Not open for further replies.

SoulFly51

Sep 19, 2004
✟9,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In my opinion it depends on where his mind goes. He's married to you so logic tells me that it would be alright for him to have sexual thoughts about his wife.

If he's lusting after other women who he isn't married to or looking at inappropriate contentography then I would say its a problem.

Again, its not the act of masturbation that is sinful - its the impure thoughts that can go along with masturbation that are sinful. The Bible makes it pretty clear it is sinful to lust after a woman you aren't married to.

Upvote 0

DiscipleOfIAm

Nov 10, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
✟8,862.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly! You're probably not thinking about last night's football game while doing this.....well, I guess you could be, but let's say most men would not be and women can use their own example. WOW! I almost got into trouble there.

Anyway, the thoughts that enter the mind, lustful thoughts, are the sin part. I've heard some married folks state they are thinking of their spouse while performing this act, but then again you are short changing your spouse by doing this.

I suppose one could also argue that it is better than committing adultery or pre-marital relations. But, you could also say that stealing is better than killing someone. They're both sinful acts.

BTW, there is a sticky in the "Men's Corner" concerning this topic.

God Bless

Upvote 0

PapaLandShark

Post Tenebras Lux
Dec 4, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟4,274.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Ah...I can see this is a discussion that would likely be tossed into CA if I continue. I guess I'm just a freak when it comes to this.

Lets just leave it at If you are placing anything before God it's generally a sin. I don't worship my penis OR my opinion.

Upvote 0

Lordbay

Oct 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
✟8,498.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
nifty girl said:
Hi, all! I just found this website today and happened to stumble upon this discussion. I have a question, what if masturbation is necessary for a fertility treatment such as AI (artificial insemination)? Would my husband be sinning because he committed that act to help us conceive a child? I'm very interested because my husband has done that in the past and will probably have to do it in the future. Thanks in advance for your input!
Good point!!! I might have to do that for us. I don't want to look at any aids for me to do it. I heard you can do it at home and carry it under your arm to keep it warm. If I have too, I want my wife to help and be there to help me do it. That way, so I don't have to use lust or inappropriate contento.:)

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
BigToe said:
One can touch and not think anything sexual. I think that is what PLS is trying to say.
Well it's been said. I think people here are generally thinking that masturbation and inappropriate contentography or lust is inseparable in all cases. Then again in some states in the US, oral sex with your spouse is sin and illegal. I'm sure some say other forms of sexual types of contact with yourself or your spouse is considered sin as well... the things at least that the bible does not teach as wrong.

Upvote 0

womanofgodwcci

Militant Intercessor-You better ask somebody!!
Jan 4, 2005
Georgia
✟16,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So because it is not mentioned verbatim it is okay? :scratch: No way. It is sexual immorality and sexual impurity and it is to satisfy your flesh so that makes it a sin. Homosexuality is not mentioned verbatim, but it is implied in several verses of the word of God. It is not about consciousness, it is about are you glorifying God or satisfying your flesh?

I'm an original, designed by the Father, for the Father!!:angel:

Upvote 0

julian the apostate

rule byzantium
Jun 2, 2004
✟1,678.00
Faith
Anglican
james dobson said that when he was a young man his father spoke to him about masturbation and told him that it would in no way effect his relationship with God

dobson to this day says that it is not a sin

i went to a church once where they said it was ok , but that you shouldnt think lustful thoughts while doing it,, they recommended singing the doxology

i told that once to a priest i knew, and he said he would recommend professional counseling for anyone who would could touch without thinking of sex

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
womanofgodwcci said:
... it is to satisfy your flesh so that makes it a sin.

Sooo... from that line of thinking, Chocolate, ice cream, fudge and anything which someone refers to as "better than sex" (i.e. skydiving) is by your definition, a sin.

Yes there is good reason to deny the flesh but one also must take care of ones body, or if you are married, your spouses body. It still comes down to the fact that calling this function a sin, well it's not scriptural. In a case like this, it's a decision of your personal conscience. It's better not to, but in some cases it can be better than facing situations in weakness which can be a stumbling block for yourself as well as for others.

sculpturegirl said:
Perhaps it is better than fornicating. It that keeps your sexual urges at bay, then go ahead. Never go against your own conscience, though.
I remember when I was a teen and a friend of mine said something like this. She said she did this stuff, I was surprised she said this and asked why, She said that it was better to do it yourself than to be with someone you don't want to be with. I was a crazy teen, maybe I should have done that more often... :sorry: :holy:

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
sculpturegirl said:
Perhaps it is better than fornicating. It that keeps your sexual urges at bay, then go ahead. Never go against your own conscience, though.

Hi Friends:wave:

Regardless of wether you think its a sin or not, its only too easy to judge someone else by your own standards. Because one person doesnt do it it doesnt mean that another person doesnt have hormonal/spiritual/ pyscological issues. :crossrc:

Reactions: BigToe
Upvote 0

womanofgodwcci

Jan 4, 2005
Georgia
✟16,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Faith_Warrior said:
Sooo... from that line of thinking, Chocolate, ice cream, fudge and anything which someone refers to as "better than sex" (i.e. skydiving) is by your definition, a sin.

You are assuming something that I did not at all imply.:confused: You are comparing food and extra curricular activities to sex/masturbation. There is no comparison. It is not MY definition of sin, it is God's word. Sin is not the act of doing something wrong, sin begins in your mind and how you think.
Romans 8
5For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit. 6For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
We are not talking about the cliche', we are talking about defiling the temple of the Holy Ghost, which is your body. How do you think the Holy Spirit feels when you are masturbating? Is He getting off on it? Of course as far as the other stuff you mentioned, if it begins to take over your life and leads you to gluttony or overexcessiveness that does become a sin, because it becomes first over you relationship with Christ and you begin to form an idol.

Galatians 5:13
For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

1 Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
or
Everything is permissible (allowable and lawful) for me; but not all things are helpful (good for me to do, expedient and profitable when considered with other things). Everything is lawful for me, but I will not become the slave of anything or be brought under its power.
Just because all things are allowable and lawful, does not mean that they agree with your relationship in Christ. You don't want to be a slave to satisfying your fleshy desires. Measure everything by the fruit it bares, not by our own standards. Your heart knows what is sin and what is not, sin is a choice, you either chose to do it or not. Sin it is a choice, it is a mindset, that is why the word of God tells us to RENEW OUR MINDS by God's word! So, your personal conscience has no place in faith, the word says to have the mind of Christ, meaning removing self. If what YOU WANT does not line up with the word, it is against it and is enmity. Faith is about freedom and liberty in the word, not using it to commit what you know in your mind is a sin, because sex is for the marriage covenant ONLY. Masturbation is sex and it is defiling the temple of the Holy Ghost.

Upvote 0

Gentileone

Contributor
Jan 5, 2005
Salisbury S.A
✟14,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Im sure there is a scripture the does mention Masturbation and i believe its in the OT
Also i remember it is a sin to touch.
My advice stay away from it!!!
Lust is a big stumbling block even for the strongest of people in Christ as we read/see in some churches .Which iam not saying that they started to touch first.
But i will try to find that scripture and put this topic to rest

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

womanofgodwcci

Jan 4, 2005
Georgia
✟16,894.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gentileone said:
My advice stay away from it!!!
Lust is a big stumbling block even for the strongest of people in Christ as we read/see in some churches .Which iam not saying that they started to touch first.

Amen, since masturbation is based in selfishness, meaning getting YOUR physical needs met, it is not something that edifies your spirit or ministers to the Lord Who dwells on the inside of you. Masturbation involves fantasizing, lusting and imagining things that are ungodly in order to "turn YOU on", so you are not glorifying the Father. God doesn't desire for any of His children to be in bondage to anything. Colossians 3:5 says So kill (deaden, deprive of power) the evil desire lurking in your members [those animal impulses and all that is earthly in you that is employed in sin]: sexual vice, impurity, sensual appetites, unholy desires, and all greed and covetousness, for that is idolatry (the deifying of self and other created things instead of God). As children who are called by His name, our thought lives must remain pure and undefiled by lust and sin.

Reactions: EastBaySaint
Upvote 0

Schmitty

Dec 27, 2004
Ca
✟161.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
masterbaition is having sex with your hand. I personally believe sex should only be with one's spouse, and in marriage only. Plus, masterbaition has physical consequenses as well. It trains and developes your mind to be self-stimulated sexually.That damages its (sex) purpose. Sex isn't supposed to be about pleasing yourself, but pleasing your spouse. Also, with all lust; instead of your wife turning you on, you turn yourself on whenever you want.... an so you become a prisoner of your lust.

Tis wrong, stay away.

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
But here's the real bomb: masturbation is having sex with the same sex! It is, in effect, homosexuality!

I'm sure someone took that quite literally and will use it to defend their views. Be my guest. I won't argue this, but I find it interesting that if you ask Europeans if masturbation is a sin, you'll get way different results than in the U.S.
And believe it or not, people are being saved here too.

If masturbation is a real concern for you, you either have very few problems or your focus is waaaay out of place.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.