Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It requires willful ignorance to claim that "Mother of God" means mother of God the Father and God the Holy Spirit.
Actually, the opposite is true.

It requires a willful ignorance that God is one with three persons to say that Mary is the mother of God and then to say you just mean Jesus. If you mean just Jesus, then say she is the biological mother of Jesus. Simple.

• Agree
Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,724.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Did Christ become God because of her or did Christ become human because of her?
God became man because He was born of a human woman. Calling Mary the Theotokos (literally "birth giver of God") is declaring that her Son (a man, because she is human) is also God.

Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
God became man because He was born of a human woman. Calling Mary the Theotokos (literally "birth giver of God") is declaring that her Son (a man, because she is human) is also God.
Any Christian knows that God is just one with three persons. If you say that somebody gave birth to God, you are blaspheming unless you explain that you mean just the fact that Mary gave a biological birth to the flesh of Jesus.

But that explanation makes whole the fancy title useless and even harmful, because unlearned people start worshipping her, adoring her, praying to her and think that she has some authority over God or some special access to Him.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,724.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually, the opposite is true.
It isn't.
It requires a willful ignorance that God is one with three persons to say that Mary is the mother of God and then to say you just mean Jesus. If you mean just Jesus, then say she is the biological mother of Jesus. Simple.
It is a fundamental truth of the Christian faith that Jesus is God.
Mary only gave birth to one person, Jesus. There is no confusion or suggestion that she gave birth to the Father or to the Holy Spirit. It is all about Jesus. To suggest otherwise is stupidity.
Calling Mary the mother of Jesus, allows heretical interpretations which deny either Jesus humanity or His divinity. Calling Mary the mother of God stops all of those heresies dead in their tracks.

• Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
It is a fundamental truth of the Christian faith that Jesus is God.
And God is eternal, so Jesus existed before Mary.

Mary only gave birth to one person, Jesus.
No, the person Jesus existed before Mary. She gave birth only to his flesh, no to Him as a person.

Calling Mary the mother of Jesus, allows heretical interpretations which deny either Jesus humanity or His divinity. Calling Mary the mother of God stops all of those heresies dead in their tracks.
Only to bring other heresies and idolatry, which is what God hates the most. Its better to explain to people that Jesus is God than to create a title that itself needs another explanations or else people will pray to her or worship her or get all kinds of wrong ideas about her. There are whole cults or churches dedicated to her instead of to God.

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
John, in the first chapter of his gospel, states that Jesus was the Word made flesh, through Him all things were made, and He lived and dwelt amongst us. Not just a part of God, not just a nature, but a person who was, is and has always been 100% divine. The second person of the Trinity came and lived among us. Therefore it is correct to say that Mary was the God Bearer or the Mother of God. She is the living shrine of the Word of God.
Inside the Ark of the Old Covenant, there was the word of God inscribed in stone. In the Ark of the New Covenant, there was the word of God in human flesh. In the Old, there was the urn filled with manna from the wilderness. In the New, Mary's womb carries Jesus, the bread of life come down from heaven. In the Old, we had the rod of Aaron. In the New, we have our great high priest.
Mary is not God, she is not worshipped and she is not our Saviour. However she is given a place of honour due to the role she has played in our salvation.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,724.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Any Christian knows that God is just one with three persons. If you say that somebody gave birth to God, you are blaspheming unless you explain that you mean just the fact that Mary gave a biological birth to the flesh of Jesus.
No Christian believes Mary gave birth to any member of the Trinity other than the Son, so why would we need to explain anything.
But that explanation makes whole the fancy title useless and even harmful, because unlearned people start worshipping her, adoring her, praying to her and think that she has some authority over God or some special access to Him.
No one worships her. No one believes she has authority over her Son. Everyone should understand that Jesus loves His mother and that He honors her (Exodus 20:12).
The history of the Church is filled with examples of Mary interceding on behalf of Christians right up until the present day. Protestants don't experience this because they don't ask for the prayers of the Saints.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: RushMAN
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,724.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And God is eternal, so Jesus existed before Mary.
Calling her "mother of God" does not suggest otherwise. Perhaps you need to rethink what makes a woman a mother.
No, the person Jesus existed before Mary. She gave birth only to his flesh, no to Him as a person.
Utter nonsense and complete and utter heresy.
Only to bring other heresies and idolatry, which is what God hates the most. Its better to explain to people that Jesus is God than to create a title that itself needs another explanations or else people will pray to her or worship her or get all kinds of wrong ideas about her. There are whole cults or churches dedicated to her instead of to God.
Only willfully ignorant people need explanations.

Mary gave birth to one person of the Holy Trinity. She didn't give birth to the Father and she didn't give birth to the Holy Spirit, she only gave birth to the Son.

Everybody knows this.

So when we say Mary is mother of God, it is clearly and unambiguously talking about the one person she gave birth to.

Are you in anyway confused about who we are talking about?

Is there anything short of serious cognitive disability that would lead someone to think we are talking about anyone other than Jesus?

Upvote 0

Goodhuman

Jan 7, 2020
dfgdfsgdf
✟58,992.00
Country
Cambodia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have no idea what you are on about.

Mary was born and lived her life like any other girl. God found favour with her and she was blessed to carry Jesus and give birth and raise him. That is where her role ended. She was a normal woman who had children, lived her life and died like everybody else.

If you can find me a single scripture that indicates something more, please share it.

All believers are saints. Saint simply means a follower of Christ. You will find 67 incidences of the word saint in the bible. Canonising of people as 'saints' and as someone special is not scriptural.

Where in scripture do you find that Enoch and Elijah will back in the end times to be tormented and killed by the antichrist?

Show me the scripture for your points.

You don't stick with the truth which is the orthodox chuirch so I will not talk with you. About Virgin Mary check Luke 1:48.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Calling her "mother of God" does not suggest otherwise. Perhaps you need to rethink what makes a woman a mother.

Utter nonsense and complete and utter heresy.

Only willfully ignorant people need explanations.

Mary gave birth to one person of the Holy Trinity. She didn't give birth to the Father and she didn't give birth to the Holy Spirit, she only gave birth to the Son.

Everybody knows this.

So when we say Mary is mother of God, it is clearly and unambiguously talking about the one person she gave birth to.

Are you in anyway confused about who we are talking about?

Is there anything short of serious cognitive disability that would lead someone to think we are talking about anyone other than Jesus?

There are so many errors in your post that I do not even know where to start.

For example, you really do not know that the Son of God existed before Mary?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You don't stick with the truth which is the orthodox chuirch so I will not talk with you. About Virgin Mary check Luke 1:48.

I already quoted Mary's poem in full on an earlier post.
But what about verse 48?
For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.

We all agree that Mary was blessed.
What we don't agree on is that she was sinless and a perpetual virgin, Jesus had brothers!
Still waiting on a verse that says either of those things, but I can tell you have none.

I know very little about the Orthodox church except that they share many similarities to the Catholic church, of which this is one. I'm a protestant.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
John, in the first chapter of his gospel, states that Jesus was the Word made flesh, through Him all things were made, and He lived and dwelt amongst us. Not just a part of God, not just a nature, but a person who was, is and has always been 100% divine. The second person of the Trinity came and lived among us. Therefore it is correct to say that Mary was the God Bearer or the Mother of God. She is the living shrine of the Word of God.
Inside the Ark of the Old Covenant, there was the word of God inscribed in stone. In the Ark of the New Covenant, there was the word of God in human flesh. In the Old, there was the urn filled with manna from the wilderness. In the New, Mary's womb carries Jesus, the bread of life come down from heaven. In the Old, we had the rod of Aaron. In the New, we have our great high priest.
Mary is not God, she is not worshipped and she is not our Saviour. However she is given a place of honour due to the role she has played in our salvation.

So now along with
sinless
perpetual virginity
holiness
Queen of heaven receiving half of His kingdom"

You are adding that she is a 'living shrine'
So you believe that she is alive as well?

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟748,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
So now along with
sinless
perpetual virginity
holiness
Queen of heaven receiving half of His kingdom"

You are adding that she is a 'living shrine'
So you believe that she is alive as well?
Of course Mary and the Saints are alive. They are amongst the living in heaven.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,167,724.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are so many errors in your post that I do not even know where to start.

For example, you really do not know that the Son of God existed before Mary?
You lack reading comprehension. The first part of my response agrees that Jesus is eternal, so the next part of my response obviously isn't referring to "the person Jesus existed before Mary" but to the latter part of your statement, "She gave birth only to his flesh, no to Him as a person."

Do carry on though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
2 Chronicles 6:41
Now therefore arise, O Lord God, into thy resting place, thou, and the ark of thy strength: let thy priests, O Lord God, be clothed with salvation, and let thy saints rejoice in goodness.

Jesus ascended to His resting place and Mary was assumed into heaven body and soul!

Psalm 9:14
That I may shew forth all thy praise in the gates of the daughter of Zion: I will rejoice in thy salvation.

Psalm 35:9
And my soul shall be joyful in the Lord: it shall rejoice in his salvation.

Psalm 132:

13 For the Lord hath chosen Zion; he hath desired it for his habitation.

14 This is my rest for ever: here will I dwell; for I have desired it.

15 I will abundantly bless her provision: I will satisfy her poor with bread.

16 I will also clothe her priests with salvation: and her saints shall shout aloud for joy.

17 There will I make the horn of David to bud: I have ordained a lamp for mine anointed.

Zion a type of Mary the habitation of the Lord!

Ex 3:5 Holy ground, the holy mountain a type of Mary!

Song of Solomon 4:4
Thy neck is like the tower of David builded for an armoury, whereon there hang athousand bucklers, all shields of mighty men.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
John 19:26-27

When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Jesus is not just asking John to care for His mother, if so He would have said so.

Jesus is in the very least making Mary John’s spiritual mother! And if the apostle John needs a spiritual mother so do we!

What is the family of God without a mother? The mother is the heart of the family! Jesus said I will not leave you orphans! Jn 14:18 He proved Mary the mother of one disciple then He does so for all disciples!

As eve was the mother of all the living in the first creation, gen 3:20 so Mary is the mother of all those who live in Christ and the new creation!

Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
John 19:26-27

When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Jesus is not just asking John to care for His mother, if so He would have said so.

Jesus is in the very least making Mary John’s spiritual mother! And if the apostle John needs a spiritual mother so do we!

What is the family of God without a mother? The mother is the heart of the family! Jesus said I will not leave you orphans! Jn 14:18 He proved Mary the mother of one disciple then He does so for all disciples!

As eve was the mother of all the living in the first creation, gen 3:20 so Mary is the mother of all those who live in Christ and the new creation!

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
No one objecting here is saying that Jesus is not God, nor are we dividing him.

For the record I'm not either. I still look to Jesus as God, but I don't look to Him as my creator because that was the task of the Father.

Babies who die in infancy need a savior just as much as a career criminal does. Both are slaves to to death, the result of Adam's sin.

I'm sorry I realize that the Catholics are going to get mad at me for this one but I do not believe this. A baby cannot possibly need a Savior because a baby has done no wrong and knows no sin so I do not believe in infant baptism as it also contradicts God's given right of free will and following the Lord should be a choice and not be forced. An infant cannot possibly make this choice and doesn't even have a concept of what it means to be a Christian.

No one worships her. No one believes she has authority over her Son. Everyone should understand that Jesus loves His mother and that He honors her (Exodus 20:12).

Well I don't worship her but she is the mother of Jesus and even He knew that as a man she had authority over Him which is why He always obeyed her.

Upvote 0

b4jesustoday

Aug 15, 2020
Dallas
✟5,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Widowed
“Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven” (Matt. 19:14).

acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

The parents have to promise to raise and educate their children in the faith the there is a confirmation of the child in the faith when they reach the age of reason

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0