klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Is it wrong to be with someone who is divorced..
I know the scriptures about it..
That is one tough hurdle to jump. I take it to be the instruction of Jesus, so I cannot marry a divorced woman unless she qualifies.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,030.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Marrying a divorcee is not the unpardonable sin. It's not ideal and it can lead to difficult problems later in the relationship. I do not believe that God demands celibacy for anyone who has made bad choices. For those who are ready to jump all over me, consider King David. He was a polygamous, murderous adulterer. It took the truth from a prophet to bring to confess his sins. God forgave him. David should have been stoned to death twice over. Not only did God forgive David, but the son of the wrong relationship was the heir to the throne. If David could be restored and forgiven under OT law, why not Christians under the law of grace and truth? A word of warning though. A believer marrying an unbeliever is just stupid. I can vouch for that personally.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You know the scriptures about it, so you know it is adultery.

Jesus says anyone who leaves their spouse except for adultery (inappropriate contenteia) causes them to commit adultery. There is no reason for an exception if there is not the converse truth: anyone who leaves their spouse because of adultery does not commit adultery.

• Agree
Reactions: Nicholina
Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced

The scriptures aren't 100% clear, but it seems if it is a biblical divorce, the innocent spouse is free to remarry in my opinion. There are excellent and Godly biblical scholars who see differently so you will have to pray and ask the Lord for wisdom. The book of James tells you that if you ask for wisdom you will receive it.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟206,708.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This is one of those things for which there's no consensus. Some people will say definitely not while some will say that it's OK. But even if you end up coming to the latter conclusion it's important to understand the reason for the divorce to get an idea of any potential red flags.

• Agree
Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums