Is it wrong that I don’t care what the reason for a problem is, I only care about the effect?

Questioning Brother

Apr 29, 2014
✟77,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have problems going on in my life. In asking for advice on here many lapse into talking about the reason things are happening. To me, that is the least important part. I don’t care if it is a trial, chastening, God withholding a blessing, or the Devil attacking (or whatever else the problem is attributed to) the effect is EXACTLY the same. I just want it fixed regardless of the cause. I care about the effect, not the cause.

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just want it fixed regardless of the cause. I care about the effect, not the cause.
You can't properly deal with the effect if you don't correctly identify its cause.

Suppose your house is falling apart.
  • If you are setting off M80s inside your house, stop. And go about making repairs.
  • If your utilities are turned off, re-order your financial priorities. And seek aid.
  • If you have a termite infestation, spray for termites. And make repairs.
  • If you have a neighbor who likes to vandalize your house, call the police. And make repairs.
  • If a tornado blew your house down, find out what God wants you to do next, and where He wants you to go.
  • If it is a trial (like Job), you must cling to Him until the trial is over, either in this life or the next. And pray that He would sustain you. (Local-church group prayer helps with that.)
If you can't be bothered by anything as trivial as a cause for your hardships, just sit on your hands and keep waiting for it to somehow "blow over" (and accuse God, if it doesn't).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have problems going on in my life. In asking for advice on here many lapse into talking about the reason things are happening. To me, that is the least important part. I don’t care if it is a trial, chastening, God withholding a blessing, or the Devil attacking (or whatever else the problem is attributed to) the effect is EXACTLY the same. I just want it fixed regardless of the cause. I care about the effect, not the cause.

brother,
don’t be snared by the devil into thinking that the cross that you bear is too heavy. The Lord Jesus Christ has bore the cross first whether it is too heavy. For the Lord gives strength to His people and this is what we have heard:

May the LORD give strength to his people! May the LORD bless his people with peace! -Psalms 29:11

The LORD is the strength of his people; he is the saving refuge of his anointed. -Psalms 28:8

The LORD is a stronghold for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble. -Psalms 9:9
And those who know your name put their trust in you, for you, O LORD, have not forsaken those who seek you. -Psalms 9:10

Seek the Lord !

This is also what we have heard:

25 The LORD is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. 26 It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the LORD. 27 It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth.

28 Let him sit alone in silence when it is laid on him; 29 let him put his mouth in the dust— there may yet be hope; 30 let him give his cheek to the one who strikes, and let him be filled with insults.

31 For the Lord will not cast off forever,32 but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; 33 for he does not afflict from his heart or grieve the children of men.

May you seek the steadfast love of the Lord and understand Him and find comfort in His love.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Often times have to build away from the cause before we can escape its effect.

Sometimes bad things befall us only for us to go to Christ for help. Fight the good fight and build with God's promises. For those who sow in tears will reap with songs of joy Scripture teaches us.

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
If you do not know the cause, you will be unlikely to be set free from the effect. It's like an illness. Treating a brain tumour with aspirin because the tumour gives you a headache is pointless. You may get a little relief if you have stronger painkillers. But it won't cure the underlying problem. Things don't just go away, no matter how much you wish they would. I had pancreatitis recently. I started treating it with Mylanta because it was like severe indigestion. It was useless and I ended up in hospital for 8 days. I'm fine now. Pancreatitis is serious and can be fatal. No amount of Mylanta was going to fix it.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

(2Co 13:5) Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

(Hag 1:5) Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.
(Hag 1:6) Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.
(Hag 1:7) Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.

(Psa 50:23) Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.

Reactions: Macchiato
Upvote 0

Joni Steele

Oct 30, 2020
Western Indiana
✟18,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you mean that you would like to stop making excuses for the problems and would like to take action to solve them I'm with you. Unfortunately, as someone like Job discovered when his " friends" tried to advise him, people are people at best. Take your issues to God in prayer. Pray for wisdom and discernment. He will guide your steps.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you neglect to discern the cause of your challenges you're bound to repeat them. It may not return in the same guise but you'll see it in another. Why torture yourself? Learn the lesson the first time and go from there.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums