Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
First, I want to start out saying that I'm not suicidal or anything like that. I was just curious and pondering on the thought of why do people often think it's wrong if someone feels like they want to die. Don't majority of us here long to be together with the lord?

I often have feelings of not wanting to be here or feeling out of place in the world but the thought of being in heaven, with God, lost loved ones, without medical issues, aging, pain. All seem like very reasonable things that us Christians would look forward to.

Would love to hear your take.

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This verse is certainly not talking about suicide and no believer should desire such or promote it.
It is the genuine spirit desire to be with the Lord.

2 Corinthians 5:8
“We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.”

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,236,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
First, I want to start out saying that I'm not suicidal or anything like that. I was just curious and pondering on the thought of why do people often think it's wrong if someone feels like they want to die. Don't majority of us here long to be together with the lord?

I often have feelings of not wanting to be here or feeling out of place in the world but the thought of being in heaven, with God, lost loved ones, without medical issues, aging, pain. All seem like very reasonable things that us Christians would look forward to.

It's not wrong to want to die but it is wrong to kill yourself. They are two different things.

Upvote 0

EnterLight

Jan 20, 2022
Canton, MI
✟12,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's not wrong to want to die but it is wrong to kill yourself. They are two different things.

I was under the impression that it is or maybe a better way of describing that would be it's usually not socially acceptable for someone to feel that way. But maybe it could just be the lack of understanding others could have for longing the lord?

I am aware of distinguishing the difference and the reason I said I'm not suicidal is because there's often a misconception and people can easily make assumptions. Just clarifying that for readers.

Upvote 0

EnterLight

Jan 20, 2022
Canton, MI
✟12,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think that's most people.

Many do not accept the world as it is, and recognize it is beyond from perfect.

Fair enough but it still raises the question as to why such a feeling is made bad, wrong, socially unacceptable? Selfish attachment to this physical world and the ones around us? I do long to be with the lord over anything else. Nothing I'd ever take into my own hands I can only pray that the lord takes me swiftly and not too much pain in the transition with him. I just want to go home.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hvizsgyak
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,720.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I've felt the same since I became Christian at the age of 12.

All the injustices in the world and we Christians should choose to enjoy ourselves than even be concerned at the suffering of many is just one one of the wrongs. I think we live in an evil world and just want out.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The closer you get to the Lord the more grievous the world seems to you. It is just painful to live here. Only fellowship and love make life bearable in most cases. I am just sad sometimes.
I want that note of joy and peace in this life... but I also want to go home. I am tired sometimes and just want to go home. It is like I have been on a long trip to a faraway land. A land where I do not belong. Just want to go home.:disappointed:

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I am sure that many widows and widowers who were married for 40 or 50 or 60 years long to die, so they can see their loved ones again. Is it wrong, well, probably only if it becomes an obsession which harms one's health.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟352,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

You are very young and have barely lived your life. You will change your heart when you meet just the right person to share your life and love with. There is a world of difference between you and a person that has lived and loved and has fulfilled their life as far as wanting to be with the Lord. Loneliness can cause those feelings also. Do what you can to fulfill your life here on Earth, find a mate and live a long and happy life and then we'll accept the feelings you are having now, in 60 years or so. I looked your age up and it is not a healthy way for you to think. Your life has barely begun.
Talk to God about it.
God bless you and guide you.:)

• Friendly
Reactions: EnterLight
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was just curious and pondering on the thought of why do people often think it's wrong if someone feels like they want to die.

a relative in their 80s said he wanted to die often
he was in a lot of pain & had had several strokes
he could no longer walk & could barely eat
he went to long term care after another stroke

I think everyone was relieved for him when he did die and was no longer in pain

Upvote 0

EnterLight

Jan 20, 2022
Canton, MI
✟12,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You are very young and have barely lived your life. You will change your heart when you meet just the right person to share your life and love with. There is a world of difference between you and a person that has lived and loved and has fulfilled their life as far as wanting to be with the Lord. Loneliness can cause those feelings also. Do what you can to fulfill your life here on Earth, find a mate and live a long and happy life and then we'll accept the feelings you are having now, in 60 years or so. I looked your age up and it is not a healthy way for you to think. Your life has barely begun.
Talk to God about it.
God bless you and guide you.:)

I was often told even as a young child that I was an old soul. I feel like I have experienced alot in my life maybe not in the ways most would define. No kids, never married. I feel like the expansion of consciousness and perceptions have given me a sense of maturity that sometimes can be hard to be relatable or easy to discuss. I'm hoping that doesn't seem like a pretentious statement.

Ironically, I've always dated women older than me. Last gf being in her mid 30s who approached me! I do agree that loneliness could be a factor and I feel I will always be lonely until I'm reunited with the lord. It is he that can provide the unconditional love that more than often others will not. Its a kind sentiment but I've accepted to allow God to bring in the people who are good for me on his time whether its family, friend, significant other. a hard lesson I have learned when seeking the love from others and not knowing he is enough.

I am content continuing to do the best I can and enjoy this life how I can but knowing how good home can be is continuously captivating.

Oh, and thanks for the blessings. Truly appreciated.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes if we are to think about only ourselves it would be best to be with the Lord as soon as possible, but God has a reason for us to be here, each one of us has something to accomplish in God's plan. Maybe you are going to save someone's life some day and if you are not there that person will die and that person may have been the person to find the cure to cancer. I am just trying to make a point in this explanation, we do not know why we are here but God knows.

Upvote 0

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟141,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I've definitely told God that I'm ready when He is numerous times. But then I wake up and it's another day God made for me to part of.

Feeling sad has its place. We wouldn't appreciate the better moments without the worse ones. Also, sometimes we share our sadness with others and we find purpose in it that way. You have to be careful with emotions though. Emotions can cloud our vision. A person might decide they are miserable so it doesn't matter if they take drugs, gamble all the money they have, or do something else dangerous.

I think as much as possible we should try to focus on the positive, to find things we are grateful for, because the more we value our time on Earth the more likely we are to use it wisely.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,844.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The narrative of the world is without increase you die, the narrative of spirit is that without death, there is no increase ...

wanting to die in a physical sense is a shadow of a deeper truth ...

Reactions: EnterLight
Upvote 0

The Narrow Way

Master Herbalist
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Visit site
✟150,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I understand, @EnterLight, that you are not suicidal, and am very thankful to hear that. But I do believe that sadly, there are many who are, and that the track that the thought of "wanting to die" lies on is very close to the track of "suicide".

I'd like to share a post I made on FB several years ago in a similar discussion ~

Suicide ~ Lost or Saved?

This is not an easy subject to think about, let alone write about. But nonetheless, I believe it is a subject that all should think about, as there is hardly a one of us, myself included, who has not been tragically touched by the suicide of a family member or a friend, and perhaps there are even some now who are considering taking their own life, who will reconsider after reading this post...

What prompted me to write this is that I just read a blog on a Christian forum where the author was discussing this subject, and concluded that those who commit suicide could very well be saved.

Here are some statistics on suicide:

· Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the US

· Each year 42,773 Americans die by suicide

· For every suicide 25 attempt suicide

· Suicide costs the US $44 Billion annually
http://afsp.org/about-suicide/suicide-statistics/

The dictionary definition of MURDER is: “the crime of deliberately killing a person”.

The dictionary definition of SUICIDE is: “the act of killing yourself”

The ONLY difference between MURDER and SUICIDE is whether a person kills another person or kills themselves. SUICIDE is MURDER of oneself.

What does the Bible say about those who MURDER?

"But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death." Revelation 21:8.

There is no resurrection from “the second death.” No one, for whatever their sins might be, who ends up in the “lake of fire” will ever be taken to Heaven. No, I don’t believe the Bible teaches that people will “burn forever”. Thankfully, we don’t serve a God like that.

It’s not a happy thought, it’s not something that those of us who have lost a loved one to suicide wants to think, but it is the TRUTH, and it’s far better to know the TRUTH than to believe a LIE. And look at it from another angle…. If people actually believe that they will be saved if/when they commit suicide, do you think that that thought would encourage or discourage more suicides? I have no doubt, it would encourage people who are already discouraged and considering suicide. That is EXACTLY what the DEVIL wants, is for more people to give up and commit suicide, because he knows that when they do that, they are eternally lost.

Suicide is on the rise, and I believe it will continue to rise as this old world continues its downward spiral. I believe that having a REAL relationship with God, and knowing Jesus Christ as your Savior FROM sin is the ONLY ANSWER there is for many of the complex problems that people are facing today, that is causing so many to take their own lives.

If you need someone to talk to, send a message, I’ll pray for you and help you any way I can. Jesus is coming soon, don’t give up the fight!

Reactions: honestal
Upvote 0

honestal

Mar 27, 2021
Midwest
✟31,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi again EnterLight,

I'm not going to immediately address your question as to whether or not it's wrong to want to die. Instead, I'd like to address your (very common, but very wrong, and I believe, very dangerous :scratch:) understanding that when we die we go directly to be with the Lord.

Here's what Paul clearly teaches--in two different places. (Notice how he starts and finishes the first one):

“And now, brothers and sisters, I want you to know what will happen to the Christians who have died... Therefore comfort and encourage each other with these words.” {1 Thessalonians 4:13 & 18 NLT}

So, “what will happen to the Christians who have died?” And what are “these words” that we’re supposed to “comfort and encourage each other with?”

I can tell you this directly from the Lord: We who are still living when the Lord returns will not rise to meet him ahead of those who are in their graves. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God. First, all the Christians who have died will rise from their graves. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore comfort and encourage each other with these words.” {1 Thessalonians 4:15-18 NLT, NIV}

Clearly, Christians are resurrected, and go to "be with the Lord forever," at the second coming.

Now see how Paul teaches the exact same thing (in different words) to the Corinthian believers:

“Let me tell you a wonderful secret God has revealed to us. Not all of us will die, but we will all be transformed. It will happen in a moment, in the blinking of an eye, when the last trumpet is blown. For when the trumpet sounds, the Christians who have died will be raised.” {1 Corinthians 15:51, 52 NLT}

Jesus Himself teaches the same thing--three times in six verses:

“This is the will of God, that I should not lose even one of all those he has given me, but that I should raise them to eternal life AT THE LAST DAY.” {John 6:39 NLT}

“It is my Father’s will that all who see his Son and believe in him should have eternal life—that I should raise them AT THE LAST DAY.” {John 6:40 NLT}

“People can’t come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me, and AT THE LAST DAY I will raise them from the dead.” {John 6:44 NLT}

(I fear the devil can use the false belief that when Christians die they go directly to be with the Lord to push discouraged people into suicide.)

As for wanting to die: One of the greatest of all Christians, one of only two people that never died, once wanted to die:

"Then he (Elijah) went on alone into the wilderness, traveling all day. He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die." {1 Kings 19:4 NLT}

(Elijah was very tired and very discouraged--a bad combination.)

But... while it's not all that uncommon to want to die, and sometimes understandable :sigh:, I believe it's very wrong to commit suicide.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

While life in Heaven will certainly be better than my life on Earth could ever be, there are problems with wanting to die.
  • I would be leaving behind aggrieved family members.
  • There are some good things in this life which cannot be done in Heaven, which I would never be able to do either for the first time, or ever again.
  • Waiting for death is a living death.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,475.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don’t contemplate death or long to be with God. He appointed me to this time for a reason. That’s my focus. When He wants me home He’ll call me. There’s no need to dwell on it.

Loneliness, sorrow, and discontent can inspire this line of thought in some.

~bella

Upvote 0