Is Mary the Mother of the Church or of all Christians?

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Just a matter of information: Mary was a Pentecostal!!!
She was in the upper room with the other 119 disciples when the Holy Spirit fell on them, and she praised God in tongues and prophesied with the rest of them!!
Verses.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Saint Louis de Montfort said those who have not Mary as mother, have not God as their father.

Doesn't this EXPLAIN a lot ???

It seems to say we worship different Gods - those who follow scriptural teachings versus those who follow traditions built up around Mary, at Ieast, according to that person.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
She is the mother of the Messiah, without whom Christianity would not exist. Neither true and complete Christianity, founded by her Son Jesus Christ, nor manmade denominational semi-Christianity.

Wow...

You just made a human being more powerful than God in that one paragraph. ..

Congratulations ...

Can we get back to a sovereign God now who can chose who HE pleases for His Will?

• Winner
Reactions: ToBeLoved
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
She is the mother of the Messiah, without whom Christianity would not exist. Neither true and complete Christianity, founded by her Son Jesus Christ, nor manmade denominational semi-Christianity.
That is very flawed because that argument could go back to Adam and Eve.

Mary wouldn’t exist without her mother. And Mary’s mother wouldn’t exist without her mother. And so forth. On and on and on, back to Eve.

Plus, God didn’t need Mary per se.

It could have been someone else.

Mary was BLESSED to give birth to Jesus.

Jesus was not Jesus because of Mary.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
  1. Mary is the mother of the Saviour, Jesus Christ,
  2. Jesus Christ is the head of the Church,
  3. The Church is the body of Christ,
  4. All who are in the body of Christ are in Christ,
  5. Therefore Mary is the mother of all who are in Christ.

I hope that was intended as a joke. It follows the same logic as this:
  1. Mary is the mother of Christ.
  2. The church is the bride of Christ.
  3. The church is the body of Christ.
  4. Therefore Christ married himself.
  5. Therefore Mary is our mother-in-law (yuck).
  6. God is love.
  7. Love is blind.
  8. Therefore God is blind.
  9. We might conclude that Christ's accidental marriage to himself had something to do with his blindness.
Mary was the literal mother of Christ. Christ is the figurative head of the church (which is his figurative body, naturally). This statement doesn't make her the figurative or literal mother of anyone but Christ (lest we be guilty of abusing an analogy). Otherwise, we should be venerating Heli, the Grandfather of all Christianity, which no one has suggested.

Friends don't let friends abuse logic.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
She is the mother of the Messiah, without whom Christianity would not exist.

Christianity would not exist without the Messiah. It could have existed just fine without Mary. God could have used a different woman, a heathen, even. He could have used no one, or birthed Christ from a rock, if necessary.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Acts 1:
12 Then the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day’s walk[c] from the city. 13 When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. 14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

They were told to wait in Jerusalem until the Holy Spirit came. That is what they did. There is no change in the people who were in that room, from the start to the Day of Pentecost. They were constant in prayer all that time, so Mary was part of the group who received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost and who spoke in tongues as the Spirit gave them all utterance.

I believe they prophesied as well, because Peter, in explaining the event to the crowd outside, quoted Joel, where Joel said that "your sons and daughters will prophesy". He said that the prophecy was being fulfilled, who among the 120, there were men and women speaking in tongues and prophesying - including Mary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Acts 1:
12 Then the apostles returned to Jerusalem from the hill called the Mount of Olives, a Sabbath day’s walk[c] from the city. 13 When they arrived, they went upstairs to the room where they were staying. Those present were Peter, John, James and Andrew; Philip and Thomas, Bartholomew and Matthew; James son of Alphaeus and Simon the Zealot, and Judas son of James. 14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

They were told to wait in Jerusalem until the Holy Spirit came. That is what they did. There is no change in the people who were in that room, from the start to the Day of Pentecost. They were constant in prayer all that time, so Mary was part of the group who received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost and who spoke in tongues as the Spirit gave them all utterance.

I believe they prophesied as well, because Peter, in explaining the event to the crowd outside, quoted Joel, where Joel said that "your sons and daughters will prophesy". He said that the prophecy was being fulfilled, who among the 120, there were men and women speaking in tongues and prophesying - including Mary.
I doesn’t prove Mary spoke in tongues at Pentecost.

Just because she was there.

Your reading into it what you want to believe, not what it said.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I doesn’t prove Mary spoke in tongues at Pentecost.

Just because she was there.

Your reading into it what you want to believe, not what it said.
Oh come on!
4 "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit as the Spirit enabled them."

When Luke said "all" do you think he meant just "some"? I don't think so! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :)

Don't let your theology corrupt your comprehension of plain Scripture!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Oh come on!
4 "All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit as the Spirit enabled them."

When Luke said "all" do you think he meant just "some"? I don't think so! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :)

Don't let your theology corrupt your comprehension of plain Scripture!
I don’t think you’ve proved your case.

I never let my theology corrupt scripture. My theology is built upon scripture.

Also show me there were 190 of them or whatever your exact number was.

Upvote 0

Bladerunner

Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2018
Middle TN
✟72,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Regardless if you believe the Catholic or the Orthodox Church is the truth Church, is the Virgin Mary the Mother of all who profess the Nicene Creed, even if they don't venerate her?

No and I do not profess the Nicene Creed

Blade

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Again your making stuff up.

Where in scripture does it say Jesus is the new Adam?

Jesus is the Messiah. Manna from Heaven. The Word of God. God in the Flesh.

I gave you Galatians 4:25-30 for Sarah being our mother. All your doing is disagreeing with scripture. (Which for the record I believe to be God breathed)
I'm not making stuff up, that's what early Christians believed in.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He didn't say last Adam, he said Jesus is the "new Adam" adding that that made Mary the new Eve (as if she is wife to Christ")

The poster in question is just making stuff up. We are made alive in Christ because He is Lord and Savior.. He is the ultimate man, because He is God made flesh...

Mary is not our mother - she is mother to our Lord and Savior. Sarah is mother to the church.

We don't make stuff up as we go, or take things out of context to engage in goddess worship. Those who do, have nothing in common with those who don't. .

Jesus gave Mary no special place of veneration.. so neither do we..
Jesus loved his mother, are you saying that the Word of God wouldn't give respect to her mom when even sinners do that?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't at all "dislike" Mary, I love her very much. But I won't give her place that God did not give in my worship, and I will not disagree with God's Holy Word in scripture in order to engage in Goddess worship.

Read Galatians.. it will help you understand what God said.

Our religion didn't begin at Christ the Messiah (the birth of). it didn't start there, as much you wish it did.
Nobody believes Mary is a goddess.

Upvote 0