Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
i mean that when your focus drifts from God, it can be much easier to focus on correcting other people. the 'authors' of the scriptures were inspired by the Holy Spirit to record them for instruction; Jesus, being righteous according to the Law of Moses, had the right to judge people's hearts, as well as the guidance of the Holy Spirit - the writers of the epistles are also credited with inspiration from the Holy Spirit when they wrote the letters to the churches - we lack those credentials, and so did the churches the Lord was speaking to in Revelations

Reactions: Tone
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
i mean that when your focus drifts from God, it can be much easier to focus on correcting other people. the 'authors' of the scriptures were inspired by the Holy Spirit to record them for instruction; Jesus, being righteous according to the Law of Moses, had the right to judge people's hearts, as well as the guidance of the Holy Spirit - the writers of the epistles are also credited with inspiration from the Holy Spirit when they wrote the letters to the churches - we lack those credentials, and so did the churches the Lord was speaking to in Revelations

So, the only people who can find fault are Jesus and the apostles? That puts a pretty serious crimp in the many commands of Scripture to believers (especially Elders) to judge, discern, rebuke, reprove and exhort one another.

I find the greater an appreciation a believer has for God's truth and its power to change lives for the better and for eternity, and the more a believer loves the Author of Scripture and His Bride, the Church, the more a believer seeks to defend and preserve the truth and the Church, pointing out false doctrines as they appear, withstanding and casting out the leaven that infiltrates the Church, and teaching the truth of Scripture carefully and faithfully. Doing so inevitably involves finding fault - not as a result of losing focus on God but, rather, exactly the reverse.

Some believers do just like to fight and argue for the sake of doing so. But not all. I think it's best, then, to be careful not to lump all fault-finding together as a spiritual failing.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
the examples given us in scripture of the apostle's corrections to others were inspired by the Holy Spirit, were they not? how can anyone alive today claim to so rightly divide the Word of God?

we have the ministry of reconciliation, not of correction; the way to correct error is to simply preach the Truth that counters the error, not expound on the error. faith can only be a part of Truth; there is no faith in judgement and correction; there is only Law

(2Ti 2:14) Remind the people of these facts, and solemnly charge them in the presence of God to avoid petty controversy over words, which does no good, and [upsets and undermines and] ruins [the faith of] those who listen.
(2Ti 2:15) Study and do your best to present yourself to God approved, a workman [tested by trial] who has no reason to be ashamed, accurately handling and skillfully teaching the word of truth.
(2Ti 2:16) But avoid all irreverent babble and godless chatter [with its profane, empty words], for it will lead to further ungodliness,
(2Ti 2:17) and their teaching will spread like gangrene.
So it is with Hymenaeus and Philetus,
(2Ti 2:18) who have deviated from the truth. They claim that the resurrection has already taken place, and they undermine the faith of some.
(2Ti 2:19) Nevertheless, the firm foundation of God [which He has laid] stands [sure and unshaken despite attacks], bearing this seal: "The Lord knows those who are His," and, "Let everyone who names the name of the Lord stand apart from wickedness and withdraw from wrongdoing." [Num_16:5; Isa_26:13]
(2Ti 2:20) Now in a large house there are not only vessels and objects of gold and silver, but also vessels and objects of wood and of earthenware, and some are for honorable (noble, good) use and some for dishonorable (ignoble, common).
(2Ti 2:21) Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things [which are dishonorable--disobedient, sinful], he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified [set apart for a special purpose and], useful to the Master, prepared for every good work.
(2Ti 2:22) Run away from youthful lusts--pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace with those [believers] who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
(2Ti 2:23) But have nothing to do with foolish and ignorant speculations [useless disputes over unedifying, stupid controversies], since you know that they produce strife and give birth to quarrels.
(2Ti 2:24) The servant of the Lord must not participate in quarrels, but must be kind to everyone [even-tempered, preserving peace, and he must be], skilled in teaching, patient and tolerant when wronged.

(2Ti 2:25) He must correct those who are in opposition with courtesy and gentleness in the hope that God may grant that they will repent and be led to the knowledge of the truth [accurately understanding and welcoming it],
(2Ti 2:26) and that they may come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, having been held captive by him to do his will.

when you share what you believe to be the Truth in kindness, God can correct errors in the ears of the hearer to edify; but when you seek to judge and condemn one in error, where is edifying? who can see the heart of another so clearly as to know whether the error is preached from ignorance, or from evil intent?

if the best thing the Lord could say about me was that i could not bear them which are evil: and I had tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and had found them liars, it would tell me that my focus had been askew...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
pointing out false doctrines as they appear, withstanding and casting out the leaven that infiltrates the Church, and teaching the truth of Scripture carefully and faithfully.

Yes, dealing with the leaven decisively, but seeking restoration for the individual.

• Agree
Reactions: aiki
Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, the only people who can find fault are Jesus and the apostles?

i just realized that i didn't answer your question - the only person who can find fault is Jesus; the examples we have in scripture are of His Holy Spirit's fault-finding - not that of the apostles. no doubt the apostles found many faults; but only the ones for which they yielded to the Holy Spirit are found in scripture. 'pointing out false doctrines as they appear' is an endless process; as is preaching the 'word of reconciliation' - the church at Ephesus had evidently focused on the former, instead of the latter

(2Co 5:18) And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
(2Co 5:19) To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

Upvote 0