Is it wrong to change the bible's words to a more simpler form??

Animelover93

Jun 15, 2020
Columbus Ohio
✟21,151.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
For example, Psalm 25:8-9 (ESV) says "Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in the way. He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way."
Would it be wrong of me to change it to this?
The Lord is good and upright, and he teaches sinners to be the same way. He leads them to do right and teaches them to be as humble as he is"

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
For example, Psalm 25:8-9 (ESV) says "Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in the way. He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way."

Some other translations are:

CSB: The Lord is good and upright; therefore he shows sinners the way. He leads the humble in what is right
and teaches them his way.

NIV: Good and upright is the Lord; therefore he instructs sinners in his ways. He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them his way.

NLT: The Lord is good and does what is right; he shows the proper path to those who go astray. He leads the humble in doing right, teaching them his way.

Good News: Because the Lord is righteous and good, he teaches sinners the path they should follow. He leads the humble in the right way and teaches them his will.

I would strongly encourage the use of an easier-to-read translation, rather than just "making something up." Even the Good News simplifies too much for my taste.

The Lord is good and upright, and he teaches sinners to be the same way. He leads them to do right and teaches them to be as humble as he is"

I think that that changes the meaning of the passage quite dramatically. Yes, it would be very wrong.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think it wise to compare translations ... if something don't "set right" with me then I use the Greek and Hebrew lexicons ... often this helps to clarify things ... beyond that I pray the Lord will bring me understanding through His Holy Spirit.

a handy free online resource

www.biblehub.com

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... if something don't "set right" with me then I use the Greek and Hebrew lexicons

If you actually have genuine Greek and/or Hebrew expertise, you can indeed make your own translation.

Otherwise, it's better to pick on of the existing translations, of which there are many.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟721,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If you actually have genuine Greek and/or Hebrew expertise, you can indeed make your own translation.

Otherwise, it's better to pick on of the existing translations, of which there are many.

Even so ... the lexicons do help ... I compare translations as well as use the lexicons. We live in a wonderful age where this is easily done.

• Friendly
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even so ... the lexicons do help ... I compare translations as well as use the lexicons. We live in a wonderful age where this is easily done.

That's nice.

I do note, however, that using the lexicons without knowing enough about the language can be very deceptive at times.

That said, they may give you enough information to pick one particular English translation (the CSB, say) as your preferred one for a particular passage.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Putting God's words in your own words can be good and bad it really depends on several things such as what final meaning comes of it, are you trying to use the bible to support a preconceived idea or not, and does it affect vital doctrine or not.
I've read the bible several times but my memory is not such to quote exact scripture from a translation of the Bible when I'm talking to people I can reference things that happened and relate it to others in my own words. As long as I am true to what was said and happened and the point made is true to the events but not exact then I believe it is fine. If you see a woman in a green dress pick up a red and yellow tulip and give it to her daughter whose eyes light up and she giggles and you tell someone that today I saw a lady give a flower to her child and she laughed then what happened is presented well enough if neither of you knew the woman or the daughter as the minor details are not overall important. You have to be careful however to not change words that would allow someone to infer something that didn't happen like saying the woman was scantily dressed and the child laughed at her clothing and leaving out the flower altogether.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's fine as long as you call it a paraphrase and not Scripture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Why do you want to do this, what is the purpose?
If you are talking or preaching one can reword scripture, so long as one retains the essential meaning to help understanding.
If you are trying to rewrite the Bible then it is not a good idea.

As others have said, check out all the various translation etc, it costs nothing to look in Bible gateway and they have nearly 50 translations available.

Upvote 0

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Not unless you’re doing it with bad intentions. Like the Passion translation, the message, does.
I quote scripture from memory a lot, of course I don’t remember Word to Word.
FYI, I use NASB (New American Standard Bible.) which is very accurate and easy to read. I occasionally change a few words when speaking to children as it’s easier.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not unless you’re doing it with bad intentions. Like the Passion translation, the message, does.

Eugene Peterson's The Message was certainly put together with very good intentions. And in places, he's produced a good translation, based solidly on the original Greek and Hebrew. In other places, sadly, he's produced a paraphrase that says something different from what the Bible says.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I vacillate on this. Back in my evangelical days, I kind of enjoyed the NLT Bible. It's written on something like a 6th or 7th grade level. And since I was so new to the faith, I thought that would benefit me.

Iron sharpens iron. I compared the NLT to things like NASB or even NIV and found the NLT wanting in almost every case.

So, it may be that a more simplified edition of the Bible might be useful to n00b Christians but perhaps it's something we all outgrow? Maybe we have to start easy and then find something better as we mature? Tough to say.

I don't see a moral issue going on here. But there is a question of long term reliability of simplified translations. For me, it just didn't make sense anymore after a certain point to stick with the NLT. But the last thing I would do is criticize someone else for using an easy translation.

Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Eugene Peterson's The Message was certainly put together with very good intentions. And in places, he's produced a good translation, based solidly on the original Greek and Hebrew. In other places, sadly, he's produced a paraphrase that says something different from what the Bible says.
True, I suppose. He sounds like a nice person, I don’t know very much of his theology, though.
I’ve heard he says he cringes at his own translation when it’s being read lol. (Quote from Mike Winger)
Only one verse I like from “The Message”.
I do believe The Passion Translation preaches a different gospel, and to be honest, I’m 99% sure the translator had that intended.(haven’t researched it much.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Hebrew word translated "in the way" is derek. It means "the way" : the course of life, the right road, the best choice in which to make the journey.

While your suggestion "in the same way".. is already covered in the next part of that verse. "He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way." The text is what Jesus said in Mat.11:29 "Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart." [30] "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Hebrew word in Psalm 25:8 is translated "in the way" is derek. It means "the way", the right road to take, the best choice for the journey.

With your suggestion to change "in the way" to "to be the same way".. Then it reads (in isolation of that one sentence) that the Lord is good and upright because he teaches the sinners to be the same way that they are and not change.

At least there is the risk of conveying that thought.

Verse 9 already covers what you try to convey by using "teaches sinners to be the same way."

"He leads the humble in what is right, and teaches the humble his way."

That connects with Mat.11:29 "Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me for I am gentle and humble in heart." [30] "For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light."

Psalm 25:10 And when we obey him, every path he guides us on is fragrant with his loving-kindness and his truth.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I’ve heard he says he cringes at his own translation when it’s being read lol. (Quote from Mike Winger)

Eugene Peterson died 2 years ago.

If I recall correctly, his "cringe" comment related to hearing The Message read out in church. He had intended it to go hand-in-hand with a more traditional translation.

Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Eugene Peterson died 2 years ago.

If I recall correctly, his "cringe" comment related to hearing The Message read out in church. He had intended it to go hand-in-hand with a more traditional translation.
Wow, I did not know that.
May he Rest In Peace.
Yes, that was the comment I was referring too.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Iron sharpens iron. I compared the NLT to things like NASB or even NIV and found the NLT wanting in almost every case.

I have recommended the NLT here on CF for two groups of people: (1) children, and (2) those with reading difficulties (who find other translations too hard).

The NLT remains a very good Bible for those two groups. As I said earlier, the NLT is better and more accurate than trying to "simplify" some other English translation on your own.

Upvote 0