Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I mean, works of Plato and Aristotle have been used by Christians to defend their beliefs or even to get into a common ground with non-Christians. What do you think?

Personally, I've never been a big stickler on referring to or using 'Greek' philosophy. However, being that our New Testament as we have it was written in [Koine] Greek, and being that some of our earlier, post-Apostolic [maybe even some Apostolic] traditions were influenced by considerations involving reference and use of 'Greek' philosophy--such as the concept of 'the Logos'---it probably wouldn't hurt us to have some minimal familiarity with various strains of ancient Greek philosophy, particularly those of the prominent minds of Plato and Aristotle.

Upvote 0

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Learn as much as you can. All knowledge is useful. Just make sure you scrutinize whatever you learn under the light of scripture.

I agree with this statement on its face but there is a lot of so-called "knowledge" that can mislead, particularly doctrines of Gnosticism. I think it's good to be able to speak the language of the "world" but we need to make sure as you said to test it against scripture. If I'm recalling correctly a lot of heresies came about because they were trying to meld Greek philosophy to the bible and sacrificing the bible at the altar of philosophy. The pull of the world is strong and it will try to corrupt us if it can.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,063,347.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I like the works of Socrates along with philosophers such as Confucius and Lao-Tzu. These guys did not promote any religion but kept their boundaries within classic reason. Now, this is not Bible scripture, but I think useful and enjoyable.

Upvote 0

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I mean, works of Plato and Aristotle have been used by Christians to defend their beliefs or even to get into a common ground with non-Christians. What do you think?

Absolutely. I don't know how you could understand medieval Christian philosophy if you don't know Plato and Aristotle. And if you're looking at Eastern Orthodoxy, you would really benefit from a background in Platonism.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟149,061.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Greek philosophy" is a group that contains tuns and tuns of various literature, ideas, authors.

Some works are very useful, some are useful, some are useless and some are silly pagan errors.

So, as with everything - "it depends". I, personally, found stoicism (Epiktetos, for example) quite useful for my daily life. And for example Philo of Alexandria had some interesting ideas about the Old Testament.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Plato and Aristotle are interesting, but they are probably no longer "common ground."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
In the late first and early second centuries the Christian church lost its Jewish roots and became largely Gentile in background. At the same time they adopted wholeheartedly an understanding of the world through the lens of Greek philosophy. This is reflected in the formulation of the major doctrines in the third and fourth centuries. For example, no modern Christian could read the Athanasian Creed and claim to understand Trinity without at least some exposure to Greek philosophy.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree with this statement on its face but there is a lot of so-called "knowledge" that can mislead, particularly doctrines of Gnosticism. I think it's good to be able to speak the language of the "world" but we need to make sure as you said to test it against scripture. If I'm recalling correctly a lot of heresies came about because they were trying to meld Greek philosophy to the bible and sacrificing the bible at the altar of philosophy. The pull of the world is strong and it will try to corrupt us if it can.
Agree, some of Plato's teachings are against the material world.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Absolutely. I don't know how you could understand medieval Christian philosophy if you don't know Plato and Aristotle. And if you're looking at Eastern Orthodoxy, you would really benefit from a background in Platonism.
I'm curious, how is Orthodoxy related to Platonism?

• Friendly
Reactions: Shawn Stuart
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Silmarien

Existentialist
Feb 24, 2017
New York
✟215,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm curious, how is Orthodoxy related to Platonism?

The first millennium of Christianity, both Eastern and Western has strong Platonic influences, but that is still such a key part of Orthodoxy. If you look at the writings of someone like St. Maximus the Confessor, it is very easy to spot the Platonic metaphysics at work in what he's saying.

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The first millennium of Christianity, both Eastern and Western has strong Platonic influences, but that is still such a key part of Orthodoxy. If you look at the writings of someone like St. Maximus the Confessor, it is very easy to spot the Platonic metaphysics at work in what he's saying.
Thanks, I will look in more detail.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
  • Agree
Reactions: Not David
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,131,176.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

...also, there is that bit about Epicurus and the Problem of Evil, as well as Plato's Euthyphro Dilemma, that play into our present day attempts to met out Christian Apologetics, and I think it would behoove Christians to be familiar with the arguments and the writings which pertain to these two contentions which Skeptics often trot out and use against our faith. So, we need to recognize that there's a negative side of Ancient Greek Philosophy which comes along with the useful side of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0