Is life a good or bad thing for Christians?

Gogogo

Dec 4, 2016
France
✟9,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Is life a good or bad thing for Christians?
And if it's a good thing, how do you explain that the “Paradise“ of one of the major religion of the world consist in getting out of the cycle of life (Nirvana with Buddhism) ?
If it doesn't happen like that in Buddhism, correct me please, I am ignorant about this religion.

Thank you for your answers!

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Life is a very good thing. Buddhism seeks to deny both the joy and the pain of life, and eventually annihilate life. The roots of Buddhism lie in the Buddha becoming aware of pain and death. Buddhism would divorce us from being the humans we are. I think Buddhism is sort of scientific and reductionist in that way.

Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

ananda

Early Buddhist
May 6, 2011
Soujourner on Earth
✟186,371.00
Marital Status
Private
... the “Paradise“ of one of the major religion of the world consist in getting out of the cycle of life (Nirvana with Buddhism) ? If it doesn't happen like that in Buddhism, correct me please, I am ignorant about this religion.
That's essentially correct, IMO.

"Life" as we know it involves cause & effect. For every cause, there must be an effect. (E.g. life inevitably results in death.) The natural conclusion is that life is constantly undergoing change, and change is dissatisfying since we desire no change to things which makes us happy. Therefore, we conclude that samsaric life is ultimately dissatisfying, due to its inherent changing nature.

Nibbana is considered uncaused, and is therefore unchanging.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Life can be good. That's the reason for the Resurrection, we get our rewards or punishments along side with the body we achieved those things.
We Ekklesia, born again ones, receive chastisement, even scourging (painful), that is not comfortable at the time, but it is GOOD! GREAT ! WONDERFUL ! It means we are HIS CHILDREN ! Those without scourging are not His children.

But I think "punishment" is for the wicked, the unrepentant, as Yahuweh declares in His Word. Not for His children.

There is no fear in Agape (God's Love), because fear involves punishment.

• Agree
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We Ekklesia, born again ones, receive chastisement, even scourging (painful), that is not comfortable at the time, but it is GOOD! GREAT ! WONDERFUL ! It means we are HIS CHILDREN ! Those without scourging are not His children.

But I think "punishment" is for the wicked, the unrepentant, as Yahuweh declares in His Word. Not for His children.

There is no fear in Agape (God's Love), because fear involves punishment.
Both righteous and wicked will be resurrected.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Right now it doesn't compute. As in non-sequitur. You deviated from what the topic of your post, my reply, your reply was.
I will just put you in ignore for a few days. Maybe things get better after that.

• Agree
Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Gogogo

Dec 4, 2016
France
✟9,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your answers!

But the life after the Resurrection isn't the current life that us all (Chrstians, Buddhist and others) are able to judge.

And of what Resurrection are you talking about David Neos please?
I know some Christians believe in a thousand years of earthly life after the death but I believed it wasn't the case of the Catholics.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Thanks for your answers!

But the life after the Resurrection isn't the current life that us all (Chrstians, Buddhist and others) are able to judge.

And of what Resurrection are you talking about David Neos please?
I know some Christians believe in a thousand years of earthly life after the death but I believed it wasn't the case of the Catholics.
The life after the Resurrection is a continuation of the current life. That's why I don't try to blame the current world but falling in unholy habits.

Upvote 0

Gogogo

Dec 4, 2016
France
✟9,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Why would anyone seek to judge the future life ?
I don't know.
What was interesting me is that Christians wanted Eternal Life while Buddhist wanted to disappear from life.
Kind of 2 opposites.
But about the future life, I believe only peoples in the favors of God are supposed to know it, so we can assume it is good, I guess a life without bad people, disease, aging (?).

My initial question reworded could be: must a Christian endure or enjoy life?
The answer is probably both, Jesus and Satan are both present in this world I guess according to Christians.
I believe Jesus said that Satan was the prince of this world but there are probably other words in the Scriptures who counterbalance that.

The life after the Resurrection is a continuation of the current life.
Yeah but without the bad things I believe, that makes a difference.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's essentially correct, IMO.

"Life" as we know it involves cause & effect. For every cause, there must be an effect. (E.g. life inevitably results in death.) The natural conclusion is that life is constantly undergoing change, and change is dissatisfying since we desire no change to things which makes us happy. Therefore, we conclude that samsaric life is ultimately dissatisfying, due to its inherent changing nature.

Nibbana is considered uncaused, and is therefore unchanging.

A couple of things I would like cleared up. Who is/are the "we" in the above? Why would you assume that something uncaused would be unchanging?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't know.
What was interesting me is that Christians wanted Eternal Life while Buddhist wanted to disappear from life.
Kind of 2 opposites.
But about the future life, I believe only peoples in the favors of God are supposed to know it, so we can assume it is good, I guess a life without bad people, disease, aging (?).

My initial question reworded could be: must a Christian endure or enjoy life?
The answer is probably both, Jesus and Satan are both present in this world I guess according to Christians.
I believe Jesus said that Satan was the prince of this world but there are probably other words in the Scriptures who counterbalance that.

Yeah but without the bad things I believe, that makes a difference.
The bad things can be done for good. We all become better when we use suffering for our benefits, the ones who give up to suffering end up worse.

Upvote 0