Is Just War ever acceptable?

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I read a very interesting essay whose conclusions I strongly disagree with by humanitarian aid group Doctors Without Borders, essentially going against the "just war" idea: Not In Our Name: Why MSF Does Not Support the "Responsibility to Protect"

To summarize, they contest that in almost no case is it ever acceptable to send military aid for people whose lives are in danger at the hands of terrorists/hostile forces.

The article breaks down many of the complexities, and points out how there is often corruption and ill intent in countries sending military aid; how often times it only makes the regional conflict worse; how it does not improve the situation in the long-term - all fine points, but in my view they speak from a humanistic perspective, one that believes that mankind can eventually fix itself.

Would Christians agree that Jesus Christ would approve of "just war," in the proper context? Is it not mankind's responsibility to act and help defend victims from their oppressors in the here and now? With all due respect to MSF and all the work they do, suggesting that people stand on the side and only help with relief (which is important, but by no means sufficient) rather than go and fight to save people? Jesus said turn the other cheek, but not stand by giving aid packets as children, women and men are slaughtered at your feet.

Would you not shoot down an attacker who is literally about to rape and kill a family? Or an army of such attackers? Look at what's happening to all the Christians in the Middle East, and other minorities. How do we not raise up arms to save them?

Nothing will solve the complexities of this world. The world will never achieve perfect peace and harmony. Only God can do that in his heavenly realm. What matters is what we do when we are called upon to act. Will we defend these people by all means necessary, or allow for them to be massacred in fear that any action will only make matters worse?

Again, while I respect some of MSF's programs and work, it seems that they are ignoring the very immediate and unavoidable necessity of military aid. When people's lives are on the line, those with the means to help must do so.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing, it has been said.

The purpose and role of the military and police is different than that of a Christian. Believers can seek aid from the military or the police but they themselves are not to harm anyone or take up arms. Romans 13 tells us that the higher powers (the worldly governments) are God's ministers of justice. I see calling the police to stop a violent situation as the same thing as praying to God for protection and then God using an angel to use lethal force to protect me. It was not my decision that God uses lethal force to protect me. He may not use lethal force to protect me. God may choose that nobody gets harmed when the military shows up to defend innocent lives. That kind of situation is up to God. Paul used the military as a means of protection from those who would seek to harm him (Acts 23:12-32 NLT).

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status