Is it sinful to take medication for anxiety & depression as a Christian?

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ask the Lord to show you what to do. He will lead you and guide you. Just hang on in. If you need to take the medication, it's not a sin. But you should aim to be free of it as soon as you can.

Grace will make one able to know if they are to stop taking medication. And, grace will also will make them able to know they should not.

No one should push him to stop, and that includes the person himself. Some conditions may not be relieved if they are physiological. When they are psychological in origin, the relieving of stress will come as one grows in grace and knowledge. Yet, deficiencies caused by that stress may be needed to be addressed as well. By God's grace I was led (in increments) into finding supplements to reverse damage caused by years of deep stress.. Stress can cause physical harm that will become a stress in itself.

But! The teaching has got to be sound doctrinal teachings. It must be sound for the Holy Spirit in a believer to honor whats learned with His power. Sincerity and good intentions will not heal. It must be accurate and true. God will lead to finding sound doctrinal teaching if that is what the hurting believer truly desires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Chris V++

Associate Member
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2018
Dela Where?
Visit site
✟675,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn't say its sinful but I would try diet, exercise, and sleep first. It seems like they want to put everyone on some sort of medication these days, just like they over prescribed the opioids. You have people turning to heroin cause they can't get their physician prescribed pills anymore. These psychotropics seem to be one size fits all. The same brands seem to be doled out for mental aches in pains the way people take aspirin for a variety of physical aches and pains. Anxiety is no fun but a good workout does wonders.

Reactions: NativeAmes
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes the Creator and Jesus are all you need to heal any ailments or problems in your life, you have to pray, ask and wait/be patient and have faith.

Why can't a Dr/medication be the answer to the prayer you mention?

Will Jesus, through prayer and patience, give me money if I should decide to quit may job, or am I expected take care of myself? And if I'm supposed to take care of it myself, why am I not suppose to go get myself healed by a doctor/medication when necessary?

Sitting there with a broken leg for instance, and waiting for God to heal me is not a show of "faith", it's a show of a complete lack of God given good sense.

Upvote 0

NativeAmes

Aug 22, 2019
Edmonton
✟8,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why can't a Dr/medication be the answer to the prayer you mention?

Will Jesus, through prayer and patience, give me money if I should decide to quit may job, or am I expected take care of myself? And if I'm supposed to take care of it myself, why am I not suppose to go get myself healed by a doctor/medication when necessary?

Sitting there with a broken leg for instance, and waiting for God to heal me is not a show of "faith", it's a show of a complete lack of God given good sense.

Could be, paul was a doctor after all lol Mental health stuff though i would not take meds for or advise anyone to take meds personally, for a more scientific (rather than a spiritual) approach maybe someone should look up data on meds affect on mental health and resulting symptoms, overlay trends with past stats and see if logically these can be good for you. I remember reading about how almost all of the school and mass shooters had mental health issues and were on meds. We know no one is naturally crazy or deficient, God made our bodies and minds as intended to be perfect and capable, our modern mental ailments are due to human constructs and as per the bible, demonic oppression.

- Yes jesus will provide for you and your family is you have faith, it may not lead you down the path you were expecting but if you trust Him you will know why when it comes around full circle. Watch testimonies of people who have been in the same economic position.
- i answered the one about the broken bone, you're either choosing to ignore it or pretend i didn't say it to justify your lack of faith

Upvote 0

NativeAmes

Aug 22, 2019
Edmonton
✟8,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure why you're separating mental health (and deathly disease) from the rest of our body's disease and ailments. Our minds are physical just as much as they are spiritual. I have my sweet mother in law alive today because of doctors that helped her recover from cancer twice. I'm grateful she didn't rely on faith and prayer alone.

Mental health issues do cause or contribute to resulting physical ailments and symptoms (i.e. depressed>lack of sleep>physical deterioration) and vice versa (Sickness>lack of mobility>depression), but acting like the solution to one problem should be executed across the board to solve all problems is illogical. Yes some cancer survivors heal through modern medicine and others through instant healing from Jesus. The one who acts like Jesus had no role in their life or health will be lost regardless of how long their physical life lasts. The other who had faith regardless of life or death being on their doorstep will walk with Him for eternity.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
When I pray for healing for people, I also pray for God's help for those giving the sick person medical care. While God can certainly heal people directly, and has done so, he also often works his healing through other people such as doctors, surgeons, nurses, and yes, even mental health professionals. So no, it is not sinful to take medication for anxiety/depression *if* they are necessary. (Sometimes I believe these to be over-prescribed and should be more of a last resort after everything else is tried.) I would be more inclined to suggest it would be sinful to *not* use all the tools that God generously provides to us for our care. After all, those in the medical fields received their skills and talents and gifts from him.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
- Yes jesus will provide for you and your family is you have faith, it may not lead you down the path you were expecting but if you trust Him you will know why when it comes around full circle. Watch testimonies of people who have been in the same economic position.
- i answered the one about the broken bone, you're either choosing to ignore it or pretend i didn't say it to justify your lack of faith

What do you mean by, the first word there..."yes". Is that to say we can just quit our jobs, or sit there with a broken leg waiting for help to come to us? i just need to know if I understand you correctly?

What economic position? I don't recall that in the conversation. No, I was just making some points using the broken bone someone mentioned. Why do you think I'm trying to justify my lack of faith, I thought my faith was just fine??

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NativeAmes

Aug 22, 2019
Edmonton
✟8,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean by, the first word there..."yes". Is that to say we can just quit our jobs, or sit there with a broken leg waiting for help to come to us? i just need to know if I understand you correctly?

What economic position? I don't recall that in the conversation. No, I was just making some points using the broken bone someone mentioned. Why do you think I'm trying to justify my lack of faith, I thought my faith was just fine??

I meant yes, that faith in Jesus and prayer can and will help economic issues, although they may not come in the package expected. Per "economic position" - You asked will Jesus give me money if i quit my job thus job + money = economic position. No it doesnt come in a package like that (for some it has, everyone is different in their relationship with God and their path to serve Him. The bible says we are to be useful and not be lazy and to provide for others, which means working in some form or other with the intent to provide/do good. If something bad happens and we lose our job, perhaps the Creator is steering toward something else, pray, put on the armor of God and remain steadfast and he will provide for you when you need, act in faith.

Maybe that was someone else, i have multi pages open, but in this thread someone brought up the boken bone question and i answered it, twice now.

Not for me to say with authority, but from an observation standpoint your faith seems weak if you're a christian and and doubting these statements on faith. Did you not read the bible, or you just don't believe it or have never experienced anything spiritual or what? I'm just a newbie christian and have only read the bible in the past few years and i remember discovering these truths about faith in the bible, why haven't you?

Upvote 0

NativeAmes

Aug 22, 2019
Edmonton
✟8,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe to OP research the medical industry logos origins rooting from ancient satanic symbolism, the name and medical terms correlated to the names of fallen angels, overlay that with the obvious concern trolls pretending to be christian yet casting doubt on what the bible says about healing and faith and add in these same trolls all bleating "yes take meds, take meds" and come up with you're own logical conclusion

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Don't get me started about these faith healing charlatans. They distort God's Word in a mean and cruel way. The highest rate of Christians that need to be institutionalized come out from such churches.

Paul told Timothy to have a little wine with his water because of his stomach problems.

"Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because
of your stomach and your frequent illnesses."
2 Tim 5:23​

And, Paul who in his early days had the ability to heal, ceased to do so.It was given to authenticate his calling before believers that he was from God. Later on, Paul had to leave behind a dear friend because of illness.

"Erastus stayed in Corinth, and I left Trophimus
sick in Miletus."
2 Tim 4:20​

Healing was only for the very early days of the brand new church age.

It was to show people that these men with the gift to heal were chosen by God! But, once the church became established and these men were proven genuine? God dropped the signs and wonders. The Lord then wanted the Church to begin growing in grace and KNOWLEDGE!

A sign and wonders leaves someone just as stupid as before a sign was given. In contrast. Knowledge of God's Word, learned in the filling of the Spirit, TRANSFORMS our minds more and more... leading into the image of Christ.
I know that you are sharing a commonly held view. When I was born again, I had zero knowledge of Christian teaching apart from a bit of Sunday School stuff. I was in the military and travelled extensively. I met Christians of all kinds. One such was a Pentecostal pastor, who founded Teen Challenge in Australia. I came across some of those on the program and they invited me to one of their meetings. Before I was born again, I was a heavy drinker, certainly psychologically dependent and suffering health complications as a result. My liver was in bad shape. I had another chronic problem that had dogged me for 4 years. I did not mention this to anyone. I had never come across anyone like these people before. I was suspicious. However, the Pastor had what I know to be a word of knowledge. He said that there was someone with an ailment and he described my symptoms. He said that he would pray for the person with their permission. Since no one else responded, I said that I was suffering. He laid hands on me. I was healed instantly. Later that day the the chronic problem arose. I was still ecstatic about the healing earlier in the day so I prayed for myself. I was healed instantly and permanently.

I am dead set against the faith/prosperity/healing teachings. I agree that they can be destructive. I sometimes go to the doctor. All healing is of God, no matter the means. Sometimes He chooses to heal instantly, other times progressively. When I got healed way back, I had no faith. The Pastor had faith. Please do not throw out the truth because others are misusing it. It is a persuasive teaching. I fell into it myself. The Lord revealed the truth to me and I now reject the false aspects out of hand. However, healing is still the children's bread.

• Useful
Reactions: NativeAmes
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know that you are sharing a commonly held view. When I was born again, I had zero knowledge of Christian teaching apart from a bit of Sunday School stuff. I was in the military and travelled extensively. I met Christians of all kinds. One such was a Pentecostal pastor, who founded Teen Challenge in Australia. I came across some of those on the program and they invited me to one of their meetings. Before I was born again, I was a heavy drinker, certainly psychologically dependent and suffering health complications as a result. My liver was in bad shape. I had another chronic problem that had dogged me for 4 years. I did not mention this to anyone. I had never come across anyone like these people before. I was suspicious. However, the Pastor had what I know to be a word of knowledge. He said that there was someone with an ailment and he described my symptoms.

When I was young and did not know any better... A girlfriend of mine told me to get into her car so she could take me somewhere. As we drove off I asked what was going on. It was my birthday and she said she was taking me to a psychic as a birthday gift.

It was a young lady's home. We sat alone in a room. She began to tell me about people in my family and mentioned a certain conditions a family member had. She had no way of knowing these things.

The "gifts crowd" do the same things... And, its why Jesus warned about them.

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter
the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the
will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me
on that day, ‘Lord, Lord
, did we not prophesy in your
name and in your name drive out demons and in
your name perform many miracles?’
Then I will tell
them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you
evildoers!’
Matt 7:21-23​

Once you find a church where sound doctrine is competently taught you just won't want any of that stuff. That is... if one wants sound doctrine. Not everyone does. I have relatives in the kind of movement you spoke of. One needs to be medicated because of mental imbalance, and the other will not work. It was not that way until after they got caught up in the "power" they call the Holy Spirit and began speaking in alleged tongues.

... enuf said

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
When I was young and did not know any better... A girlfriend of mine told me to get into her car so she could take me somewhere. As we drove off I asked what was going on. It was my birthday and she said she was taking me to a psychic as a birthday gift.

It was a young lady's home. We sat alone in a room. She began to tell me about people in my family and mentioned a certain conditions a family member had. She had no way of knowing these things.

on that day, ‘Lord, Lord
Then I will tell
evildoers!’

Once you find a church where sound doctrine is competently taught you just won't want any of that stuff. That is... if one wants sound doctrine. Not everyone does. I have relatives in the kind of movement you spoke of. One needs to be medicated because of mental imbalance, and the other will not work. It was not that way until after they got caught up in the "power" they call the Holy Spirit and began speaking in alleged tongues.

... enuf said
I've been to both Pentecostal and Evangelical churches. I was youth Pastor at a Pentecostal church. I reject labels and I reject dead religion. If the Church was a wonderful, Christ centred, loving, caring and sinner seeking body, I'd agree. It is not. Or rather what calls itself church is not. I knew tongues talking, hand waving song singers who were no more born again than my goldfish (since deceased). I knew Baptists who were full of love, Joy and Peace. One of them was especially helpful to me. I no longer identify with any denomination. I absolutely see the need for Christians to be baptised in the Holy Spirit. As one commentator put it, The Holy Spirit puts us into Christ. Christ puts us into the Holy Spirit. The Baptism of the HS is power for service. Way too many people think it makes them superior to others. Rubbish. Gifts are way less important than fruit. But they have real value. There is nothing new about this. The Wesley brothers both embraced the Baptism of the Holy Spirit as a separate experience. It does not have to be, it depends on circumstances at the time of conversion.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was miraculously healed through prayer just last March of a spinal cyst that the doctors had declared needed to be removed by surgery. As far as I can tell, it was instantaneous. On Friday I was plagued by stabbing pain so terrible it took me to my knees, sometimes in public. I prayed with one of our pastors that Friday night (I asked for prayer to carry me through the scheduled spinal surgery--he suggested, "Why don't we pray for healing?"), on Monday I realized I was totally pain free.

I still see my doctor, however, and I still take meds for a few other things.

I also take vitamins, exercise daily, drink a little apple cider vinegar and lots of water, and fast for 20 hours each day.

Upvote 0

NativeAmes

Aug 22, 2019
Edmonton
✟8,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes t

on that day, ‘Lord, Lord
Then I will tell
evildoers!’

... enuf said

The psychic, if she did not mention Jesus as her lord and saviour and give praise to Him then she was actually demonically influenced , thats the only two ways you receive that gift. God or satan, the difference is satans demons have no power or influence when Jesus enters the picture, just mentioning him they will attack you/host unless you have the armor of God on, then they can't touch you and have to flee. The tell is, any person who has gifts, do they follow what the bible tells us since Gods word is the truth, do they mention Jesus and give thanks to him for having that power?

Are you saying once someone finds God in a "sound" church they won't want anything to do with gifts of the spirit? Not true since it doesn't follow what the bible says, this is telling about you. The relatives probably fell for a satanic deception since many satanists pretend to be christian to mislead true or seeking christians, the tell on that one is Jesus would leave them healthy and strong of mind and heart, not the reverse, thats satan. Satanists pretend to speak in tongues, they pretend to be anything that will lend them confidence so they can lie more effectively, satan is the expert at deception after all.

If the church sticks to basic talking points and feel good "saved" mantras they have only one side of the coin. A true church will prepare people for spiritual warfare because it will happen and it is coming for us all, gifts of the spirit are an important component of that warfare.

• Agree
Reactions: Dave-W
Upvote 0

NativeAmes

Aug 22, 2019
Edmonton
✟8,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was miraculously healed through prayer just last March of a spinal cyst that the doctors had declared needed to be removed by surgery. As far as I can tell, it was instantaneous. On Friday I was plagued by stabbing pain so terrible it took me to my knees, sometimes in public. I prayed with one of our pastors that Friday night (I asked for prayer to carry me through the scheduled spinal surgery--he suggested, "Why don't we pray for healing?"), on Monday I realized I was totally pain free.

I also take vitamins, exercise daily, drink a little apple cider vinegar and lots of water, and fast for 20 hours each day.

Ive been thinking about fasting, was wondering how other people do it, i'll try your way

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it sinful to take medication for depression and anxiety every day as a Christian?

Of course not.
God created plants and other compounds that can heal.
God gave us brains to learn and use these items.
If God gave them and the wisdom to use them, isn't refusing them the sin? For anxiety, you might want to try prayer, essential oils and looking at the stress in your life and making a change; but if you have been diagnosed with depression this is a serious issue that requires outside help. Refusing medication in that case sounds more like pride and most sin comes back to pride. Admitting you have a problem and getting the help needed takes some humility because "What will everybody think?" That's pride talking when you are more concerned with peoples perceptions and possible thoughts of you rather than taking the steps a doctor has advised.

It doesn't matter if the disease is of the body or the mind. Diseases of the mind often have a physical component as well. My mother had clinical depression. While certain real-life circumstances triggered it, she had a severe shortage of neurotransmitters in the brain and the medication helped her make them. The treatment and medication gave her back the last 18 years of her life.

Can God heal? Yes. Will he always heal in every case? No.
I hugely disagree with the movement that says ask and you will be healed and that not being healed means you are either sinful (all are sinful) or don't have enough faith (way to go making someone feel less than) Apart from the fact that we all have to die of something at some point, this totally disregards that being healed may not be God's plan for a person. There may be a reason for the affliction even if that is simply to make you grow in wisdom or to emphasise with others with similar issues. Paul had a thorn all his life. Times of trial strengthen us.

• Winner
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I was healed of painful pleurisy in a similar way. I am not against healing. I am against counterfeit spirits that can heal as well.....

Upvote 0