Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizm

Oct 31, 2004
Los Angeles
✟518.00
Faith
Christian
We should definitely stay away from masturbation. Is this really going to please or anger our lord. Any christian should see that the Lord will not be pleased by us giving in to the desires of the flesh. Masturbation is wrong for ALL CHRISITIANS, there is no what do you think, what matters is what the Lord thinks. Does anybody really believe that you could please the Lord in masturbation???

Upvote 0

PapaLandShark

Post Tenebras Lux
Dec 4, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟4,274.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm...I'm going to have to side with "Not a sin".

I have no need to visualize in order to touch. The Lord always gives us a way to avoid sin. I find those who sublimate or ignore the body are far more likely to harm or put themselves in harms way than those who do not. It is simply another function like eating. Also, like eating, it can lead to issues if overdone. I believe that the "lust" issue is made worse through our fear of sin, and our own bodies. We think ourselves into a box.

Who gave us these bodies?

When in doubt of course Pray. But remember that lustful thoughts come from you...your body did not put them there.

Reactions: rosenherman
Upvote 0

Lovesherald

Veteran
Dec 21, 2004
✟9,050.00
Faith
Messianic
Politics
US-Republican
**********We should definitely stay away from masturbation. Is this really going to please or anger our lord. Any christian should see that the Lord will not be pleased by us giving in to the desires of the flesh. Masturbation is wrong for ALL CHRISITIANS, there is no what do you think, what matters is what the Lord thinks. Does anybody really believe that you could please the Lord in masturbation???********

So masturbation would be wrong, even for married couples? If that's a desire of the flesh, wouldn't sex be as well? God designed sex. I don't see married people restraining from sex. Yet, having sex doesn't necessarily promote or please the Lord.

Upvote 0

Crispie

Conservative Christian
Jun 29, 2004
✟10,388.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Lovesherald said:
**********We should definitely stay away from masturbation. Is this really going to please or anger our lord. Any christian should see that the Lord will not be pleased by us giving in to the desires of the flesh. Masturbation is wrong for ALL CHRISITIANS, there is no what do you think, what matters is what the Lord thinks. Does anybody really believe that you could please the Lord in masturbation???********

So masturbation would be wrong, even for married couples? If that's a desire of the flesh, wouldn't sex be as well? God designed sex. I don't see married people restraining from sex. Yet, having sex doesn't necessarily promote or please the Lord.

Actually, at the end of Song of Solomon after the marriage and when they had sex, God was pleased and blessed their marriage. So yes, having sex the way God intended does please the Lord greatly.

Upvote 0

Psalms34

◄♫♪♫ תהלים ♫♪♫►
Nov 20, 2004
Southern Calif
✟22,982.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Constitution
Well I'm not very legalistic I guess. I mean when I think of sin in context I just don't say sin is sin and it's wrong so leave it at that. All sin is sin because of a reason. Sin leads to destruction, not necessarily by God but in this life sin can lead to bad things happening. To deem something as sin is to detour us from hurting ourselves, or hurting God.

In the case of un pure thoughts, right it's not right to look at someone that way, why? Well that we put the thought of that person in our heart in such a way that thought could grow and lead to a stronger desire. Look at the epidemic addiction with inappropriate contentography. People look at this stuff, and the desire for it grows, and to an end that brings them to act out their thoughts at some point. And what I've heard of some of this it's very sick. Sickness does not come over night, it takes time, and in time many in our society will be monsters I think. There are some already. Many scarry stories...

Anyway, no it's not sin. But you need to ask yourself if it is doing any damage to you as a Christian. It can.

Upvote 0

PastorSherm

Aug 15, 2004
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟8,530.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
sure it's a sin...but so is worrying, coarse language{perhaps making jokes about touching yourself on internet forums?}, having an angry thought about somebody...sin is sin. I think before we go pointing the finger at somebody who struggles with this..we need to take a look at our selves and examine where we might be struggling. Some people have struggles their entire lives. God will finish what he started in a person. Who knows what else this person has overcome through Christ. Christ will get him/her through this as well. We all stumble and fall...ALL OF US...but whats important is do we just lie there..or do we ask God to help us back up and continue on our walk?

Upvote 0

EastBaySaint

Dec 24, 2004
boonies
✟456.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
[font=Arial,Helvetica]Masturbation is a sin because a person consents in their own heart to take sexual gratification from impure thoughts. It is sinful to indulge in the sexual pleasure that is derived from the satisfaction of using one's imagination to FIXATE upon obscene images, or obscene actions, or forbidden sex. Lustfully fixating upon genitals, or sexual acts, is idolatry. This is called: the worship of obscenities. This is the sin of those addicted to inappropriate contentography. That's often a "guy" thing. Alternatively, taking delight in the lust of another, or consummating a fantasy of forbidden sexual romance, is the sin of adultery in the heart. That's often a "girl" thing. The act of masturbation is an outward act that confirms that one's heart and mind has consented to an inward act of impurity. Only by consenting to an imagined act of impurity can one attain [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]. To attain sexual release, a person's will consents to LOVE something that is sexually impure.[/font]

Upvote 0

Tetzel

Veteran
Nov 19, 2004
✟10,575.00
Faith
Lutheran
I can't believe the amount of rationalization going on here. Of course masturbation is a sin! It is an act of pure lust, a pleasure of the flesh. Why would anyone have a problem seeing and admitting that? Do we not believe in the forgiveness of sins here? Is the faith of people here so weak that they believe that the blood of Christ is too weak to wash away sins and must therefore invent ways of explaining their actions in order to make themselves redeemable. If we say we are without sin we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us, but if we confess God will forgive us. Acknowledge that these are sins, people, ignoring a sin is never a solution. Only if you acknowledge a sin can you fight it, and although there are times when you will fail, you know that Christ is your ally and will help you. We all sin, if we didn't we'd have no need for Christ and his sacrifice! The blood of Christ is strong and was shed to cleanse you of all sin. Christ did not die so that people who commit minor sins could reach the kingdom of heaven. Christ died to free us all from sin. To be so afraid of sin that you cannot admit you have sinned is to ignore Christ's triumph over sin and death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bogie

Dec 19, 2004
Aurora, Colorado
Visit site
✟23,171.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I didn't really read all the replys up till this point but....Well for guys anyway medically talking our bodies need to purge the excess fluid. You know what I am talking about so I'm just going to leave a vail over it. Now my question is, what about "wet dreams?" I can't really control what my mind thinks when I am asleep so would this still be considered sinful. Say I didn't touch for like a year, eventually if I am healthy, sometime within that year window I am bound to have a wet dream.

Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian
Dreams have their cause in prior experience or fantasies. Change the cause or fantasy and you change the dream. Ergo, get inimate with God as father like Jesus did. Capture His vision and let His consuming fire that will consume all in you that is not of Him. He keeps all that come unto Him. This must be experientially worked out and much discipline is involved though from a "self-improvement" perspective but a perspective of wanting to be pleasing to the Father; "who makes us accepted in the beloved" as we become that which He desires of us; to be the expression of Himself to those without. How do you do that with a condemning conscience?

How much do you love Him?

Upvote 0

larryjf

Dec 28, 2004
Boothwyn, PA
Visit site
✟7,834.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
From the following i believe masturbation makes one "unclean". Probably the same kind of uncleanness as a woman who has her monthly cycle...

Deut 23:10-11 - If any man among you becomes unclean because of a nocturnal emission, then he shall go outside the camp. He shall not come inside the camp, 11 but when evening comes, he shall bathe himself in water, and as the sun sets, he may come inside the camp.

Lev 15:16 - If a man has an emission of sperm, he shall bathe his whole body in water and be unclean until the evening.

From the following we see that if we lust after someone (wether masturbating or not), it is sin...

Mat 5:28 - But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Upvote 0

Scribbler

Ignoring all links to Huffington Post
Dec 9, 2004
right behind you.
Visit site
✟25,722.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, masturbation is CLEARLY a sin, as it involves Lust. I would reccomend this site,http://settingcaptivesfree.com/home/ for anyone struggling with masturbation or inappropriate contentography (or smoking & drinking for that matter!!!!):thumbsup:

PS, Great Avatar, Faith Warrior!

Upvote 0

PapaLandShark

Post Tenebras Lux
Dec 4, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟4,274.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Lust is not needed for release. The body doesn't care. It is only we humans that freak out over what can, and should be, just a simple natural function. How you folks cannot understand this is beyond me.

Forgive my frank language, but wandering about at half-mast is distracting. I do not need to be thinking of anything for this to happen. Have you all forgotten the embarrassment of your teen-age years? Perhaps I'm oversharing here but 99% of the time there was NO reason. Simply the body testing out it's systems. It goes on throughout life. I will not be ashamed of the body the Lord gave me...but I will also not allow it to dominate me.

If you are doing it simply because it's fun you have an issue. If you are doing it to satisfy some fantasy you are definately in treading thin ice. Am I sinning then when I desire my wife?

To many grey area's.

Reactions: BigToe
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian
PapaLandShark said:
Lust is not needed for release. The body doesn't care. It is only we humans that freak out over what can, and should be, just a simple natural function. How you folks cannot understand this is beyond me.

Forgive my frank language, but wandering about at half-mast is distracting. I do not need to be thinking of anything for this to happen. Have you all forgotten the embarrassment of your teen-age years? Perhaps I'm oversharing here but 99% of the time there was NO reason. Simply the body testing out it's systems. It goes on throughout life. I will not be ashamed of the body the Lord gave me...but I will also not allow it to dominate me.

If you are doing it simply because it's fun you have an issue. If you are doing it to satisfy some fantasy you are definately in treading thin ice. Am I sinning then when I desire my wife?

To many grey area's.
THe bed is undefiled with the wife so your thoughts leading to that aren't a sin. Also nighttime emissions are a norm of biological life.

We wrestle not against flesh and blood. That is the thing to remember regarding the rest of our "Nightlife". Praying without ceasing isn't about praying without ceasing but keeping our minds and hearts steadfast on the Lord, as Father, to become what He desires, son's. Practicing His presence contradicts the need to satisfy our lustful cravings. God would ask: "Who you do love more, Me or your "self" that agrees more with the enemy of your soul?"
What is overcoming all about if not overcoming our "self" nature with it's cravings you'll never experience in heaven..

Upvote 0

PapaLandShark

Post Tenebras Lux
Dec 4, 2004
Seattle
Visit site
✟4,274.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thank you Ormly however...

How does my getting an erection differ any from being hungry or having to breath? I will get them whether I want them or not.
Would you have me also starve to death or pass out from holding my breath?

What makes this particular organ any more special than my lungs or my stomach? It's not. We make it so. We blame our weaknesses on it.

If you are going to blame an organ blame the heart or mind.

Please understand that I'm by no means downplaying those who struggle. I'm trying to point out touching yourself in and of itself is not a sin. Lust is the sin.

Upvote 0

Ormly

Senior Veteran
Dec 11, 2004
✟7,151.00
Faith
Christian
PapaLandShark said:

How does my getting an erection differ any from being hungry or having to breath? I will get them whether I want them or not.

What makes this particular organ any more special than my lungs or my stomach? It's not. We make it so. We blame our weaknesses on it.

Please understand that I'm by no means downplaying those who struggle. I'm trying to point out touching yourself in and of itself is not a sin. Lust is the sin.
Who do you love more? That's the issue.

Upvote 0

Telrunya

Student of the Word
Jun 24, 2004
Bainbridge Island Washington St.
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
PapaLandShark said:

The differance is you aren't going to die if you don't [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] as you would if you stopped breathing or stopped eating. It is not a neccesity of life. We are called to be holy. We are called to honor the temple of the Holy Spirit. We are called to be clean and pure. Masturbation in no way helps us with any of these callings. It's sole focus is to pleasure one's-self.

Upvote 0

nifty girl

Dec 30, 2004
✟143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi, all! I just found this website today and happened to stumble upon this discussion. I have a question, what if masturbation is necessary for a fertility treatment such as AI (artificial insemination)? Would my husband be sinning because he committed that act to help us conceive a child? I'm very interested because my husband has done that in the past and will probably have to do it in the future. Thanks in advance for your input!

Reactions: Lordbay
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.