Is Magic the Gathering an Evil Game? Can Christians Play It?

Polar Bear Quest

Apr 26, 2017
Washington
✟15,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I hadn't really been collecting Magic: The Gathering cards for too long but I do have a lot of cards, as well as Yu-Gi-Oh! cards (another questionable game that involves magic) and a few other card games. I've come to the conclusion playing or collecting these cards isn't of God and I stopped playing the game a couple of months back, but what to do with all the cards I have is a question I don't really have an answer to.

There's a couple of options. I could of course sell the cards or give them away. The only problem is I could help someone else get more engrossed in the game if I give the cards away or sell them. This is why I have been considering throwing the cards away so no one gets more engrossed into a game about magic.

What do you guys think? Should I sell, give away the cards, or throw them away?

Reactions: 2SUTHRN

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's not a game "about magic." It's just a collectible card game.

If you took it as "about magic", I think that's the main problem, and I mean that with full respect. Throwing the cards out, in my opinion, is to attribute power to them that they don't possess and that their manufacturer doesn't claim they possess.

Sell them and put the money towards your needs, save it, or give it to a good charity

Upvote 0

derpytia

Compassion.
Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟287,998.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I know a pastor who plays dungeons and dragons. I say, ask God, listen to what the Holy Spirit tells you, and be honest with yourself. If you feel that the cards are a problem (leading you to sin, to get involved in things you know you shouldn't, etc) then DO get rid of them. Jesus told us to deal as drastically with sin as possible. If not, then you should be fine but always be vigilant. :)

Upvote 0

LutheranGuy123

Feb 23, 2017
Texas
✟28,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is no such thing as magic. People can't do magic. Magic is not a sin.

The only sinful thing about magic is belief in magic. If you believe that a man can manipulate reality, you are blaspheming against God. If you do not believe so, then there is no harm in reading fun stories or playing fun games that include magic. Remember, a Christian wrote Faustus, a play about a man making a deal with a demon and even punching the Pope in the face, and the SparkNotes of that play are now read by high schoolers everywhere.

If you're dead set on getting rid of them, I'll buy them. I already play, and I don't intend to stop.

Upvote 0

LutheranGuy123

Feb 23, 2017
Texas
✟28,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hadn't really been collecting Magic: The Gathering cards for too long but I do have a lot of cards, as well as Yu-Gi-Oh! cards (another questionable game that involves magic) and a few other card games. I've come to the conclusion playing or collecting these cards isn't of God and I stopped playing the game a couple of months back, but what to do with all the cards I have is a question I don't really have an answer to.

There's a couple of options. I could of course sell the cards or give them away. The only problem is I could help someone else get more engrossed in the game if I give the cards away or sell them. This is why I have been considering throwing the cards away so no one gets more engrossed into a game about magic.

You decide what is sin against God and no one else.
The golden rule is actually, to thine own self be true.
But be true to yourself.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Check the packaging. Does it say "Made in Hell"? If not, then it is probably only as evil as the person looking at them.

However, if your heart tells you it is poison, you should listen to it. When I find poison, I usally dispose of it....I wouldn't give it to someone else to drink.

• Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

RabbiMike

Dec 19, 2013
✟17,675.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Okay, speaking as someone who's played Dungeons & Dragons since the mid-80s, and played a bit of MtG when it first came out in the 90s--it's a game. The cards simply contain arbitrary sub-rules and conditions that you employ to reach a win condition. There's no real magic there. The fluff on the cards is just to give some interesting context to the sub-rules. So, enjoy!

Fun fact: Gary Gygax, the "father" of D&D, was actually a deeply committed Christian who often cited chapter and verse from the Bible to explain everything from how he lived his personal life to why he did or did not include certain elements in the original version of the game. So, when certain people call D&D Satanic (and particularly when they did so back when Gary was still involved in developing it back in the 80s), they were actually slandering a brother in the Lord.

Shalom!

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And to clarify my post above: sell your cards if you don't want them anymore, not as a way to get rid of something evil.

And thanks for the always-relevant defense of D&D and our brother Gary Gygax. And for the clear explanation of MTG.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,342.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Just because it's called "Magic" and it's theme involves magic doesn't mean that it's evil. I do thing people get way too hung up on fictional depictions of magic, which is what this is, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with playing it.

However, it's not without its dangers as it (and other collectable card games) can turn into an obsession and it's possible to sink a lot of money into it trying to create the perfect deck. If someone can afford to spend that money then that's not really a problem, but if they're struggling to pay their bills then that's an entirely different matter and they should definitely not be spending that money on Magic cards.

So my advice would be to sell the cards. You are not going to be encouraging the person who buys them to start delving into the occult - anyone who does that will be doing it for reasons other than having played the game. And if you really feel that you shouldn't be taking the money, then as already mentioned, you can give it to charity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Polar Bear Quest

Apr 26, 2017
Washington
✟15,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There is no such thing as magic. People can't do magic. Magic is not a sin.

The only sinful thing about magic is belief in magic. If you believe that a man can manipulate reality, you are blaspheming against God. If you do not believe so, then there is no harm in reading fun stories or playing fun games that include magic. Remember, a Christian wrote Faustus, a play about a man making a deal with a demon and even punching the Pope in the face, and the SparkNotes of that play are now read by high schoolers everywhere.

If you're dead set on getting rid of them, I'll buy them. I already play, and I don't intend to stop.

I have to disagree, there is a such thing as magic and it is shown to exist in the bible multiple times.

Exodus 7:11-12

11 Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.

12 For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.

In fact the Egyptian sorcerers did all that the Israelite's did (to a lesser extent) throughout the recounting of the plagues that came upon Egypt.

Another example of magic or sorcery is Saul calling the medium and having her contact a dead spirit. Now of course this spirit was not likely really Samuel but a demon.

11 Then said the woman, Whom shall I bring up unto thee? And he said, Bring me up Samuel.

12 And when the woman saw Samuel, she cried with a loud voice: and the woman spake to Saul, saying, Why hast thou deceived me? for thou art Saul.

13 And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.

14 And he said unto her, What form is he of? And she said, An old man cometh up; and he is covered with a mantle. And Saul perceived that it was Samuel, and he stooped with his face to the ground, and bowed himself.

15 And Samuel said to Saul, Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up? And Saul answered, I am sore distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God is departed from me, and answereth me no more, neither by prophets, nor by dreams: therefore I have called thee, that thou mayest make known unto me what I shall do.

There's no doubt MAGIC is real and it is biblical. I don't know how believing magic is real could possibly blaspheming him. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the game (particularly collecting the cards) the artwork is amazing but casting a spell to play cards that are demons, warlocks, and evil beings is just not something that makes sense to be apart of anymore. At least for me. And I admit perhaps I am wrong here.

That being said the bible does say:

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal.

John 12:25

I feel like this card game is a love of this world that I need to lose.

Upvote 0

Polar Bear Quest

Apr 26, 2017
Washington
✟15,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just because it's called "Magic" and it's theme involves magic doesn't mean that it's evil. I do thing people get way too hung up on fictional depictions of magic, which is what this is, and I don't believe there's anything wrong with playing it.

However, it's not without its dangers as it (and other collectable card games) can turn into an obsession and it's possible to sink a lot of money into it trying to create the perfect deck. If someone can afford to spend that money then that's not really a problem, but if they're struggling to pay their bills then that's an entirely different matter and they should definitely not be spending that money on Magic cards.

So my advice would be to sell the cards. You are not going to be encouraging the person who buys them to start delving into the occult - anyone who does that will be doing it for reasons other than having played the game. And if you really feel that you shouldn't be taking the money, then as already mentioned, you can give it to charity.
Thanks for the advice. That being said, when one plays a card in the game it's called "casting a spell." There are many mechanics in the game that are magic based as well such as scrying.

Scrying is the occult practice of using a medium, most commonly a reflective surface or translucent body, to aid perceived psychic abilities such as clairvoyance. The media often used to "see" are water, polished precious stones, crystal balls, or mirrors. Scrying, in this context, uses a "visual" process.

Until recently I didn't even know scrying had to do with the occult. When someone scry's in the game, they get to look at the top few cards of their deck thus simulating real scying a would-be psychic or witch would do.

The thing is there are many mechanics in the game, as well as artwork, and card text that have occult meanings that most players don't even consider is evil and not of God. Most players have no idea how some aspects of the game relate to true occult practices and people (myself included) performed these game mechanics without a second thought. Even back when I was an atheist if I had known some of the mechanics of MTG were so close to real evil magic I might have avoided the game altogether.

• Agree
Reactions: 2SUTHRN
Upvote 0

LutheranGuy123

Feb 23, 2017
Texas
✟28,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have to disagree, there is a such thing as magic and it is shown to exist in the bible multiple times.

Exodus 7:11-12

In fact the Egyptian sorcerers did all that the Israelite's did (to a lesser extent) throughout the recounting of the plagues that came upon Egypt.

Another example of magic or sorcery is Saul calling the medium and having her contact a dead spirit. Now of course this spirit was not likely really Samuel but a demon.

There's no doubt MAGIC is real and it is biblical. I don't know how believing magic is real could possibly blaspheming him. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the game (particularly collecting the cards) the artwork is amazing but casting a spell to play cards that are demons, warlocks, and evil beings is just not something that makes sense to be apart of anymore. At least for me. And I admit perhaps I am wrong here.

That being said the bible does say:

John 12:25

I feel like this card game is a love of this world that I need to lose.

The Catholic Church (elders much wiser than either of us) used to charge people with blasphemy if they accused someone of being a witch. While I don't normally agree with them, I think they can be trusted here.

And again, there is no harm in pretend, so long as you don't move to reality. People have dressed as Satan and pretended to be demons on Halloween for hundreds of years, and no denomination I know of discouraged this.

Upvote 0

LutheranGuy123

Feb 23, 2017
Texas
✟28,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Thanks for the advice. That being said, when one plays a card in the game it's called "casting a spell." There are many mechanics in the game that are magic based as well such as scrying.

Until recently I didn't even know scrying had to do with the occult. When someone scry's in the game, they get to look at the top few cards of their deck thus simulating real scying a would-be psychic or witch would do.

The thing is there are many mechanics in the game, as well as artwork, and card text that have occult meanings that most players don't even consider is evil and not of God. Most players have no idea how some aspects of the game relate to true occult practices and people (myself included) performed these game mechanics without a second thought. Even back when I was an atheist if I had known some of the mechanics of MTG were so close to real evil magic I might have avoided the game altogether.

Being named after an occult idea is not the same thing as being evil any more than being named after something good is the same as being good. Otherwise any "adult" venue with the word Heaven or angel in its name would be a fine place for Christians, and eating a Carolina Reaper pepper would be a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You might enjoy litRPG as an activity.

Amazon.com: litrpg: Kindle Store

Upvote 0

RabbiMike

Dec 19, 2013
✟17,675.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
However, it's not without its dangers as it (and other collectable card games) can turn into an obsession and it's possible to sink a lot of money into it trying to create the perfect deck.

So . . . basically it has the exact same risk as any other hobby, from model railroading to following a sports team to playing a sport. It's funny how the only time you hear warnings that, "Oh, that can become an obsession ..." it's about a geek hobby.

"You know, I've really gotten into watching football lately."
"Be careful. That could easily turn into an obsession and it's possible to sink a lot of money into it ..." :preach:

Said no one ever.

Shalom!

Upvote 0

RabbiMike

Dec 19, 2013
✟17,675.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

True, but you're not actually "casting a spell." Again, it's flavor text given to employing arbitrary micro-rules. If you look at it and say, "Nope, that's not for me," that's fine. (I never really got that far into MtG myself.) But it makes just as much sense to accuse C.S. Lewis' Narnia or J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle-earth as being occultic as it does D&D or MtG, given that both contain instances of the good guys using "magic"--and yes, even "scrying" (e.g., when Aragorn uses the palantir, which is basically just a crystal ball).

One might as well accuse chess of being a gateway into indiscriminate war and monarchism.

Shalom!

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Hey, if it's not for you anymore - for any reason or for no reason - quit, of course. But I have to say I like @RabbiMike's phrase "arbitrary micro-rules". You could make a game that was the same mechanically that would look like Chutes and Ladders or have all the "complexity" of MTG but instead be a mock cooking contest. "I'm gonna 'slice eggplant.'"

As Gary Gygax said of D&D, "It's a game! The magic spells in it are as real as the gold. Try retiring on that stuff."

Upvote 0

RabbiMike

Dec 19, 2013
✟17,675.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
You could make a game that was the same mechanically that would look like Chutes and Ladders . . .

Additional Fun Fact: Chutes and Ladders originated in India as "Snakes and Ladders" and was used to teach Hindu children about reincarnation. Guess we should stop playing that with our kids.

Shalom!

Upvote 0