Is it true that bad things cannot happen to a righteous Christian?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not talking about salvation.

I'm talking about while we are alive on this Earth.

For example shark attacks or diseases are rare, is it true God won't let either of that happen to a Christian that is living a good enough life?

And if a Christian is disobedient to God, does God allow bad things to happen to teach them to be more obedient?

Still learning here.

I am trying to understand why bad stuff happens, and come up with a reason.

There are some obvious reasons for example. You let someone immoral into your life because you find that particular person attractive enough that you overlook, and that person ends up turning on you.

I was told to be careful who I let very close into my personal life.

Saint JOHN

May 5, 2017
Adelaide
✟20,848.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Joh 16:33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

You need (a) the Holy spirit . see acts 2 v4, acts 10v46, 19v6,..1cor 14v18 1cor 14v2 1cor 14v14 ..etc

(b) Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, (see above)

so your awake to see the way out.

Reactions: YahuahSaves
Upvote 0

godisagardener

Romans 10:6-9, Ephesians 2:8-10
Jul 7, 2022
Texas
✟62,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Bad things happen to everyone, Christians included. Whether by decisions we make, through decisions made by others, from accidents, etc. Christians face the bad with the good. But we receive strength through God to better handle such situations. We have our faith in God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit to help us through those times and make us stronger. Think of Job. He was a righteous man of faith, but suffered greatly, and his faith was unwavering.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟796,066.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Job
"And the Lord said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? "
and we know the problems he had

DialecticSkeptic
DialecticSkeptic
"So they came to him, all his brothers and sisters and all who had known him before, and they dined with him in his house. They comforted him and consoled him for all the trouble the LORD had brought on him, and each one gave him a piece of silver and a gold ring" (Job 42:11; emphasis added).
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
The Keep
✟581,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, that's not true. Both the Bible and historical records of the martyrs, makes it quite clear that bad things can happen to righteous Christians.

St Paul wrote:

"Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, 26 I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. 27 I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked." 2 Corinthians 11:24-27

However I will say it's less likely that certain consequential bad things will happen to a dedicated Christian, that would happen to someone living an ungodly wicked lifestyle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

For example shark attacks or diseases are rare, is it true God won't let either of that happen to a Christian that is living a good enough life?

And if a Christian is disobedient to God, does God allow bad things to happen to teach them to be more obedient?

Still learning here.

There are some obvious reasons for example. You let someone immoral into your life because you find that particular person attractive enough that you overlook, and that person ends up turning on you.

Read the Book of Job

Upvote 0

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
is it true God won't let either of that happen to a Christian that is living a good enough life?
No, the book of Job is one such example. God tests our faith and uses adversity to strengthen our faith and relationship with Him and also so we can grow to become like Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

By_the_Book

Life lived by the Bible is life worth living.
Jul 25, 2022
St. Augustine
Visit site
✟30,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican

Still learning here.

That is absolutely not true. Job is a great example of the fact that terrible things can happen to very righteous people. Now is there a certain amount of protection provided by God for his children when they're walking in obedience to him? Yes, there is it is usually very specific, covers certain areas, and is individualized to some degree. So there is protection but that does not mean that the wickedness, evil, and sinfulness of the world cannot touch the life of a believer. We live in a very fallen world and whether we like it or not sometimes we are affected by that.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Still learning here.

Bad things can happen to anyone as well as good things. Regardless of salvation status, we are all still in the flesh and subject to all things in this physical life. Prayer is always the way to communicate our supplications of protection to God but keep in mind, His will be done. Blessings.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Still learning here.

We are on a battlefield .... there is a war going on ... just like with any war ... there are casualties ... including that of the "innocent."

God does allow these battles to go on as people are making a decision that which will decide their eternal future.

We must understand fully that God has the power of resurrection and those who have passed (regardless how) will be resurrected ... some to eternal life .... some not. Only HE knows.

Until His return ... many battles fought .... but its who wins the war that counts.

John 16:33

New International Version

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

Take heart.

Upvote 0

DialecticSkeptic

Reformed
Jul 21, 2022
Vancouver
✟45,982.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Is it true that bad things cannot happen to a righteous Christian? ... I am trying to understand why bad stuff happens, and come up with a reason.

And now for a completely different and controversial answer: "Yes, it's true: Bad things cannot happen to a righteous Christian."

An idea dawned upon me one day while meditating on Romans 8:28. If it's true that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (NIV), then how is it possible that bad things happen to the righteous? Are those times when God forgot this promise?

And that's when the idea dawned on me: Who said those things were bad? What if God works for the good of the righteous in all things, as Scripture says? That might include shark attacks and diseases.

Wait a minute: What if viewing those things as bad is a sinful response on my part?

It's a controversial idea and not for everyone, and it's very challenging spiritually, but this perspective has vaporized nearly all of my despair and doubts and led to an increase in repentance and conscious dependence on God. I don't know why this or that painful experience happened but, since I know this is God working for my good, I will trust him and praise him even in this.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,078.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
And now for a completely different and controversial answer: "Yes, it's true: Bad things cannot happen to a righteous Christian."

An idea dawned upon me one day while meditating on Romans 8:28. If it's true that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose" (NIV), then how is it possible that bad things happen to the righteous? Are those times when God forgot this promise?

And that's when the idea dawned on me: Who said those things were bad? What if God works for the good of the righteous in all things, as Scripture says? That might include shark attacks and diseases.

Wait a minute: What if viewing those things as bad is a sinful response on my part?

It's a controversial idea and not for everyone, and it's very challenging spiritually, but this perspective has vaporized nearly all of my despair and doubts and led to an increase in repentance and conscious dependence on God. I don't know why this or that painful experience happened but, since I know this is God working for my good, I will trust him and praise him even in this.
A very stoic idea (not that it is wrong). Paul's theology shares a lot with stoicism, that suffering can be used for our moral benefit. In the case for us, God works all things, even the bad, for our highest good, that we may conform to and rest our whole dependency on Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YahuahSaves

Nov 19, 2022
Melbourne
✟30,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a controversial idea and not for everyone, and it's very challenging spiritually, but this perspective has vaporized nearly all of my despair and doubts and led to an increase in repentance and conscious dependence on God

In the case for us, God works all things, even the bad, for our highest good, that we may conform to and rest our whole dependency on Christ.

I agree. Adversity I believe is how we are conformed to the image of Christ.

1 John 3:2

2 Dear friends, we are already God’s children, but he has not yet shown us what we will be like when Christ appears. But we do know that we will be like him, for we will see him as he really is.

Reactions: Jonaitis
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟719,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Still learning here.

No one lives a "good enough life" .... bad things happen because there is sin in the world ... yes, God does allow these things to happen ... but is always there to help us endure it ... if we rely on Him we will be able to endure come what may (look at the story of Job)

John 16:33 NIV​

“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

relationships are dependent on love .... with love comes risk

Love is not an emotion .... it is a principle ... putting others before self .... which is exactly what Jesus did .... He put the entirety of humanity before himself.

We should be prudent about who we "hang around with" .... if we are being lead astray by the company we keep ... then we must walk away.

People can and do change .... takes a long time to determine a persons character (trend of life) .... even so .... they can change.

So one decides if they are willing to take the risk.

Upvote 0

timf

Jun 12, 2011
✟79,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

2Ti 3:12 Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.

Here we should resolve that "good" may not be the same thing as comfortable, prosperous, easy, or successful.

Upvote 0