Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Where is the Bible verse that tells me to pray in my car for a moment before I hit the road with my family? Your logic is silly.

Mary is not a graven image. She is a human being.

My argument is that the Bible does not prohibit kneeling in front of a statute of Mary to pray. You have yet to provide one single Scripture verse that states this. You are adding your man made interpretations to the clear word of God.

Exodus 20:4-5 & Deuteronomy 5:8-9

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
YOU have said tradition is more important than Scriptures. Where then is it recorded or who said that it was to be a tradition of men venerating a statue of Mary in the church.

Where is it then found that Jesus and the apostles venerated Mary?
Where is it found that Jesus and the apostles prayed in their cars for a moment before hitting the road with their families? Your logic is silly.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Exodus 20:4-5 & Deuteronomy 5:8-9
None of these Bible verses states "Thou shalt not kneel in front of a statute of Mary to pray." You have not provided even ONE single verse of Scripture that states that. You are adding your man made interpretations to the clear word of God.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Graven image referring to the many gods that the Jews used to worship in those days.

God knows who we worship. Christians can't and don't make any graven images etc. It's impossible as we only worship the one true God!

I just provided clear verses from Scripture....and your only response is "we don't make graven images"? What are those statues and images you kneel and pray before then?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I just provided clear verses from Scripture....and your only response is "we don't make graven images"? What are those statues and images you kneel and pray before then?

They are not graven though. Only graven to YOU. God knows why those images are there.

Do you know the hearts of the people praying?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
None of these Bible verses states "Thou shalt not kneel in front of a statute of Mary to pray." You have not provided even ONE single verse of Scripture that states that. You are adding your man made interpretations to the clear word of God.

Wow! Those verses could not be more obvious. You are denying the very commands of God. What else is it when a image/statue of Mary is carved out of wood or made out of some other material and then people kneel down and pray before it, to her?

I think you need to be honest with yourself here. Mary was a human being. She has passed on from this life. What are people doing praying to/before images of her, and how is that not a violation of the commandments?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
They are not graven though. Only graven to YOU. God knows why those images are there.

Do you know the hearts of the people praying?

Those images are there to encourage devotion and prayers to Mary. Should we pray to anyone but God? Should we pray to a fellow human being who has passed on from this life?

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
None of the other things Jesus taught would have ever contradicted what He did teach. Yet, I've seen this verse used countless times to justify all kinds of beliefs that run contrary to the Bible.

John 21:25 says.............
Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

When one uses that approach it simply shows that they have relied upon religious web sites of their choosing that promote what they want to believe instead of doing the work and study to find the truth.

Matthew Henry correctly tells us that.............
"But none must imagine that all Christ’s sermons, or miracles, are recorded in this book, or in any of the other Gospels; the world would have been too much filled with books, if all spoke or done by our Saviour had been written. There is so much written as it pleased God we should know, or was necessary for us to know for the true ends of such revelation; to beget and increase faith in us, and to promote and direct holiness."

• Agree
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So God is in fact a God of the dead not the living then?
According to your logic this is the natural conclusion to be drawn from your statement about Mary.

You claim scriptural authority, but you preach a different gospel whenever it suits you...

What "different Gospel" has he preached?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Those images are there to encourage devotion and prayers to Mary. Should we pray to anyone but God? Should we pray to a fellow human being who has passed on from this life?

Mary is the Mother of God. Chosen before time began. Holy Tabernacle. Given to us by Jesus at the foot of the cross.

Upvote 0

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Wow! Those verses could not be more obvious. You are denying the very commands of God. What else is it when a image/statue of Mary is carved out of wood or made out of some other material and then people kneel down and pray before it, to her?

I think you need to be honest with yourself here. Mary was a human being. She has passed on from this life. What are people doing praying to/before images of her, and how is that not a violation of the commandments?
None of the Bible verses you cited states "Thou shalt not kneel in front of a statute of Mary to pray." You have not provided even ONE single verse of Scripture that states that. You are adding your man madeinterpretations to the clear word of God.

I came here to discuss Scripture, not to hear your man made interpretation of Scripture. You still have not provided even ONE single verse that states that we may not kneel to pray in front of a statute of Mary.

But if you have any such verses please provide them.

God bless.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
John 21:25 says.............
Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

When one uses that approach it simply shows that they have relied upon religious web sites of their choosing that promote what they want to believe instead of doing the work and study to find the truth.

Matthew Henry correctly tells us that.............
"But none must imagine that all Christ’s sermons, or miracles, are recorded in this book, or in any of the other Gospels; the world would have been too much filled with books, if all spoke or done by our Saviour had been written. There is so much written as it pleased God we should know, or was necessary for us to know for the true ends of such revelation; to beget and increase faith in us, and to promote and direct holiness."

That's why the Apostles passed down important teachings through Apostolic succession / Tradition through the true church of Christ, the Catholic Church!

Reactions: Mountainmike
Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Mary is the Mother of God. Chosen before time began. Holy Tabernacle. Given to us by Jesus at the foot of the cross.

Actually, Jesus "gave her" to the "disciple whom he loved" (thought to be John) John 19:26-27. Also, where in Scripture is Mary referred to as the "Holy Tabernacle"?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PeaceB

Apr 20, 2017
Arlington
✟37,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
John 21:31
None of those verses state that they prayed for a moment in their cars before hitting the road with their families. Please stop adding your man made interpretations to the clear word of God.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
None of the Bible verses you cited states "Thou shalt not kneel in front of a statute of Mary to pray." You have not provided even ONE single verse of Scripture that states that. You are adding your man madeinterpretations to the clear word of God.

I came here to discuss Scripture, not to hear your man made interpretation of Scripture. You still have not provided even ONE single verse that states that we may not kneel to pray in front of a statute of Mary.

God bless.

Very true as images of Jesus or Mary are not Graven. Where does it state that we cannot kneel and pray in front of a crucifix of Our Lord or a statue of Mary, Mother of God, in the Bible?

It says about 'graven images, yes, as the Jews made plenty of those, but where does it say we cannot kneel in front of a crucifix or a statue of Mary?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

God bless.

I provided Scripture. You don't want to read it/accept it. That's fine. Your issue is not with me, but with the Bible which forbids praying before idols/statues/icons/images etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So God is in fact a God of the dead not the living then?
According to your logic this is the natural conclusion to be drawn from your statement about Mary.

You claim scriptural authority, but you preach a different gospel whenever it suits you...

Is there a class somewhere on this site or the internet where it is taught to 'PLACE WORD IN THE MOUTHS ON POSTERS"????

Now then, I did not say that God was the God of the dead and not the living.....DID I????

I said that Mary has been dead for 2000 years. Is that not true? Is she actually living and standing in every Catholic church all over the world?

You purposely twisted and added to what I actually said didn't you my friend.

Secondly.......post the number of my claim where I claimed Scriptural authority or foe that matter ANY authority over anyone. YOU made the claim, now you own it. Put up or back up but stop saying things that are not true.

Third........what OTHER gospel are you talking about? There is only ONE gospel and it is what I preach.

Again, I am challenging YOU to produce what you just said I do.

• Winner
Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Actually, Jesus "gave her" to the "disciple whom he loved" (thought to be John) John 19:26-27. Also, where in Scripture is Mary referred to as the "Holy Tabernacle"?

John / All mankind.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.