Is it true that Moses can survive without food and water for 40 days?

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,177,984.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A relative of mine fasted without solid food for 40 days, but I really don’t reccommend it.
Studies have shown that the human body can go without food for 40 days without harm, as long as you are drinking water.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Surviving without food for 40 days is certainly possible, but a human being can only go without drinking for about 4 days or so. So if Moses didn't drink anything for 40 days - it would a require a miracle to survive that.

AFAIK there is no mention of Jesus not drinking for 40 days; only fasting (food).
You mean because at the end of His fast it says "He hungered" but not He thirsted?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Could be that he didn't eat or drink anything from the time he started writing on the tablets until he finished.

I've repented of my lack of faith for this miracle.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Studies have shown that the human body can go without food for 40 days without harm, as long as you are drinking water.
I went a little over 40 days. Its quite easy actually. 99% of the problem is in our own mind. Of course you have little energy so don't expect to be heaving logs around all day. What does happen is your mind becomes very sensitive and your memory much more heightened. Many people can recall things they never could, like from early childhood. This happens after a few days of water fasting. But you don't recall the bad stuff, only the good stuff. Its like you are there again playing these videos in your mind. Its eerie and certainly an experience no one can ever forget for the rest of your life. I know I won't. The key is to consume enough room temperature water: About 2 liters/quarts a day. This is where almost everyone fails. They don't see the signs of dehydration. This also stops hunger pangs as that is caused merely by your stomach shrinking. So hunger is never an issue. Psychological hunger or missing eating at certain times of the day....that is hard for some when first fasting. Later its a breeze.
I've repented of my lack of faith for this miracle.
Is there any indication in scripture that this was a miracle other than we've never heard of anyone going without water for more than a few days in modern times and it would have to be for him to have survived without water? When water fasting you can't go more than a few hours without a water supply without feeling awful! I can't imagine doing it even for a couple of days without water. It would be torture. Then death....lol. It wouldn't matter how hydrated you were in the beginning. The body needs water, period. Perhaps back then it was obvious it was a miracle so it wasn't even mentioned. Maybe it was assumed we'd understand the meaning of the words and their relevance.

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
ZH
✟70,439.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You mean because at the end of His fast it says "He hungered" but not He thirsted?
Yes, that is at least one strong indication; otherwise the thirst would have been much more urgent and mentioned first.

Nowadays, a Jewish Yom Kippur fast also includes not drinking water.

Btw Luke 5:33 seems to indicate fasting may include not drinking water:

And they said to Him, “The disciples of John often fast and offer prayers, the disciples of the Pharisees also do the same, but Yours eat and drink.”​
Just FYI :)

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is there any indication in scripture that this was a miracle other than we've never heard of anyone going without water for more than a few days in modern times and it would have to be for him to have survived without water? When water fasting you can't go more than a few hours without a water supply without feeling awful! I can't imagine doing it even for a couple of days without water. It would be torture. Then death....lol. It wouldn't matter how hydrated you were in the beginning. The body needs water, period. Perhaps back then it was obvious it was a miracle so it wasn't even mentioned. Maybe it was assumed we'd understand the meaning of the words and their relevance.

What is the purpose of quoting my post and saying this?

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, that is at least one strong indication; otherwise the thirst would have been much more urgent and mentioned first.

Nowadays, a Jewish Yom Kippur fast also includes not drinking water.

Btw Luke 5:33 seems to indicate fasting may include not drinking water:

And they said to Him, “The disciples of John often fast and offer prayers, the disciples of the Pharisees also do the same, but Yours eat and drink.”​
Just FYI :)
> Nowadays, a Jewish Yom Kippur fast also includes not drinking water.

This doesn't seem to be grounded in the Bible as is so much Judaic tradition. So what does it even matter? A bunch of error prone individuals write the Talmud and they almost worship it forgetting the real source: The Bible.

> Btw Luke 5:33 seems to indicate fasting may include not drinking water

Luke 5:33 NKJV Then they said to Him, “Why do the disciples of John fast often and make prayers, and likewise those of the Pharisees, but Yours eat and drink?”

It could mean they didn't eat or drink but it doesn't say for how long. If you don't consume much salt so you're well hydrated and consume a lot of water beforehand one could go most of the day quite comfortably. But more than 12 hours would be tough for most people. You just feel awful and it gets worse and worse.

Also "eat and drink" could refer to drinking as nourishment or recreation or any number of things. Context is crucial and we simply don't know it 100% now. When used together (eat and drink) its quite different than saying "they don't drink anything when they fast". Very few people claim that dry fasting works. And most are clearly frauds just trying to post things that will garner more views because they seem unusual or sensational. Conspiracists do this incessantly on their trashy websites. The more ludicrous the claim the more views they get, the more ads they get, the more sponsers they get, the more money they make. So they are basically paid to lie. Look at Alex Jones. He made a LOT of money peddling utter rubbish. 100's of millions. That kind of money and the reverement that often accompanies it seduces a lot of people and they are very reluctant to let any of it go. Its just another way Satan ensnares us with riches. But, as usual, its done subtly.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the purpose of quoting my post and saying this?
I always try to quote who I'm replying to so it makes sense in the thread and there is no misunderstanding. its the reason your post is quoted automatically here. Its done on well designed forum software. Its been a standard for decades. If that's what you mean. And what's with the hand sign in your profile photo? Looks like the Devil's Horns. You might want to rethink that. I know your thumb is sticking out so maybe you're representing the Longhorn University or surfing in general?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I always try to quote who I'm replying to so it makes sense in the thread and there is no misunderstanding. its the reason your post is quoted automatically here. Its done on well designed forum software. Its been a standard for decades. If that's what you mean. And what's with the hand sign in your profile photo? Looks like the Devil's Horns. You might want to rethink that. I know your thumb is sticking out so maybe you're representing the Longhorn University or surfing in general?

No, I'm asking what relevance you said relates to what I said. And it's not devil horns. It's "I love you" in sign language.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, I'm asking what relevance you said relates to what I said. And it's not devil horns. It's "I love you" in sign language.
It may be that in sign language. But how many people on here understand sign language? 99% of the readers here will see that as the devil's horns. And its also a greeting to fellow surfers. And a hand sign of a university in Texas. But as this is a Christian forum, guess what people will focus on? That's my point.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,177,984.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It may be that in sign language. But how many people on here understand sign language? 99% of the readers here will see that as the devil's horns. And its also a greeting to fellow surfers. And a hand sign of a university in Texas. But as this is a Christian forum, guess what people will focus on? That's my point.
I wondered what it was the first time I saw it, but instead of making assumptions I did a little research and discovered that it was sign language. Of course the evil one seeks to corrupt and mock that which is beautiful and holy, just look at what the alphabet community has done with the rainbow, so the question is, do we surrender these things to the evil one?

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Quit trying to make it look like I did something wrong because I didn't.

What relevance does what you said have in response to me? You still haven't answered that.

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wondered what it was the first time I saw it, but instead of making assumptions I did a little research and discovered that it was sign language. Of course the evil one seeks to corrupt and mock that which is beautiful and holy, just look at what the alphabet community has done with the rainbow, so the question is, do we surrender these things to the evil one?
I doubt if any Christian would wear a rainbow colored anything today. Some things just communicate the wrong message. Yes its a shame they have hijacked a few symbols. Its not the end of the world. There are many more available we can use. Hey, they haven't stolen our fish yet! Guard that fish!

Upvote 0

Richard.20.12

Dec 13, 2020
Vancouver
✟39,189.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Quit trying to make it look like I did something wrong because I didn't.

What relevance does what you said have in response to me? You still haven't answered that.
Its not about it being wrong. Its about choosing how we communicate carefully. That's all. That's the relevance. As Christians we need to be careful when we communicate. We don't ever want to look like we accept sinful behavior as being OK and we never want to look like we don't accept sinners as children of God.

Hey, maybe I'm more sensitive to hand signs than most. I was just watching a documentary on how the Iron Curtain came down and one of the first events was a rock concert. The Devil's Horn's were seen in many upraised hands in the immense audience of over 100,000. You have to wonder where did that come from when they've been cut off for so long and why would so many use that one hand sign? Look at the audience photos of any rock concert anywhere and you see the same hand sign over and over. This is not something we should acknowledge in any way. Its just so pervasive now. Is like dressing a child up with a horned costume. Or anything related to sorcery which is so prevalent in the media and entertainment today. But that's a whole other topic.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Its not about it being wrong. Its about choosing how we communicate carefully. That's all. That's the relevance. As Christians we need to be careful when we communicate. We don't ever want to look like we accept sinful behavior as being OK and we never want to look like we don't accept sinners as children of God.

Hey, maybe I'm more sensitive to hand signs than most. I was just watching a documentary on how the Iron Curtain came down and one of the first events was a rock concert. The Devil's Horn's were seen in many upraised hands in the immense audience of over 100,000. You have to wonder where did that come from when they've been cut off for so long and why would so many use that one hand sign? Look at the audience photos of any rock concert anywhere and you see the same hand sign over and over. This is not something we should acknowledge in any way. Its just so pervasive now. Is like dressing a child up with a horned costume. Or anything related to sorcery which is so prevalent in the media and entertainment today. But that's a whole other topic.

The hand symbol is different from the devil horns. That should be clear. There are similarities, but it's a completely different hand symbol.

This is the last time I will bring this up. It seems like you were condemning me based on something I repented of. Was that your intention? If it was, then you are out of line, as that should not be held against me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,177,984.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The hand symbol is different from the devil horns. That should be clear. There are similarities, but it's a completely different hand symbol.

This is the last time I will bring this up. It seems like you were condemning me based on something I repented of. Was that your intention? If it was, then you are out of line, as that should not be held against me.
Some people are quick to judge. Don't let their personal failings get to you :)

Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Or it could be Texas Longhorns or something like that. Then a lot of people use it as "Rock on." You can know the meaning in the context. The devil's horns, the fingers are also pointed closer. But since you are into sign language, did you ever watch a show put together by friends of mine named Sue Thomas FBEye? It was based on a true story.... The producer passed away sadly...

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟176,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Or it could be Texas Longhorns or something like that. Then a lot of people use it as "Rock on." You can know the meaning in the context. The devil's horns, the fingers are also pointed closer. But since you are into sign language, did you ever watch a show put together by friends of mine named Sue Thomas FBEye? It was based on a true story.... The producer passed away sadly...

This is devil horns:

ru7QZPY.png

This is Rock On:

nmwjBK7.png

This is "I love you" in sign language:

9oNII9p.jpg

They are all different.

No, I have not seen that. I am not really into sign language. I just made the "I love you" sign as a pose.

Upvote 0

Kees Boer

Dec 14, 2021
Gainesville
Visit site
✟31,533.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is devil horns:

ru7QZPY.png

This is Rock On:

nmwjBK7.png

This is "I love you" in sign language:

9oNII9p.jpg

They are all different.

No, I have not seen that. I am not really into sign language. I just made the "I love you" sign as a pose.
It's all context. Remember Jesus is the Lion of Judah, but satan goes around as a lion to see whom he can devour....

Upvote 0

LesSme

Aug 19, 2022
SF Bay Area
✟29,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It seems the consensus is that Moses’ fast was effected by God.

When it comes to the issue of Jesus’ fast, it seems we should be considering the fact that he was and is the God-Man which may well have affected how his human body could function. Yes he laid aside his divine attributes to accomplish his earthly assignment, but I believe the exact nature of the hypostatic union boils down to mystery, plain and simple.

The Word-Faithists claim he accomplished his miracles by virtue of Holy Spirit baptism which is untrue, and no such thing exists at any rate. He performed his miracles because he was God himself. E.g. his walking on water.

I believe he accomplished his fast either through the Providence of God as did Moses, or because he was and is the God-Man.

Upvote 0