Is it time for the VATICAN to begin a new crusade?

Nov 16, 2009
Kentucky
✟12,610.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am a pacifist in almost every instance. But i am beginning to become terribly enraged by the wave of ISIS killings in Mosul.

If we remember correctly, Mosul was one of those provinces where US Soldiers drove tanks thru the streets with chants of Slayer/Deicide/other death metal music screaming from loud speakers as Iraqi Citizens took cover from their evil occupiers.

Now, the dust has settled, good and bad US troops are withdrawn, and a group calling themselves ISIS(Islamic State Iraq Syria have control of Mosul and are slaughtering Christian children in the streets and parks.

They are murdering Christian men and making sex slaves of their wives, forcing them to convert to Islam or die.

I will not FIGHT under the banner of a nation, specifically a nation rule by money/greed/capitalism. The same which would see me and mine dead for reasons other than my faith.

However, it is my opinion, and could be said that I will be immediately petitioning the Vatican to create a new Knights Templar.

We will March thru Europe and into the Middle East and make our final stand in Israel, taking back Bethlehem, Jerusalem, Palestine for Christendom.

We have the most civilized and richest army on the planet. We have the men, to take back this world if God wills it.

Will we, as Christians make a stand against the beasts?:prayer:

Nov 16, 2009
Kentucky
✟12,610.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To beat our enemy we must become our enemy?

No.......Im talking about forming a CHRISTIAN ARMY. To march across Europe all the way to Asia, rescuing Christians wherever they are, and fighting for our people and taking back our Holy Cities and restoring them as such.

Upvote 0

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Views like the OP scare me.
It might scare me if the OP was actually Catholic instead of holding a protestant cross. Protestant Crusaders? I'm thinking the OP has a romanticized imagination of what is right and wrong. Probably see's himself as one of the crusaders. And yet doesn't even understand how they murdered protestants as well as Muslim's and Jew's.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
No.......Im talking about forming a CHRISTIAN ARMY. To march across Europe all the way to Asia, rescuing Christians wherever they are, and fighting for our people and taking back our Holy Cities and restoring them as such.

You learned nothing from the historical truths surrounding the Crusades didn't ya?

:doh:

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It might scare me if the OP was actually Catholic instead of holding a protestant cross. Protestant Crusaders? I'm thinking the OP has a romanticized imagination of what is right and wrong. Probably see's himself as one of the crusaders. And yet doesn't even understand how they murdered protestants as well as Muslim's and Jew's.
Protestantism was invented later on so the Crusaders could not kill people who did not exist. Individual acts of barbarity do not make a cause bad. Muslims had been murdering Christians and conquering land for 400 years before Christians finally responded.

Upvote 0

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
The crusades were a defensive war, yes, but the Pope has no power to form an army today. If he could, though, and sent one to the middle east, that would not make it the same as the IS, since it would be a defensive-action, and that is obviously different from the actions of the IS. Gathering an army also wouldn't be a prudent thing for the Pope to do, since that would certainly begin a worldwide war (the Vatican would have to gather persons from several countries such as France, Spain, and Italy).

Still, it's been interesting for this historian to hear people from the Vatican nuncio to the UN to the President of the United States invoking the language of military action being justified or even necessary to protect against genocide (or credocide, if you prefer). That is essentially what the Crusades were about in the first place. At the First Council of Nicaea in 325, the staggering majority of the ''318 Fathers" came from dioceses in Palestine, Anatolia, and North Africa; in the eighth century, the Muslim armies captured the Greek speaking provinces of Africa, including the historical patriarchite of Alesandria, then Abyssinia, then Palestine, and began pushing into Spain. In the ninth, they captured Rhodes and the remainder of Latin-speaking Africa. In the tenth, Anatolia blanked out and the Byzantine emporer had his hands full. By the eleventh century, when the crusades began, the Muslim armies were well-entrenched in Spain and Southern Italy. By the time of the Crusades, all of the dioceses of asia and Africa that had had bishops at the First Council of Nicaea had been aggressively captured, and three of the five historical patriarchates.

Unfortunately, despite history, and the way people justify military action in the middle east today, people will go on believing the Crusades were aggressive and intolerant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shimshon

Oct 5, 2004
Zion
✟107,464.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Protestantism was invented later on so the Crusaders could not kill people who did not exist. Individual acts of barbarity do not make a cause bad. Muslims had been murdering Christians and conquering land for 400 years before Christians finally responded.
How about continual barbarity throughout the ages? In the case of an entity that supposedly represents and speaks for/as God any act of barbarity will cast doubt on its cause. Let alone continual acts throughout the ages.

I was eluding to the fact that the crusades continued on in other forms. More specifically I was referring to the French Wars in the 16th century. Not to mention the inquisitions that lasted up until the 1800's.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it time for the VATICAN to begin a new crusade?

Sure it is, just look in the Bible and read all the times Christ called the body of believers to form a massive political organization, raise an army, and kill the infidels.

Upvote 0

WisdomTree

Philosopher
Feb 2, 2012
Lincoln
✟15,879.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hahaha, no. It's a terrible idea. The Crusades were initiated to bring about greater unity within Christendom (Schisms, remember?) and liberate the Holy Lands from the Muslims after they were conquered with the rise of Islam. However, there were always oppositions, no matter how small they were, even during the time simply because a) it didn't conform with the image of "Prince of Peace" when it came to Christ, b) it served as a poor evangelical tool, c) Crusaders tended to act very un-Christian. With the division of Christianity into Catholicism, Orthodoxy, Miaphysitism, Nestorianism, Protestantism, Reformed, et cetera, there is no way Christians could unite especially when some are calling each other anti-Christians and what not.

I myself am not against the concept of the Crusades, but looking at it from a practical point of view, it simply will not work not only due to man-power, but also due to the enormous amount of abuse it will arise from (ie Fourth Crusade).

Upvote 0
Nov 16, 2009
Kentucky
✟12,610.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I say ONWARD CHRISTIAN SOLDIERS.

Save our brothers and sisters from the tyranny happening from the Middle East thru the far East.

A March thru these lands, carry the Cross rather than a flag, as a show of solidarity would show the Islamists and the secularists across the globe that we are done tolerating their dividing and conquering of our body.:prayer:

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Save our brothers and sisters from the tyranny happening from the Middle East thru the far East.

A March thru these lands, carry the Cross rather than a flag, as a show of solidarity would show the Islamists and the secularists across the globe that we are done tolerating their dividing and conquering of our body.:prayer:

Honestly nothing is stopping you from making a cross and carrying it around the globe. I bet if you took paypal donations and/or started a kickstarter type campaign you'd even get a good bit of funding for your personal journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I believe when I first heard of ISIS invading Iraq their excuse was to "free their oppressed Sunni brothers."

Sounds exactly what you are proposing, and most likely it will turn more radical because radical fundamentalists would jump at a chance "to kill dem muzzies" We have a lot of these folks in america. But what happens when these folks run into churches using traditions much older than their country? Do they begin to "convert" them? Hmm

If anything like this actually tries and starts I would seriously consider waging a media campaign and spread it to every church everywhere to defacto excommunicate this "christian army", because it would not be anything christian about it.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP

You are all kinds of wrong...i'd go further but....yeah I think most of us can see what kind of "christian" you are.

Is Billo the clown O'Reilly President in your fantasy world?

Upvote 0

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
Yeah, because the first nine Crusades went SO well... :doh:

You're living the way you are today in large part because of the Crusades. There was no further encroachment into nations that were Christian after the Crusades, and it was significantly because they forced the empire to fight a coordinated, external threat - and also because they gave the Irish monks time to begin a new technological revolution, allowing the western European nations to starve off the final push of the Seleucids. The historian Thomas Cahil has a good book on the latter subject, entitled ''How the Irish Saved Civilization.''

I'm not asking you to worship them, but a bit of respect for the crusaders might be nice.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
You're living the way you are today in large part because of the Crusades. There was no further encroachment into nations that were Christian after the Crusades, and it was significantly because they forced the empire to fight a coordinated, external threat - and also because they gave the Irish monks time to begin a new technological revolution, allowing the western European nations to starve off the final push of the Seleucids. The historian Thomas Cahil has a good book on the latter subject, entitled ''How the Irish Saved Civilization.''

I'm not asking you to worship them, but a bit of respect for the crusaders might be nice.

It's Charles Martel that stop further encroachments on European territory then anything the Crusades did.
:doh:

I love this re-writing of history to justify barbarism.

Upvote 0