Los Angeles Area
✟829,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
will be happy to take all the paying customers that are rejected due to the one sin that is somehow greater than all others.

Playing Christmas music before Thanksgiving?

Reactions: ViaCrucis
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To say nothing wouldn't be lying. To give a reason that is not correct would be lying.

In the mentioned thread, some Christians gave the advice: "Tell them you are busy.", if they don't want to take the job. That is a slight difference from: "No, I won't take the job", wouldn't you say?

Yes, you have the "right" to remain silent. I'm not quite sure what this would demonstrate to a potential customer. Nothing good, I'd say.
The main point here is you have a situation where a liberal is trying to shove or force their opinion on a conservative. They are trying to use the law to force them to do something against their fundamental religious freedom. This is a violation of the conservatives constitutional rights. Under the circumstances what do you think an appropriate response would be?

We are talking about the Colorado Baker who refused to bake a cake for the same sex marriage.

Cake Is His ‘Art.’ So Can He Deny One to a Gay Couple?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Jesus never drove a car, so no, it is not moral.
I Know right? I Love how those cars imitate the iron beast in daniel and revelation, and how they are given power by dragon's bones, such a delightful fulfillment of prophecy. Without the automobile, how would Industry devour the earth and trample all the protesters under its feet?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Reading that in context is clear to see why that was said; Rom 3:3-4 For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect? 4 Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written:“That You may be justified in Your words,And may overcome when You are judged.”
I tend to apply this verse in a hopeless argument in saying ... well, I know God is right. and leave it at that.

Upvote 0

Freodin

Devout believer in a theologically different God
Mar 9, 2002
Germany, Bavaria, Middle Franconia
Visit site
✟242,764.00
Faith
Atheist
The main point here is you have a situation where a liberal is trying to shove or force their opinion on a conservative. They are trying to use the law to force them to do something against their fundamental religious freedom. This is a violation of the conservatives constitutional rights. Under the circumstances what do you think an appropriate response would be?

We are talking about the Colorado Baker who refused to bake a cake for the same sex marriage.

Cake Is His ‘Art.’ So Can He Deny One to a Gay Couple?
As I said in the OP, I don't want to discuss this question here.
Personally I would say that if you place your "fundamental religious freedom" and "constitutional right" over loving your neighbors, you are doing something wrong.

Upvote 0

majj27

Mr. Owl has had quite enough
Jun 2, 2014
✟82,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Lying is always a sin, but we can repent at a later time.

That comes awfully close to intentionally choosing to do something you know to be wrong because hey, you can always just say you're sorry. I'm not certain that's a good plan.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I could not comment on the original thread I mentioned, because it was in a Christian-Only section of this forum. It seems there are Christians who are very well able to do it.

Considering that it was explicitly Christians who gave this advice, I think this cute little attacks on Muslims in inappropriate.

Interesting though that you mention it. What you said is wrong: Muslims are, by their religion, also not allowed to lie "if it forwards their purposes", and definitly not encouraged. This, basically is a lie, often repeated by anti-islam sources.

Muslims are, though, allowed to lie, if telling the truth would place them in unnecessary danger or hardship.

Quite relevant for this situation. Some Christians have repeatedly claimed that doing business with "sinners" (like baking wedding cakes for same-sex-couples, doing photos, etc.) would "go against their religion" or "make them celebrate the sin".
You might consider this "unnecessary harship". A Muslim in this case might be religiously justified to resort to false excuses.

Muslims mainly defend that rule by saying it's meant for situations where admitting they were Muslim would get them killed or something, and that may have been the original intent, but many Muslims use it to justify lying for personal gain, just like you accuse Christians of doing.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Personally I would say that if you place your "fundamental religious freedom" and"constitutional right" over loving your neighbors, you are doing something wrong.
That door swings both ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As I said in the OP, I don't want to discuss this question here.
Personally I would say that if you place your "fundamental religious freedom" and "constitutional right" over loving your neighbors, you are doing something wrong.

What if a part of loving your neighbor, as it is set by principle within one's paradigm, also includes not only expressing verbal articulations that your neighbor is morally wrong, but also resistance against general legal requirements for complicity that, if obeyed, would deny the basic principles of your paradigm?

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Muslims mainly defend that rule by saying it's meant for situations where admitting they were Muslim would get them killed or something, and that may have been the original intent, but many Muslims use it to justify lying for personal gain, just like you accuse Christians of doing.

Freodin is accusing no one, the Christians replying to the posts are flat out telling the person to lie.

BTW the Thread has nothing to do with Muslims, no matter how much you want it to.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Freodin is accusing no one, the Christians replying to the posts are flat out telling the person to lie.

BTW the Thread has nothing to do with Muslims, no matter how much you want it to.

I wouldn't say that the Baker or Candle-Stick Maker, or whatever, should lie. And to some extent, we Christians should know the risk of ... being Christian, just like in the good ol' days! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That comes awfully close to intentionally choosing to do something you know to be wrong because hey, you can always just say you're sorry. I'm not certain that's a good plan.
I didn't say it was a good plan. However, even Saint Augustin was said to say, "Lord, grant me chastity and continence, but not yet".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Just like with cars, they hadnt invented lying yet back then.

Is there any record of Jesus going to the bathroom? Do we then conclude he never did? Do we then decide since Jesus never did it the act is sinful?

BTW there is mention of making facilities for just this purpose in Genesis or Exodus.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,445.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I saw that thread too and the answers surprised me as well. On the flip side, my Photography business that my daughter is currently running, and covers the Muskegon Michigan area as well, will be happy to take all the paying customers that are rejected due to the one sin that is somehow greater than all others.

They do not surprise me in the least. There is a certain sort of Christian who makes their faith well known yet never feel bound by the ethics if that faith.

Years ago I decided that if a business makes it known that they are Christian I will avoid them if feasible unless it seems that they are doing so because they choose not to work on the sabbath (and that it seems to me they are informing their customers at least in part for the sake of the customer). If they imply I'm Christian, you can trust me I know I can't and I simply will not do business with them.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I didn't say it was a good plan. However, even Saint Augustin was said to say, "Lord, grant me chastity and continence, but not yet".

Out of context.

"But I, miserable young man, supremely miserable even in the very outset of my youth, had entreated chastity of You, and said, 'Grant me chastity and continency, but not yet.' For I was afraid lest You should hear me soon, and soon deliver me from the disease of concupiscence, which I desired to have satisfied rather than extinguished." - The Confessions, Book 8, Ch.7, 17

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Lucian Hodoboc

I've already read the Bible
Jul 8, 2017
-
Visit site
✟89,082.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Out of context.

"But I, miserable young man, supremely miserable even in the very outset of my youth, had entreated chastity of You, and said, 'Grant me chastity and continency, but not yet.' For I was afraid lest You should hear me soon, and soon deliver me from the disease of concupiscence, which I desired to have satisfied rather than extinguished." - The Confessions, Book 8, Ch.7, 17

-CryptoLutheran
How is it out of context? He did say that.

Upvote 0