Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
If drug users 'facilitate' drug production and sales, doesn't treatment also facilitate the continued use of drugs?

I'd say no. Because treatment treats addiction as a problem to be solved, rather than a bad person to be put in the bad person box. As far as I know, countries which decriminalize drugs tends to seen a reduction in drug use. Maybe helping people is better than demonizing them.

I assume you meant the sentence to read like the above? ( I changed it)

Isn't Narcan the heroin dealers best friend as it saves the lives of their customers, who will no doubt continue to buy heroin from them?

That seems to imply that drug takers should be left to die. To me that seems quite cold... and not very Christian.

So shouldn't we put a stop to the drug epidemic by allowing addicts to just 'use' until they see the light, or kill themselves with their drugs?

Again, I'm not Christian, but there seems to be no love, mercy, or grace in this.

How much time, money, and heartache should we toss down the black hole of drug addiction treatment?

How much money will be wasted on the drug war? Maybe treat it as an illness.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
[
I'd say no. Because treatment treats addiction as a problem to be solved, rather than a bad person to be put in the bad person box. As far as I know, countries which decriminalize drugs tends to seen a reduction in drug use. Maybe helping people is better than demonizing them.

I agree. All drugs should be decriminalized.

That seems to imply that drug takers should be left to die. To me that seems quite cold... and not very Christian.

True Christians don't get involved in the national drug problem ("Come out of her, my people......"). We can have our opinions however.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Great responses, thanks. They indicate that we have all the money and resources needed to solve our national addiction problem. When we've conquered the drug problem we can start on obesity.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And what does this mean to you?

It means that God won't tolerate certain behaviors in the Church. If a fornicator is to be cast out can a drug dealer or addict be far behind?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Really??

Alcohol and tobacco use is far more costly in dollars and lives.

Going to stop treatment for those people too?

We should take a hard look at our progress with those substances, and apply what we've learned to the drug problem, to wit: A determined user won't be denied or rehabilitated, period. As soon as this truth sinks in we can get out of the way of their slow suicide and get on with more important issues.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So shouldn't we put a stop to the drug epidemic by allowing addicts to just 'use' until they see the light, or kill themselves with their drugs? How much time, money, and heartache should we toss down the black hole of drug addiction treatment?

We are not barbarians. We are a civilized, scientifically literate society. Substance addiction is an illness--a disorder of neuronal receptors and neurotransmitters. Would you think treatment for lung cancer, or COPD related to smoking should be limited because these are diseases also caused by lifestyle factors? It is true that the addiction treatment we now have can be costly, and is of inconsistent effectiveness. But we are just beginning to learn the neurophysiologic changes that occur in chemical dependency. If we are ever to develop more effective and economical methods of treatment, these patients must be evaluated, and their needs attended to as thoroughly, and as humanely as possible. Not to mention, what we learn about the pathophysiology of substance abuse may help us understand other illnesses, such as mood disorders and degenerative neurologic diseases (like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.) But we will never learn anything, and we will debase our society if we just throw these people away.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We are not barbarians. We are a civilized, scientifically literate society. Substance addiction is an illness--a disorder of neuronal receptors and neurotransmitters. Would you think treatment for lung cancer, or COPD related to smoking should be limited because these are diseases also caused by lifestyle factors? It is true that the addiction treatment we now have can be costly, and is of inconsistent effectiveness. But we are just beginning to learn the neurophysiologic changes that occur in chemical dependency. If we are ever to develop more effective and economical methods of treatment, these patients must be evaluated, and their needs attended to as thoroughly, and as humanely as possible. Not to mention, what we learn about the pathophysiology of substance abuse may help us understand other illnesses, such as mood disorders and degenerative neurologic diseases (like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.) But we will never learn anything, and we will debase our society if we just throw these people away.

I don't hold our society in the same high regard that you do. Perhaps this is because I deal with more people, and a wider variety of people, than most. I'm like a cop in that I see more bad than good happening all around me.

I think the medical business is going to milk the problem for all it's worth without making any progress in stopping it. Just look at heart disease and obesity, both cash cows for the medical industry. While there are expensive treatments there are no effective prevention programs. Why not spend some of the treatment money on prevention?

So your answer to the question is yes, we do have the time, money, and heartache to expend on those who continually inflict needless harm upon themselves and others?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We should take a hard look at our progress with those substances, and apply what we've learned to the drug problem, to wit: A determined user won't be denied or rehabilitated, period. As soon as this truth sinks in we can get out of the way of their slow suicide and get on with more important issues.

Oh yes...and let's deny the diabetic any aid, because of his "slow suicide" of a sugary diet.

And let's deny the cardiac patient who didn't exercise enough. Surely his inactivity is also "slow suicide"...?

Let's see how many others we can add to your compassionate list...

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Oh yes...and let's deny the diabetic any aid, because of his "slow suicide" of a sugary diet.

And let's deny the cardiac patient who didn't exercise enough. Surely his inactivity is also "slow suicide"...?

Let's see how many others we can add to your compassionate list...

We should help those who honestly seek help and are willing to commit to one of my rehab camps. Most don't and won't. Those are the ones I'm addressing. Picture yourself running down the street with the cure for someone who is running just as fast to get away from you. Stop running I say.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It means that God won't tolerate certain behaviors in the Church. If a fornicator is to be cast out can a drug dealer or addict be far behind?

Just my opinion, but I think a whole lot of Christians, would disagree with how Jesus would respond to this.

• Agree
Reactions: Allandavid
Upvote 0

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
We should help those who honestly seek help and are willing to commit to one of my rehab camps. Most don't and won't. Those are the ones I'm addressing. Picture yourself running down the street with the cure for someone who is running just as fast to get away from you. Stop running I say.

I don't think anyone was suggesting some form of 'forced' treatment for any of these ailments. Obviously a person must be seeking help. But you seem very eager to deny them.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't think anyone was suggesting some form of 'forced' treatment for any of these ailments. Obviously a person must be seeking help. But you seem very eager to deny them.

Of course we should help those who seek help, but once having asked for help they must submit to caregivers, or hit the road. Those that don't want help are on their own. Why waste time, money, and heartache on them? They are a sinkhole of needs that we cannot possibly fill.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Just my opinion, but I think a whole lot of Christians, would disagree with how Jesus would respond to this.

Most 'Christians' still think Jesus had long hair and looked like an Englishman. :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Allandavid

Dec 30, 2016
Sydney
✟230,565.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course we should help those who seek help, but once having asked for help they must submit to caregivers, or hit the road. Those that don't want help are on their own. Why waste time, money, and heartache on them? They are a sinkhole of needs that we cannot possibly fill.

Now you make no sense. All you have done here is state the obvious.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So shouldn't we put a stop to the drug epidemic by allowing addicts to just 'use' until they see the light, or kill themselves with their drugs? How much time, money, and heartache should we toss down the black hole of drug addiction treatment?
People were destroying their lives and dying from drug addiction before people started treating them. Therefore, this would never work.

Upvote 0