Is it sinful to take medication for anxiety & depression as a Christian?

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Are you saying once someone finds God in a "sound" church they won't want anything to do with gifts of the spirit? Not true since it doesn't follow what the bible says, this is telling about you. The relatives probably fell for a satanic deception since many satanists pretend to be christian to mislead true or seeking christians, the tell on that one is Jesus would leave them healthy and strong of mind and heart, not the reverse, thats satan. Satanists pretend to speak in tongues, they pretend to be anything that will lend them confidence so they can lie more effectively, satan is the expert at deception after all.
That is the standard fare for cessationist groups. they have made a doctrine of saying that the gifts all disappeared at the end of the first century when the apostles died off.
If the church sticks to basic talking points and feel good "saved" mantras they have only one side of the coin. A true church will prepare people for spiritual warfare because it will happen and it is coming for us all, gifts of the spirit are an important component of that warfare.
Very true. Use of the gifts is one of the things (among many others) Our Lord is restoring to His people.

Upvote 0

PizzaAddict

Jun 23, 2019
Krakow
✟11,331.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Is it sinful to take medication for depression and anxiety every day as a Christian?

Personally I think yes it is , depression is lack of motivation to do things and anxiety is being scared of something or doing something which would have bad outcome so better of not starting them to begin with .

Most people are depressed because they know they are useless for Kingdom of God ( they are not doing anything to build it just simply go through life doing daily things ) and they could become usefull and they know it by preaching The Gospel to others but they are anxious about it and have anxiety of people rejecting their faith and Jesus which leads to feeling useless and being depressed and it's endless cycle.

I found what make me happy is to preach the gospel to others It makes me feel usefull and since I try to not be afraid of people rejecting Christ I simply remind myself that it's their choice and I did best I could to tell them the truth and remembering that most people will actually reject Christ only small remament will be saved.

So to sum it up pills won't work and will never work for depression , maybe if you have infection of some bacteria yea they can do wonders but for state of mind all they can do is make you not think so you don't worry and don't be depressed just like alcohol and drugs do make you mindless zombiee.

• Friendly
Reactions: NativeAmes
Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If it is a true diagnosed mental illness, that persons body is not producing the endorphins and things needed to regulate the brain.

If it is true mental illness, the medication is designed to offset what the body is not producing.

In that case, the medication is good and regulating what pieces of the brain the body has failed to properly regulate.

So no. Medication is not a sin or bad.

Abusing medication is a sin if your body doesn’t need it.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,892.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it sinful to take medication for depression and anxiety every day as a Christian?
Well, consider: if you got a cut, wouldn't you use a bandage? Sure, in a pinch I could pray if I got a cut -- especially if it was a dangerous cut and not easy to deal with at the moment! But....normally, I'd just go and get a bandage. It's not that prayer isn't a good plan -- it very often is what I do in my life for many things (and it happens these prayers are being all answered). But I have just tendency to first do the ordinary. Like if I have a head ache I would take a pain reliever, I expect (I very rarely get one, usually only if like strep throat or such). Same with antibiotic. I don't feel I'm sinning if I get an antibiotic. So, it seems to me then that drinking chamomile or something stronger for anxiety (if I was really nervous, which hasn't happened in a very long many years) would be perfectly fine, so therefore it seems as if as a temporary thing, a medication is perfectly ok.

It's the things we cannot fix that I tend to pray for -- what I cannot do for myself. I don't know this is the only way. Maybe there is a better way. I do pray daily the prayer Christ specifically said to us to pray, in Matthew 6, and I think this covers a lot more than we guess at first.

But for problems that persist, then prayer is a very good plan! Hallelujah!

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,972.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Depression has been associated with an imbalance of brain chemicals in parts of the brain that are associated with emotion. So medication can help restore those imbalances. But this is only one part of dealing with depression as therapy and a health lifestyle is also needed. If you were to apply this to severe mental illness such as schizophrenia then medication is vital as there really is no other alternative and without medication a person can end up dangerously ill and harm themselves or others.

Upvote 0

gym_class_hero

Dec 31, 2016
state of grace
✟122,069.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not sinful to take meds for any illness. I'd run from any church or Christian that claimed that. There's no scriptural basis for that.

Find a Christian counselor that considers everything that goes into your health..sleep, diet, exercise and spiritual wellness.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

caring 2018

Oct 8, 2018
Alachua County
✟13,993.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a question that many Christians who struggle with depression ask. When I began struggling with depression and anxiety, I kept questioning how can I be going through this if I am a Christian. I love the Lord, pray daily, read the scripture and yet I still was struggling with such darkness where I couldn't function or get out of bed. I learned that depression and anxiety is a chemical imbalance in the brain. It was explained to me, just like someone who has diabetes, they need the right amount of insulin in their body to become regulated. The same thing happens in our brain. We need the right amount of depression and anxiety medication to help get us regulated. Medication alone is not the answer. It takes the right medication and counseling to heal from depression and anxiety. We all struggle with past hurts, situations, thoughts, mindset that hold us back from that abundant life God wants us to have. We have difficulty letting go, even though we want to, and have good intentions to. I have learned through the support of a life coach how to become aware of what my body needs, why I do the things I do from past thoughts, beliefs, and identity. It was what I knew from growing up, but it wasn't really working for me and I needed to make changes. We went on a journey of self-awareness. Too often we focus on our situations, our thoughts, how we feel, and not on God. We think we are focusing on God, but I have learned if I am not at peace then I am not giving it to God. My favorite verse is Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. The other verse I focus on daily is: Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything but with prayer and petition present your requests to God; and the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your heart and your mind in Christ Jesus. I am praying today for you that you let go and give all your concerns to God. He will provide that peace which is beyond our understanding. Our circumstances may not change, but He is bigger than our circumstances and can give us peace even in the midst of the toughest times in our life. I am here for you if you ever want to chat or pray. All the best. Hugs and Blessings..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fear2Believe

Aug 24, 2019
Brisbane
✟154,284.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Freethinker
Marital Status
Single
Who would actually know such a thing? I'm guessing you're a Christian, so I would also guess that only Jesus would know the answer to your question.

Upvote 0