Is it surprising that the book Jesus most often quoted was Deuteronomy?

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Deuteronomy is a summary of the first four Books of the Bible, so any ref. by Jesus to the OT economy concerning Israel would be found in Deut. Jesus often made ref. to the prophecy in OT to His coming, and all the ref. to Israel's ordinances, sacrifices, and worship, which foretold His coming as the true sacrifice and hope of Israel is shown in the NT. No surprise!

Upvote 0

DPMartin

Apr 12, 2013
✟15,457.00
Faith
Christian
Considering He fulfilled the Torah to the Father’s satisfaction one book or the other would seem logical to be quoted most, by Jesus. And you can bet when He did quote it, He was demonstrating in most cases His fulfillment thereof according to the Father’s Judgement, not man’s. We should take into consideration that the Torah describes the messiah who He is and what He is like. The Gospels are a great witness for sure, but it is the Torah that is the verification of Him, only He could fulfill it.

if you remember how the hearts of the men walking on the road burned when Jesus showed them His fulfillments in the Torah then the scriptures. that's where the fire is. (and yes I know the prophets where scripture too)

It dawned on me the other day, how human nature in the case of the law hasn’t really changed (though this is a little off subject) I was reading Leviticus and in reference to the law of the Sabbath and considered that the Pharisees had their version of what was illegal to do on the Sabbath. They couldn’t change the law, that would be sacrilege to the public but, they could define what was labor and what was not, adding and taking away as they saw fit. Which is the case, when they tried to give Jesus grief over the subject.

So today in the Christian world, it is distinctive to be able to define what a Christian is, and ought to be, to the approval of the church group as a whole. The group choosing what a Christian is, like the democracy they live in. Hence redefining by adding and taking away to suit the desires of the authorities thereof, and or the influences thereof. Therefore, the actual Christian to the approval of the Father in Heaven has no place in the church that the Lord set aside for his people, until He returns. So far this method seems quite effective.

Anyway for the record Jesus is what one who has received His Life, by being born of the Holy Spirit shall become fulfilled in, by varying degrees I would suspect, the rest is burned away. Some with much in Heaven and some with just their souls intact. Therefore, the definition, interpretation the fulfillment of what a believe in Christ is, or at lest is to be. Not human nature, or anything of human nature. in todays terms, if you look up Christian in the dictionary, it should show a picture of Jesus Christ the Son of God. and say see gospels for more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0