Is Mary the Mother of the Church or of all Christians?

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Actually what you are saying is that Mary is the Mother of the Body of Christ. Interesting but not scriptural. This leads to the divinity of Mary.
Blessings
Mary gave birth to something and surely it was - among other things - the body of Jesus Christ. So it is scriptural. But you carry on with your theology.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not making stuff up, that's what early Christians believed in.

No, it's not... it was in 431 that she was declared mother of God and not until 1962 that she was declared mother of tthe church..

Do you consider 1962 the "early Christians age"? And 400 years after the death of Christ is hardly the belief of the first Christians..

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Wow...

You just made a human being more powerful than God in that one paragraph. ..

Congratulations ...

Can we get back to a sovereign God now who can chose who HE pleases for His Will?
God didn't forced Mary to have Jesus, Mary did it out of free will.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Christianity would not exist without the Messiah. It could have existed just fine without Mary. God could have used a different woman, a heathen, even. He could have used no one, or birthed Christ from a rock, if necessary.
Wow, what a way to disrespect the Mother of God.

Upvote 0

GingerBeer

Cool and refreshing with a kick!
Mar 26, 2017
Australia
✟119,825.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I hope that was intended as a joke. It follows the same logic as this:
  1. Mary is the mother of Christ.
  2. The church is the bride of Christ.
  3. The church is the body of Christ.
  4. Therefore Christ married himself.
  5. Therefore Mary is our mother-in-law (yuck).
  6. God is love.
  7. Love is blind.
  8. Therefore God is blind.
  9. We might conclude that Christ's accidental marriage to himself had something to do with his blindness.
Mary was the literal mother of Christ. Christ is the figurative head of the church (which is his figurative body, naturally). This statement doesn't make her the figurative or literal mother of anyone but Christ (lest we be guilty of abusing an analogy). Otherwise, we should be venerating Heli, the Grandfather of all Christianity, which no one has suggested.

Friends don't let friends abuse logic.
It isn't the same reasoning, but you've hit pay dirt I think. The truth is that the church is both the body of Christ and the bride of Christ so no matter what logic is used the idea in scripture is that Christ's marries his own body. Does that shock you?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,240.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I don’t think you’ve proved your case.

I never let my theology corrupt scripture. My theology is built upon scripture.

Also show me there were 190 of them or whatever your exact number was.

Acts 1;15;
15 In those days Peter stood up among the believers (a group numbering about a hundred and twenty)

I don't really mean to be unkind to you in my challenges; it just surprises me that the two verse I found for you were so difficult for you to find for yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No, it's not... it was in 431 that she was declared mother of God and not until 1962 that she was declared mother of tthe church..

Do you consider 1962 the "early Christians age"? And 400 years after the death of Christ is hardly the belief of the first Christians..
That's around the time the Bible was put together, yet you believe in Sola Scriptura.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regardless if you believe the Catholic or the Orthodox Church is the truth Church, is the Virgin Mary the Mother of all who profess the Nicene Creed, even if they don't venerate her?
I'd say so. If one worships God and obeys the Gospel of Christ, Scripture says she is their Mother, even if they don't turn to her, ask for her help, praise her, or see her the way we do. "Mary, Help of Christians" is one of my favorite titles for her. Certainly, she deserves our thoughts, consideration, awe, gratitude, love, and respect.

• Friendly
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If Jesus is a king and father to Christians then Mary is obviously the queen, as mothers were usually queens if their sons were kings in the Bible, like Queen Bathsheba and King Solomon. The Church is the body of believers and the bride of Christ, Mary the queen mother of heaven however is the mother of Christians by virtue of her son being father of Christians.

Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Hippolytus

"[T]o all generations they [the prophets] have pictured forth the grandest subjects for contemplation and for action. Thus, too, they preached of the advent of God in the flesh to the world, his advent by the spotless and God-bearing (theotokos) Mary in the way of birth and growth, and the manner of his life and conversation with men, and his manifestation by baptism, and the new birth that was to be to all men, and the regeneration by the laver [of baptism]" (Discourse on the End of the World 1 [A.D. 217]).

Gregory the Wonderworker

"For Luke, in the inspired Gospel narratives, delivers a testimony not to Joseph only, but also to Mary, the Mother of God, and gives this account with reference to the very family and house of David" (Four Homilies 1 [A.D. 262]).

"It is our duty to present to God, like sacrifices, all the festivals and hymnal celebrations; and first of all, [the feast of] the Annunciation to the holy Mother of God, to wit, the salutation made to her by the angel, ‘Hail, full of grace!’" (ibid., 2).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
If Jesus is a king and father to Christians then Mary is obviously the queen, as mothers were usually queens if their sons were kings in the Bible, like Queen Bathsheba and King Solomon. The Church is the body of believers and the bride of Christ, Mary the queen mother of heaven however is the mother of Christians by virtue of her son being father of Christians.
As a former Muslim, how do you feel about how you thought about Mary before and after your conversion?

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0