, 2004
Deep South
✟5,795.00
Faith
Christian
Lucubratus said:
Asaph I was asking mainly because i wasn't sure where you were going with the Mary angle...
but at any rate - there seems to me, an assumption - only an assumption - and how I am reading the "tone" on this subject, that some are thinking masturbating is going to lead to all sorts of trouble, like listening to heavy metal is going to cause somebody to go out and do drugs or shoot somebody. It happens, not saying it doesn't - but to come to that conclusion with somebody on a message board is rather judgemental.
Trading one sin for another - masturbating vs. adultery - there's no difference biblically but again, it's a comfort level for the person. We sin that's all there is to it, but just my opinion - masturbating in a responsible way causes less damage than running around and committing adultery. In the world view, it's a lot safer for sure.
If it really is bothering somebody in their relationship with God and causing so much guilt, more power to them to deal with it through prayer/scripture and their fellowshipping.

I just disagree with the notion that one is less ungodly than the other. I do not believe that. Both are a symptom of a fleshly walk. Turn to the Lord.

Walk in the Spirit and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Asaph

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.