Is Jesus describing different severity of sin?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have heard all sins are equally bad in the eyes of God, since they all are enough to condemn us to damnation. But I believe sins have different severity. Is that what Jesus is saying here:

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.
— Matthew 5:22

Arc F1

Let the righteous man arise from slumber
Supporter
Mar 14, 2020
Kentucky
✟146,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have heard all sins are equally bad in the eyes of God, since they all are enough to condemn us to damnation. But I believe sins have different severity. Is that what Jesus is saying here:

But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.

I still can't get used to these new translations. Looks nothing like King James

22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

• Prayers
Reactions: SunAndRain
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

All sin is bad before God, but there are degrees of sin seen here, as well as degrees of potential punishment.

First, brother is gender neutral and implies our brothers and sisters in the faith to whom this anger and name calling is directed toward.

That's important.

Second, the first is anger, it's end is being judged before the council. The second is a word indicating petulant contempt, to which is judged before the Sanhedrin... (likely because murder has its root in anger)

But the last "you fool!" like the "fool" of the Old Testament, implies, as in Psalms 14:1, utter godlessness as well as lack of intellectual wisdom. With that meaning it embodied the temper like the first two, but in degrees this was one indicated a fixed and settled hatred. (From Bible Hub commentary on this verse)

So, degrees of sin, degrees of punishment.

However, why is a fixed and settled hatred for your brethren in Christ worse than just being angry? Because they are God's people and is an indication of the same feelings toward God. If you cant love what you can see, your unable to love what you can't see. (See 1 John 4:20)

Murder can be done in a fit of passion and you can realize the error of your action... but a fixed and settled hatred, whether realized in murder or not, is different because when directed at God's people, it indicates your heart condition toward God.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

I agree and also think there are varying degrees of punishment:

And that servant who knew his master’s will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. - Luke 12:47​

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟36,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

1 John 5:16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I have heard all sins are equally bad in the eyes of God, since they all are enough to condemn us to damnation. But I believe sins have different severity.

Jesus explicitly told Pilate that the Pharisees' sin was greater than his, because they had committed themselves to a higher standard. At 1Cor 5 Paul describes the sin of the immoral brother as greater than what is even found in the world. And at 1Jn 5 John differentiates between sin leading unto death and those not.

All sin points to our sin nature, which is enough to keep us out of the Kingdom unless we are washed by the Lamb. But some sins are greater than others. And that implies various levels of punishment in the next life.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree and also think there are varying degrees of punishment:

And that servant who knew his master’s will but did not get ready or act according to his will, will receive a severe beating. But the one who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, will receive a light beating. - Luke 12:47​

Jesus explicitly told Pilate that the Pharisees' sin was greater than his, because they had committed themselves to a higher standard. At 1Cor 5 Paul describes the sin of the immoral brother as greater than what is even found in the world. And at 1Jn 5 John differentiates between sin leading unto death and those not.

All sin points to our sin nature, which is enough to keep us out of the Kingdom unless we are washed by the Lamb. But some sins are greater than others. And that implies various levels of punishment in the next life.

Do you think there is some kind of temporal punishment then for the elect, or is all punishment directed to the wicked?

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Do you think there is some kind of temporal punishment then for the elect, or is all punishment directed to the wicked?
That's a good question. That passage in Luke sure sounds to me like the elect, because they are servants of the master and are in the master's household.

Here's another one that sounds to me like the one of the elect being punished, from Matthew 24. Yikes:

Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. But if that wicked servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed,’ and begins to beat his fellow servants and eats and drinks with drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know and will cut him in pieces and put him with the hypocrites. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
When I read that passage I don't even want that job, because I don't think I'll do it well.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

I'm back
Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟676,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

In this the first two were judged by men, the last judged by God.

What sins we commit we may be forgiven of before God, but that doesn't necessarily clear our debt with man. A murderer still has to go before the judge, and serve his sentence regardless of his status before God.

Our sin before God is another matter, because if that not be cleared before God through the blood of Christ, then hellfire is the only judgement left.

This seems to indicate, hatred of God's people (and in turn of God) is a sin leading to death if there be no change in condition - and one to be wary of in ourselves.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
But I believe sins have different severity.
It's pretty obvious that chopping a child in half is not the same thing as doing work on a certain day that you're not supposed to.

Of course in a spiritual sense they're the exact same thing. Most of all sin is that which is missing the mark who is God. Since this is so all sins can be interpreted as having something to do with neglecting God, since they all describe incorrect paths to Union with God. in the same manner every jot and Tittle of the Bible speaks of being in communion with God, that's why only the Logos, the Son of God fulfills the law of God. He is the very Spirit of the Lord's mouth, and he is the bread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟46,421.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Luke Chapter 12 explains the different severity of sins
Sins of ignorance (lost sheep)
Sins of negligence (lost coin)
Planned sins (prodigal son)
Unloving/unforgiveness (angry brother)

The next tale of Shrewd Manager is one explaining how as humans we can't forgive completely but so long as we forgive everyone the same amount we are gold.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Punishment, no. Purification, yes. Even the name Purgatory implies purification, but the reality is that down the ages the punishment aspect has been stressed far more. I remember growing up being told that saying a certain prayer would get x number of years off a loved one in Purgatory. Seems rather outre.

Our spirits are in union with Holy Spirit, but our souls need work still. Some of that work will happen after death. But the context of the purification will be God's love. And Paul, in the same letter, describes it not in terms of long drawn-out years but of an instant.

Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. - 1Co 15:51-53​

Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In this the first two were judged by men, the last judged by God.

What sins we commit we may be forgiven of before God, but that doesn't necessarily clear our debt with man. A murderer still has to go before the judge, and serve his sentence regardless of his status before God.

Our sin before God is another matter, because if that not be cleared before God through the blood of Christ, then hellfire is the only judgement left.

This seems to indicate, hatred of God's people (and in turn of God) is a sin leading to death if there be no change in condition - and one to be wary of in ourselves.

Interesting perspective! First time I've heard it. I have to do some research on the passage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

zoidar

Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,129.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's pretty obvious that chopping a child in half is not the same thing as doing work on a certain day that you're not supposed to.

Of course in a spiritual sense they're the exact same thing. Most of all sin is that which is missing the mark who is God. Since this is so all sins can be interpreted as having something to do with neglecting God, since they all describe incorrect paths to Union with God. in the same manner every jot and Tittle of the Bible speaks of being in communion with God, that's why only the Logos, the Son of God fulfills the law of God. He is the very Spirit of the Lord's mouth, and he is the bread.

What about this story? How can it possibly be said the sin of the slave who denied his own slave forgiveness, would be equal to other sins in a spiritual sense?

“For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves. When he had begun to settle them, one who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him. But since he did not have the means to repay, his lord commanded him to be sold, along with his wife and children and all that he had, and repayment to be made. So the slave fell to the ground and prostrated himself before him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will repay you everything.’ And the lord of that slave felt compassion and released him and forgave him the debt. But that slave went out and found one of his fellow slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and he seized him and began to choke him, saying, ‘Pay back what you owe.’ So his fellow slave fell to the ground and began to plead with him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will repay you.’ But he was unwilling and went and threw him in prison until he should pay back what was owed. So when his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were deeply grieved and came and reported to their lord all that had happened. Then summoning him, his lord said to him, ‘You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?’ And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”
— Matthew 18:23-35

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What about this story? How can it possibly be said the sin of the slave who denied his own slave forgiveness, would be equal to other sins in a spiritual sense?

“For this reason the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his slaves. When he had begun to settle them, one who owed him ten thousand talents was brought to him. But since he did not have the means to repay, his lord commanded him to be sold, along with his wife and children and all that he had, and repayment to be made. So the slave fell to the ground and prostrated himself before him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will repay you everything.’ And the lord of that slave felt compassion and released him and forgave him the debt. But that slave went out and found one of his fellow slaves who owed him a hundred denarii; and he seized him and began to choke him, saying, ‘Pay back what you owe.’ So his fellow slave fell to the ground and began to plead with him, saying, ‘Have patience with me and I will repay you.’ But he was unwilling and went and threw him in prison until he should pay back what was owed. So when his fellow slaves saw what had happened, they were deeply grieved and came and reported to their lord all that had happened. Then summoning him, his lord said to him, ‘You wicked slave, I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. Should you not also have had mercy on your fellow slave, in the same way that I had mercy on you?’ And his lord, moved with anger, handed him over to the torturers until he should repay all that was owed him. My heavenly Father will also do the same to you, if each of you does not forgive his brother from your heart.”
— Matthew 18:23-35
God first treated him how he wanted to be treated and then afterwards God treated him how he treated others. In both cases God acted according to that man's own perceptions and will. Do unto others as you would to yourself.

Don't know how to compare one sin to another sometimes, when it comes to the spiritual meaning. God judges us according to our nature + our future concerning him drawing us closer to himself.

Let's see he carved a false image of God, making god into some kind of Beast. He did not rest on the Sabbath nor allow others to enter in. He murdered his fellow slave. He stole from his fellow slave and God. He lied to God to himself and his slave fellow. There are countless sins that he did. I listed but a few. He ate unclean food. He ate from the Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil. He didn't love God with all that he is.

Maybe the saying is true - if you fail in one part of the law you fail in all of it. After all, all the law and the prophets hang on the two Commandments. Or it means Christ is the law.

But there are different souls in different conditions, they are not all the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums