Is it wrong to keep more of what you earn than the government says you can?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Even if we accept that taxation is theft, Jesus was pretty explicit about how to react when someone steals from you.

Luke 6:29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

And so it was -- how fortunate that our Founding Fathers weren't quite as Biblically motivated as today's Conservatives would like us to believe.

Actually, they were more biblically motivated than you want to believe TLK Valentine. Before the Colonists resorted to open rebellion, they actually attempted to appeal to the crown about their grievances. So the colonists didn't just wake up one day and decide to rebel, they tried to have the issues addressed in a responsible manner (which I think was also under English law) and were essentially laughed at.

The fact you can see the Founders were motivated by the Bible is demonstrated by the Declaration of Independence.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, they were more biblically motivated than you want to believe TLK Valentine. Before the Colonists resorted to open rebellion, they actually attempted to appeal to the crown about their grievances. So the colonists didn't just wake up one day and decide to rebel, they tried to have the issues addressed in a responsible manner (which I think was also under English law) and were essentially laughed at.

I never suggested otherwise -- but where in the Bible are the rules for rebelling against a God-ordained government?

The fact you can see the Founders were motivated by the Bible is demonstrated by the Declaration of Independence.

The truth that a bad government should be overthrown is self-evident, but not Biblically mandated.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I never suggested otherwise -- but where in the Bible are the rules for rebelling against a God-ordained government?

The Catholic Church at the time would have disagreed with your statement that the English Monarch was god-ordained...

The truth that a bad government should be overthrown is self-evident, but not Biblically mandated.

Part of the issue was the fact the English were treating the colonists as noncitizens. Many countries that overthrow their government tend to collapse, we were very lucky that we were able to put together a working government.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The Catholic Church at the time would have disagreed with your statement that the English Monarch was god-ordained...

And the Anglican Church would've agreed.

Part of the issue was the fact the English were treating the colonists as noncitizens.

Biblically irrelevant.

Many countries that overthrow their government tend to collapse, we were very lucky that we were able to put together a working government.

Still Biblically irrelevant.

Upvote 0

GarfieldJL

Dec 10, 2012
✟26,292.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And the Anglican Church would've agreed.

Quite a few colonists were not a part of the Anglican Church, putting it mildly.

Biblically irrelevant.

Actually it kinda is considering the colonists considered themselves to be citizens of England at the time.

However there is a key thing you are missing that made England different from other European Countries at the time.

Still Biblically irrelevant.

Does the Magna Carta mean anything to you...

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Quite a few colonists were not a part of the Anglican Church, putting it mildly.

How many of them were Catholic? And what difference would it make anyway?

The issue is what the Bible says, not which denomination is willing to excuse it.

Actually it kinda is considering the colonists considered themselves to be citizens of England at the time.

They may not have thought of themselves as British subjects, but they still were.

However there is a key thing you are missing that made England different from other European Countries at the time.

Does the Magna Carta mean anything to you...

Does it mean anything to the Bible?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.