St. Louis, MO.
✟373,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Of course, it is wrong. But we don't live in a perfect world. Sometimes wars are fought. Innocent persons may be killed. But it's still wrong, in a moral sense. Even if the reason for going to to war might be just, i.e, self-defense against an agressor, if innocents are killed, some attempt at restitution or compensation should be made, if at all possible.

Upvote 0

ChristianCenturion

Veteran / Tuebor
Feb 9, 2005
In front of a computer
✟32,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ninja Turtles said:
Is it wrong to kill innocent people?

Too generalized.

Is it wrong for a substantially lesser quantity of people to place their lives above the eminent detriment of the substantially greater quantity of people?

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
sanaa said:
what kind of system?
I'll leave it up to you decide. Let's say you have a system in war, where it involves control of regions where you must kill some innocents to maintain dominance and control of the region from the enemy.

It can be any system you want from implementing a system to a government system.

Upvote 0

coyoteBR

greetings
Jan 18, 2004
✟2,288.00
Faith
I suppose you are talking about human systems; to the rest of fauna and flora those do not apply:

1 - yes, it is wrong to kill inocents. And, like Allister said, it's wrong to kill anyone.

2 - If a system has to kill inocents in order to survive, the vality of such system is very, very, very questionable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ninja Turtles said:
Here's a followup question: is it wrong to kill innocent people to maintain a system?
I guess innocent should be defined.

Are they innocent from the point of view of those trying to maintain the system?
In this sense yes, it's morally wrong.

Are they innocent from a third parties perspective? Well then it's questionable.. as the acting party might view the "innocents" as passively complicit... and not innocent at all.

Upvote 0

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ninja Turtles said:
What about the killing of innocents when it is unintended, as in a war (example)?

I'l keep asking short little questions. :thumbsup:
Then you bring into question negligence.
This could be as specific as attacking or not attacking a target.... or as broad as whether we should've gone to war in the first place because the overall risk of innocent life was to great...

So while the individual act of losing an innocent life is immoral, it doesn't necessarily render the action that caused it as such unless there is a question of negligance.

Upvote 0

Ninja Turtles

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Jan 18, 2005
✟3,971.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
levi501 said:
I guess innocent should be defined.

Are they innocent from the point of view of those trying to maintain the system?
In this sense yes, it's morally wrong.

Are they innocent from a third parties perspective? Well then it's questionable.. as the acting party might view the "innocents" as passively complicit... and not innocent at all.
I mean as in innocent like death penalty innocent where one would continue to maintain the system despite thet fact that they know of several innocent people killed through the system (some after the fact, others before).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

levi501

Senior Veteran
Apr 19, 2004
✟19,690.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ninja Turtles said:
I mean as in innocent like death penalty innocent where one would continue to maintain the system despite thet fact that they know of several innocent people killed through the system (some after the fact, others before).
no, it's immoral when there are more efficient alternatives where innocent life isn't at risk.

Upvote 0

Donut Hole

Mar 21, 2005
Merica
✟8,025.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Democrat
dkara said:
Yes, it is wrong.

**Period. End of statement. No rationalization, no butts**

It's 1917. You are a British/French/American Sniper. You have Lance Corporal Adolf Hitler in your sites. You know that if you don't shoot him, he will survive the war, go on to start World War II, which will kill millions of people, and enact the holocaust. You further know that if you do shoot him, there will be no World War II, no Nazi Germany, and millions fewer people will die in the 20th century. You have a clear shot.

Do you take it?

Upvote 0