Is it true that it's only God who cares for us as individuals?

StarryEyedShoeGazer

Dec 28, 2016
Australia
✟62,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a question.

Is it true that only God cares for me as an individual?
Let me clarify that: people in my life ( or anyone's life) will only stay there as long as I serve their interests.
Others will do so out of seeking for an eternal reward - so self interest.
Even my parents - or care givers will age and become self absorbed.

Does human love even exist?

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have a question.

Let me clarify that: people in my life ( or anyone's life) will only stay there as long as I serve their interests.

Look in the Bible FIRST.
(for evidence and description of true love , as seen, in true Ekklesia)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have a question.

I believe you assessment is correct with an exception. It is true that all human love is selfish. Only God is selfless in his love, of which he demonstrated it through his son, Jesus Christ. The exception, are all believers who are born again and filled with the Holy Spirit. In this exception the love of God flows partially in truth through these people. I say partially because in order for the love of God to flow through them, they have to die to themselves. Dying to self is a daily act of disciples of Christ, but it never is fully realized because of our being in this fallen world. However, there will be many times a person will experience that genuine love of God flowing through a believer's heart if one stays in fellowship with the saints. This is, I think, what YeshuaslaveJeff referred to when he said, "(for evidence of true love , as seen, in true Ekklesia)".

Upvote 0

Lazarus Short

Apr 6, 2016
Independence, Missouri, USA
✟294,142.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think it goes without saying that God loves us more than we will ever know this side of the grass. He also gave us the dog to show us the love and devotion we should be showing to Him: dog to man and man to God.

Upvote 0

StarryEyedShoeGazer

Dec 28, 2016
Australia
✟62,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think it goes without saying that God loves us more than we will ever know this side of the grass. He also gave us the dog to show us the love and devotion we should be showing to Him: dog to man and man to God.
No it doesn't go without saying.
Besides that wasn't my question.My question was is God the ONLY one one who truly loves us.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
s it true that only God cares for me as an individual?

No it is not true that only God cares for you as an individual.
God cares for you, loves you yes that is true and can be seen in that you are alive.
Parents and true friends also care for you, for who you are.
Ask them, but how do you care for them?

people in my life ( or anyone's life) will only stay there as long as I serve their interests

Talk to the people in your life, find out about there care.
Tell them about how much you care for them.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

Look in the Bible FIRST.
(for evidence and description of true love , as seen, in true Ekklesia)

The emotional, carnal love you have seen is much much more common and experienced worldwide than
God's selfless self-sacrificial love and life is.

Thus, pretty much only from the Bible, can anyone find proper accurate descriptions of both ,
and how to know , if possible (not always possible perhaps) the difference.

True Godly Love is rare, as is truth, as is honesty, as the Bible reports always.

Reactions: peacelily7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No it doesn't go without saying.
Besides that wasn't my question.My question was is God the ONLY one one who truly loves us.

Quick answer - in the perfect sense - YES.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Quick answer - in the perfect sense - YES.
Or, see in Scripture who abides in Jesus. Who is said , in Scripture, to love as God Says to ? The descriptions in Scripture are truth.
Thus, Ekklesia may be found, as defined and as revealed both in Scripture and revealed by our Father in heaven who love as He Says (not emotionally, not feelings) .

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Upvote 0

peacelily7

Sep 18, 2018
✟3,348.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Parents and true friends also care for you, for who you are.
Not all parents care. Some do and some don't.
Talk to the people in your life, find out about there care.
Tell them about how much you care for them.
Telling someone you care about them may or may not be true. It depends on who's saying it.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not all parents care. Some do and some don't.
Telling someone you care about them may or may not be true. It depends on who's saying it.

Which is why it I wrote about talking to them and challenged the poster about whether they cared for others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a question.

This is an interesting question, because it does seem that humans have a certain amount of inherent self-interest. We are located within our own bodies, so that our experience is only our own. Add to that, we must have a certain amount of self-interest intact in order to survive.

The biblical principle that we are to love others as we love ourselves seems take this inherent self-interest as given, and the starting place for loving others. I have always found it interesting that Jesus, when he repeats this principle, doesn't feel the need to explain what it means to love ourselves. He simply assumes we know. If love of self is seeking what is good for one's self, then the principle is simply saying we should extend that desire for our own good to others, as well. In other words, seek what is good for others, just as you naturally (inherently) seek what is good for yourself.

I do believe human love exists, in that I have experienced it from those who sought what was in my interest even when it brought no benefit to them. Without trying to sound self-righteous, I also have sought to do what is good for others without concern for what it might benefit me. And, even as a Christian, I know I have done this without an eye towards some eternal reward.

Consistency, on the other hand is another issue. I think humans have trouble loving in a consistent way. It can be a struggle. Keeping with the example you brought up, a parent who has done so much for their children may at a later time become self-consumed due to the body breaking down and such. But, hopefully those children have moved from total dependence (small children) to some self-dependence and have taken up their part in learning how to love without self-interest. It is a learning thing. I don't know that loving others is nearly as easy to do as loving ourselves, especially when loving others requires some self-sacrifice on our part. But it does happen.

So, I would say that true human love does exist, but a some times better than others. :)

Upvote 0

mkdrive2

Site Supporter
Sep 26, 2014
✟54,545.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can only talk about myself. There is currently probably indeed no one in the world who really cares about me. To be honest, I don't really feel God's love, either, and I don't think I need to force myself to believe in God's love for me.

Until today I thought that being alone invariably meant being lonely, but I realized that is not really the case. I believe that the basic desire for social connections can be satisfied by talking to strangers who do not care about me. Also remembering the feeling of social satisfaction I had in the past helps me have the right mindset. Finally, I can imagine all the intimacy or deep bonds or other social desires I want, and tell myself I do not absolutely need them.

Upvote 0

StarryEyedShoeGazer

Dec 28, 2016
Australia
✟62,913.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I can only talk about myself. There is currently probably indeed no one in the world who really cares about me. To be honest, I don't really feel God's love, either, and I don't think I need to force myself to believe in God's love for me.

Until today I thought that being alone invariably meant being lonely, but I realized that is not really the case. I believe that the basic desire for social connections can be satisfied by talking to strangers who do not care about me. Also remembering the feeling of social satisfaction I had in the past helps me have the right mindset. Finally, I can imagine all the intimacy or deep bonds or other social desires I want, and tell myself I do not absolutely need them.
I am sorry you feel that way.I believe humans have an in built need for other humans.
When the Lord said to Adam that it was not good to be alone - he didn't just mean having a wife - but all forms of community.

Having said that - I understand your disillusionment.Humans are fickle and it is sad that many of us are not trustworthy.

Many of the answers on this thread are useful - and should serve as a reminder that instead of searching for water in broken cisterns - we should go to the fountain head of all joy - God Himself.
Hard to do when you can't see Him or when He tests you for you to see for yourself how much you need Him by hiding His face from you.

I encourage you to keep persevering in your faith - I assume you are a Christian - and don't let dashed hopes or bitterness creep in - that is the enemies tactic to keep you from God's best.
Blessings.

Upvote 0

Mathetes66

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Pacifc Northwest
✟90,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Philippians 2:19,20 But I hope {trust, expect} in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, so that I also may be encouraged {cheered} when I learn of your state {condition, welfare, needs}. For I have no one else like-minded {of the same spirit} who will genuinely {(sincerely, without hypocrisy, counterfeit or duplicity of aim} care {have concern} about your state {interests}.

The expression must, of course, be limited to those present at the moment with Paul & available for the mission, to be sent to them.

Colossians 4:12-17 Tychicus will tell you all the news about me. He is a BELOVED brother, a faithful minister & a fellow servant in the Lord. I have sent him to you for this very purpose, that you may know about us & that he may encourage your hearts.

9With him I am sending Onesimus, our faithful & BELOVED brother, who is one of you. They will tell you about everything here. My fellow prisoner Aristarchus sends you greetings, as does Mark the cousin of Barnabas. You have already received instructions about him: If he comes to you, welcome him.

11Jesus, who is called Justus, also sends greetings. These are the only Jews among my fellow workers for the kingdom of God & they have PROVED TO BE A COMFORT to me.

12Epaphras, who is one of your number, a bondslave of Jesus Christ, sends you his greetings, always LABORING EARNESTLY FOR YOU in his prayers, that you may stand perfect & fully assured in all the will of God. For I testify for him that he has a GENUINE CONCERN (care) for you & for those who are in Laodicea & Hierapolis.

I John 4:7-21 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is FROM GOD & everyone who loves is born of God & knows God. The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love. By this the love of God was REVEALED IN US, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world so that we might LIVE THROUGH HIM.

10In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God SO LOVED US, we also ought to love one another. 12No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us & His love is perfected in us.

13By this we know that we abide in Him &He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. We have seen & testify that the Father has sent the Son to be the Savior of the world.

15Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him & he in God. We have COME TO KNOW & HAVE BELIEVED THE LOVE WHICH GOD HAS FOR US. God is love & the one who abides in love abides in God & God abides in him.

17By this, love is perfected AMONG us, so that we may have confidence in the day of judgment; because as He is, so also are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.

19We love, because He first loved us.

20If someone says, “I love God” & hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.

21And this COMMANDMENT WE HAVE FROM HIM--that the one who loves God MUST ALSO love their brother & sister.

'Love your neighbor as yourself.'

The issue isn't about others loving us & focusing on us & our needs. God will supply our every need in Christ Jesus. Our issue is to obey God & genuinely love others & meet their needs. God changes us when we genuinely love others with the AGAPE love that only comes from God.

Upvote 0

mkdrive2

Site Supporter
Sep 26, 2014
✟54,545.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hard to do when you can't see Him or when He tests you for you to see for yourself how much you need Him by hiding His face from you.
I am happy that I do not "need" his love, because otherwise I would be very miserable. I don't believe he is testing me. That is probably just how God is. I am not saying this, because I am bitter. I am actually quite satisfied right now.

I agree that humans might need company, but the relationship do not need to be deep. Shallow relationships can satisfy, too. I am not saying this, because I am disillusioned.

Upvote 0