✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do you honor your mother?
Buy her flowers on Mother’s day and her birthday. Gather with my family and sing to her. Tell my friends how wonderful she is.
How do you honor Mary?
Pretty much as above, except that my family extends to include my Church family, plus there are more days set aside throughout the year celebrating other aspects of her life in the Church.

Upvote 0

Jeepneytravel

Feb 11, 2017
Asia Pacific
✟33,173.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Buy her flowers on Mother’s day and her birthday. Gather with my family and sing to her. Tell my friends how wonderful she is.

Pretty much as above, except that my family extends to include my Church family, plus there are more days set aside throughout the year celebrating other aspects of her life in the Church.

Sounds a lot like idolatry doesn't it??

• Prayers
Reactions: Gabriel Anton
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I honor my mother, but I do not worship her. Ditto for the teaching of the Catholic Church. There is a big difference between the two. I honor Mary because of the honor God gave her, but I do not worship her.
BTW, I am Catholic with masters in theology, so I think that gives some creditability to what I am saying.
The confusion arises because the question was whether or not Catholics consider Mary to be God. They don't. But some do think of her in a way that describes a god or a demi-god; and as we've discussed before, certain acts of devotion may amount to worship even if the person involved doesn't think that's what they're doing.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Wow, I guess a lot of people must worship their Mums.

Well, I never had a statue made of my Mum or knelt down in front of the statue or even her and heaped accolades on her, imploring her ability to grant me salvation at the hour of my death, nor did I even ever burn a single candle in front of her or a statue of her.

I guess I was a complete failure in honoring my mother.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, I never had a statue made of my Mum or knelt down in front of the statue or even her and heaped accolades on her, imploring her ability to grant me salvation at the hour of my death, nor did I even ever burn a single candle in front of her or a statue of her.

None if the above were even hinted at in my post, which nonetheless Mr jeepneytravel felt was synonymous with worship. Do you believe singing to your Mum and buying her flowers amounts to worship too?

• Winner
Upvote 0

Truth Lover

Aug 21, 2016
St Louis, MO
✟22,173.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Statues are religious art, like nativity scenes.
I praise her role because of the unique role God gave her--God becoming flesh and dwelling among us. The Angel Gabriel heaped accolades on her when he told her she was full of grace. In Luke 1:42 Elizabeth says, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb." Verse 48 says, "Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed;" That is what I am doing.
Mary does not grant salvation. Only Jesus does that. We ask her to pray to Jesus for us just as I ask a friend to pray for me. "Where two or more are gathered..."
Candles are not worship. They are a reminder to others to pray for our intention.
In John 19:27, Jesus told the beloved disciple that Mary would be his spiritual mother. I think we are all the beloved disciple. Jesus gave his mother to us to as our intercessor.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In John 19:27, Jesus told the beloved disciple that Mary would be his spiritual mother. I think we are all the beloved disciple. Jesus gave his mother to us to as our intercessor.

The word "spiritual" is nowhere in John 19:27. And nowhere in scripture does Jesus say for us to pray to Mary.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
None if the above were even hinted at in my post, which nonetheless Mr jeepneytravel felt was synonymous with worship. Do you believe singing to your Mum and buying her flowers amounts to worship too?

Apple and bananas here. I don't sing to Mary or buy her flowers. You are attempting rather feebly IMO to equate acts of honor to a human mother with acts of hyperdulia to Mary.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You might also note that nowhere in Scripture is Mary given to anyone in any way as an intercessor.

Detractors of your line of thought bring up the wedding in Cana. But it's important to note that nowhere in the story does anyone ask Mary to intercede, nor does Jesus tell them they need to go through Mary to ask him for anything.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Detractors of your line of thought bring up the wedding in Cana. But it's important to note that nowhere in the story does anyone ask Mary to intercede, nor does Jesus tell them they need to go through Mary to ask him for anything.

Quite true.

Upvote 0

Truth Lover

Aug 21, 2016
St Louis, MO
✟22,173.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
James 5:16 (NIV) says, "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."
The definition of pray in Merriam-Webster's dictionary is: entreat, implore —often used as a function word in introducing a question, request, or plea pray be careful.
The word pray is often used in legal matters in the sense of asking.
Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”
Catholics ask Mary to pray (that is, ask Jesus) for them and with them. It is nice to have a prayer partner 24/7.

• Winner
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
James 5:16 (NIV) says, "Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."
The definition of pray in Merriam-Webster's dictionary is: entreat, implore —often used as a function word in introducing a question, request, or plea pray be careful.
The word pray is often used in legal matters in the sense of asking.
Matthew 18:20 "For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.”
Catholics ask Mary to pray (that is, ask Jesus) for them and with them. It is nice to have a prayer partner 24/7.

It is an enormous leap from asking a personal friend to pray for you versus asking a long-deceased person who never knew you nor has any known interest in you or even ability to communicate with you, to pray for you.

As for myself, my Intercessor (Jesus Christ) sits at the right hand of the Father interceding for me 24/7/365. I don't need a postmistress to deliver my prayers to Him.

• Prayers
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is an enormous leap from asking a personal friend to pray for you versus asking a long-deceased person who never knew you nor has any known interest in you or even ability to communicate with you, to pray for you.
The experience of the Church over 2000 years suggests otherwise.
As for myself, my Intercessor (Jesus Christ) sits at the right hand of the Father interceding for me 24/7/365. I don't need a postmistress to deliver my prayers to Him.
So you never ask anyone to pray for because that would be superfluous, right?

• Winner
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The experience of the Church over 2000 years suggests otherwise.

So you never ask anyone to pray for because that would be superfluous, right?

I never ask a stranger, especially a person physically far removed from me, who is also quite deceased, to pray for me. I much prefer Jesus Christ, because He always lives to make intercession for me.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I never ask a stranger, especially a person physically far removed from me, who is also quite deceased, to pray for me. I much prefer Jesus Christ, because He always lives to make intercession for me.
The Saints are no strangers to us, and as they are one body with Christ there is literally no physical seperation between us.

• Winner
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,451.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The Saints are no strangers to us, and as they are one body with Christ there is literally no physical seperation between us.

Is there any particular reason you don't address your prayers to the One (Jesus Christ) who intercedes for His Church without ceasing?

• Prayers
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,181,176.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is there any particular reason you don't address your prayers to the One (Jesus Christ) who intercedes for His Church without ceasing?
Most of our prayers are to Christ. Who ever suggested otherwise?

• Informative
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.