Is it wrong to assume someone's salvation?

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I do feel annoyed when others do it. It's one thing to say that something being done is wrong, but to then use that to declare that they are currently in a hell-bound state seems arrogant. God is a perfect judge that humans cannot be.

Reactions: Christie insb

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I do feel annoyed when others do it. It's one thing to say that something being done is wrong, but to then use that to declare that they are currently in a hell-bound state seems arrogant. God is a perfect judge that humans cannot be.
It is not for us to presume to know the state of someone else's heart. However, we are called to correct one another when someone is in error. With gentleness and respect. And, that includes correcting the error of presuming the state of someone else's heart.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
If anyone professes Christian faith, I always give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is not wrong....just unwise. But most assume that it is only wrong to send someone to hell.....but I feel that sending someone to heaven is much worse.... no one knows the heart. Would be a shame to make one believe they are doing and have done enough just to have them hear "depart" when it is too late. IF you are going to send me somewhere....I'd rather it be hell.....never want to feel that I've made it till I've passed through the gates......When I do...I'll come back to this forum and tell you guys all about it.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thing is, who knows exactly when God considers one to have gone to far and lost their salvation? We might have an idea when if we are close enough to them but no one can know that exactly.

It may be appropriate to tell them you are concerned about their salvation, but even then, you have to know you can get away with that first, some might welcome it, while others, not so much.

Maybe some presentations when doing that are better than others. We hate to say anything because we know how we might take it, yet we'd hate to think that if we had said something it could have prevented a worse case scenario.

Touchy situation.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

is this post meant to ask or to state?

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It is not wrong....just unwise. But most assume that it is only wrong to send someone to hell.....but I feel that sending someone to heaven is much worse.... no one knows the heart. Would be a shame to make one believe they are doing and have done enough just to have them hear "depart" when it is too late. IF you are going to send me somewhere....I'd rather it be hell.....never want to feel that I've made it till I've passed through the gates......When I do...I'll come back to this forum and tell you guys all about it.
Sending someone to heaven or hell sounds like dodgy theology to me.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,604.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Paul says at the beginning of 1 Corinthians that he does not allow anyone to judge him, and in fact, he does not even judge himself, but leaves the judgment to His Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jackson Cooper

Sep 18, 2017
Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
yes, we do not know the ultimate state of anyone's soul, since we can often see sin but not repentance.
An Orthodox monk told me I was hell-bound. Very strange.
My priest told me that we are not to assume other's salvation, but I didn't know if all Orthodox felt that way.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
An Orthodox monk told me I was hell-bound. Very strange.
My priest told me that we are not to assume other's salvation, but I didn't know if all Orthodox felt that way.

that's odd. you sure it was an Orthodox monk? most monastics only look to their own lack before God.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums