Is It Weird To Ask To Meet With A Pastor One on One?

nb408

Mar 20, 2013
✟25,931.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I really want to get to know God and get solid advice on what I'm supposed to do right now. I know my pastor is trustworthy, he doesn't know me very well. But I feel like God wants me to meet with him. I'm thinking about emailing the church and asking if I can meet with the pastor. I just want to know if this is normal or not? I have a lot on my plate..

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟332,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yup, it's completely normal to meet with your pastor. One of the best things that pastors do is counsel their parishioners in one-to-one sessions.

I suppose it may depend a bit on how big your church is. In the really large churches (say, 1000+ members), it's probably hard for the pastor to know all the parishioners -- which is one of the difficulties with big churches. But in smaller churches, at least, good pastors have conversations with their parishioners all the time. Go ahead and email your pastor. That's what he's there for.

Upvote 0

maintenance man

Supporter
Sep 29, 2018
California
Visit site
✟477,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just want to know if this is normal or not?

It depends on your church. If your church is very large the pastor may get too many request to be able to respond to them all.

The church I attend is about 1,500 and our pastor does schedule meetings with members.

Also, at my church, we have other pastors who may be better able to help in certain situations.

Yes, send an email to your church office and ask. That's perfectly normal.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,916,068.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Is It Weird To Ask To Meet With A Pastor One on One?
Nope, it's a normal thing to do :)

--David

Hebrews 13
17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.

• Agree
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

whereloveandmercymeet

There but for the grace of God...
Nov 12, 2018
Dorset
✟117,670.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I semi regularly have coffee with my vicar for a bit of spiritual counselling. He happily does it for anyone in the hutch that asks. I’m sure your pastor would be happy to do the same for you.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I really want to get to know God and get solid advice on what I'm supposed to do right now. I know my pastor is trustworthy, he doesn't know me very well. But I feel like God wants me to meet with him. I'm thinking about emailing the church and asking if I can meet with the pastor. I just want to know if this is normal or not? I have a lot on my plate..

Yes, make sure its in his office during appropriate hours.

Upvote 0

AshAnn

Praise God !
Nov 30, 2018
C-NY
✟22,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is absolutely normal!! in my particular church it is very large so our pastors are sectioned off by region but they will also refer to other pastors. Especially if there’s a specific need that they feel can be met through a different person on the pastoral team. Also I just would really like to point out if you believe that God is pointing you in the direction to do it, that really is all of the validation you need ❤️ I have done some really “strange” things because I felt led Such as say something specific to someone I don’t know or as a new believer actually raise my hands in worship which I’m sure sounds really funny. BUT when I ignored it .. the feelings were far worse then the fear of embarrassment. I wish you the best and sending Prayers

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums