Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
This could equally go on a Christian sub-forum as I welcome answers in a Christian context as well.
Have you ever kept a journal?
Was it useful?
I admit I have. One of the most painful experiences is re reading a journal one has kept 5 or even 10 years ago. And seeing where your thoughts were. You ask yourself "What on earth was I thinking then?" "Look at the anger" "Look at the obsessions."
Counsellors have advised me to keep journals as a way of monitoring thoughts. I can see some value. it is good writing practice. And it reveals to you what insanities, the mind is prone to dwell on.
I don't keep one now. But maybe I use CF as a kind of journal. tsk tsk. sorry about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chanticleera

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've never kept a journal, I've kept a diary of what I've read in the bible and recorded thoughts about that.
I found that helpfull in making me think more about what I was reading and that helped understand it.
I know of people who keep a prayer journal. Recording what they pray for and recording answers to prayer.

Blogs are a form of a journal that invite others to comment on ones musings.
I think it dependson what you hope to gain from keeping a journal.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I've never kept a journal, I've kept a diary of what I've read in the bible and recorded thoughts about that.
I found that helpfull in making me think more about what I was reading and that helped understand it.
I know of people who keep a prayer journal. Recording what they pray for and recording answers to prayer.

Blogs are a form of a journal that invite others to comment on ones musings.
I think it dependson what you hope to gain from keeping a journal.
Thanks for your input John.
I'm thinking one in a Christian context might be suitable for me now. Bible based for every entry? No I don't want to go that far.
I like your idea of keeping a diary of what you've read in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I have two bible verses that come into my email every day( with two devotional messages). I read those and I contemplate on them over my morning coffee. During the day I collect experiences. Towards evening with my late afternoon coffee I write both scriptures in my journal book and I reflect how those if in any way correlated with my experiences, to which they may or may not have. Then I write a prayer, sometimes as simple as thanking God or praising Him for the day . Other times for specific people and once in a while I include myself. Truth be known I took an interest in dip pens and fountain pens some time back and this is a way to be active with those tools. But gets me to see more scripture and to interact with that scripture. And writing it down has a certain soothing effect. The prayers sometimes are powerful and important.

So this isn't a true personal journal but there is something enriching about it. Some days there are personal prayers in there for myself or my marriage. Usually it's for the unsaved or about some profound experience I've had yet again, to which I have had many in my lifetime. Prayers for family, prayers for illnesses, prayers for some folks with bitter hearts, prayers for bible study Tues evenings and Wed mornings that I attend etc. Right now I have to catch up two days worth of that because we have had a busy time here in the last few days, but I will do that today, then write today's tonight..

But you might try something like that Paul, maybe. You could do a spiritual growth journal, not sure what format exactly, that would be up to you. i can tell you that my journal gives me a chance just to sit back with the Lord as my focus and pray on the words I'm writing down. That in itself is worth more than diamonds and rubies.

• Informative
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I have two bible verses that come into my email every day( with two devotional messages). I read those and I contemplate on them over my morning coffee.
Don't worry, the rest of your post is excellent as well. I just want to capture the way you started it. I'm picturing you now Dave. Having your coffee and thinking about those readings, contemplating. I like your idea. I might try it.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've never kept a journal. I have tried a few times in my life but found myself writing the same things day after day, so for me it grew rather pointless. I'd say whatever works for you, go for it. We are all different. I'd rather post in forums and blogs because I love feedback. But, that's just me.

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,179.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Don't worry, the rest of your post is excellent as well. I just want to capture the way you started it. I'm picturing you now Dave. Having your coffee and thinking about those readings, contemplating. I like your idea. I might try it.
I forgot to mention the Orange juice and Kind Bar Breakfast Bars I have with the coffee LOL !! Well anyway, it kind of sets the tone for the day, placing God in His proper position ahead of the days projects and events.

Did I mention I have a pulpit in my house ? It's in my dining room and I have a thick Dakes reference bible that sits on there. I open it and look down and what I read might be a personal scripture for the day. Or I might open up to one of the scripture that came in my email. Then during the day I can glance at it in the organic material of ink and paper. Why a pulpit in my house ? I built it from materials I had here for our bible studies when they were in houses and it gave the pastors a place to set their materials down and in etc. We don't do it that way now , so it's just here and I like it like that ! Hey we used it for my daughter back yard wedding in 2015.

Upvote 0

Hearingheart

May 25, 2016
Midwest
✟86,845.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am one that needs an outlet for my thoughts so I journal a lot because if I don't they just sit there in the dark waiting for light to be shed on them.

For me a journal is more than just writing my thoughts, I include poetry, musings, doodles and sketches. I vent, praise, wonder and reach temporary conclusions.

It is interesting to go back and read where I was years ago. It can be encouraging, humorous and sometimes downright scary.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I would be careful about giving too much attention and time to writing about things that are wrong.
You mean all writing should be bible-based? but but but ......... I prefer me based. :)

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your input John.
I'm thinking one in a Christian context might be suitable for me now. Bible based for every entry? No I don't want to go that far.
I like your idea of keeping a diary of what you've read in the Bible.
I did that when I did a navigator course.
The idea was one wrote what ch + verse one read, what struck you about it and why. Then what you'd prayed about.
It was a usefull if at times challenging discipline.

Upvote 0

Monna

Feb 5, 2017
Oicha Beni
✟105,254.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what to call what I do... writing thoughts and notes on bits of paper (drives my partner crazy!), occasionally writing a day's experience when I have a free moment (like sitting in an airport waiting area), keeping a booklet listing the books I have just read, with a few notes, writing ideas of something longer because my children would like me to write about my life... is it journaling, is it keeping a diary - it's certainly not regular nor particularly organised? But I find that sometimes when I start writing, stuff just flows, and old ideas suddenly produce new thoughts, insights on the scriptures, on the Lord Jesus, new dimensions, new perspectives. I've heard the saying "you can't steer a parked car" and would love to believe that the Holy Spirit is behind some of this, because there are times I am truly surpised with what gets onto the paper (or screen) buit really don't know if it is. I like to write, it is an important medium for thinking for me. But I imagine that I don't write very well. It may be that the process of writing is the important part, much more than going back later to read what I wrote... can that be?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟585,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, better call Paul :)
I would be careful about giving too much attention and time to writing about things that are wrong.

You mean all writing should be bible-based?
I mean we should not give too much of our attention to what is negative and wrong. We need to make sure we are paying attention to what is good, even while we deal with what isn't.

Upvote 0

Chanticleera

May 1, 2016
Florida, US
✟17,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This could equally go on a Christian sub-forum as I welcome answers in a Christian context as well.
Have you ever kept a journal?
Was it useful?
I admit I have. One of the most painful experiences is re reading a journal one has kept 5 or even 10 years ago. And seeing where your thoughts were. You ask yourself "What on earth was I thinking then?" "Look at the anger" "Look at the obsessions."
Counsellors have advised me to keep journals as a way of monitoring thoughts. I can see some value. it is good writing practice. And it reveals to you what insanities, the mind is prone to dwell on.
I don't keep one now. But maybe I use CF as a kind of journal. tsk tsk. sorry about that.

Yes! I know this is an older post, but I couldn't help but respond. Yes, yes, yes! I started keeping a journal this year and it has been incredibly helpful. Not just in keeping track of my thoughts and plans (I am very forgetful) but in FOCUSING my thoughts as well. I don't journal every day. Sometimes an entire week can go by if I am busy. But when I do journal regularly there is a dramatic improvement in my day to day life.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
But when I do journal regularly there is a dramatic improvement in my day to day life.
Thats interesting.
I was once into Buddhism and the lady giving us a talk advised against keeping a journal because it encouraged rumination and not letting go of the past. Don't think I agree with her.
I think when we reread our journals we realise how our thoughts are all over the place, and that sometimes we give some thoughts more attention than they deserve.
Now I always try to put it into a Christian context at the end.. First I let thoughts and pen run free. But that is mainly in blogs here on CF.

Reactions: Chanticleera
Upvote 0

Chanticleera

May 1, 2016
Florida, US
✟17,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I treat my blog here almost as a journal focusing on one thing - my new christian life. Often the posts are expansions of things already in my journal.

But do agree re-reading our journals can be...amusing sometimes. :) We think so much of ourselves, don't we? :)

• Haha
Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0