Is it sinful to take medication for anxiety & depression as a Christian?

mkgal1

His perfect way sets me free. 2 Samuel 22:33
Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I agree with Bob. Would you have the same concern if you had something like a sinus infection or some other physical/medical ailment? Our minds can become sick and diseased just like the rest of our bodies - and sometimes only medication can help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's easy to understand why a lot of people have little addictions towards drugs. They may enjoy the way they make them feel or don't feel?

So we need to take 2 people in to consideration with one being the doctor and the other ourself.

Does my doctor absolutely recommend that I take this drug for the benefit of myself and others?

Or is this possible a drug which I actually enjoy and I'm just stroking my doctor telling him what I think he needs to hear so as to prescribe me some more drugs that make me feel good?

I think that man deep in his heart and mind knows the true answer. But, do we always listen to ourselves or is it just another case of self deception?

Coming from one that way in my past
stroked a few doctors
and walked out of their offices
with a couple of prescriptions in my hand.
M-Bob

Upvote 0

NativeAmes

Aug 22, 2019
Edmonton
✟8,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes the Creator and Jesus are all you need to heal any ailments or problems in your life, you have to pray, ask and wait/be patient and have faith. They will guide you. Also keep in mind that one of Satans fallen angels has a name and symbol that correlates with modern pharmaceuticals and the medical system symbol. (I would have to look into past research to remember the name/symbol). And finally i recently watched testimonies of people who met jesus and converted, in their testimonies they were guided to understand the meds they were taking were blocking them from fully realizing their faith and relationship with God. Thats all i got on it for now, still learning more at this point.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes the Creator and Jesus are all you need to heal any ailments or problems in your life, you have to pray, ask and wait/be patient and have faith.
Would you only pray if you had a broken leg and expect that to heal your broken bones?

I know people personally that have been endangered by this "advice". A family should NOT have to go through this in order to realize how important medication can be.

Here's one example of someone that almost died because of this advice:
Missing Modesto Woman Found Weeks Later Hiding In Field
quote from article: "For nearly three weeks, hundreds of volunteers have been looking long and hard for former Modesto school teacher Jamie Tull. The three men were hoping to find any type of clue left behind by the 36-year-old woman who family says suffers from bipolar disorder "​

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
This reminds me of that well known story about a man who got caught up in a storm and was close to drowning. A boat came past and offered to pick him up. Then a rescue helicopter came over him and offered to pull him out of the water. Each time practical help was offered, he kept on repeating that he was OK because he was praying to God, trusting Him to rescue him. After he drowned, he went to Heaven. Bewildered and confused, he asked God why He didn't help him. He was then reminded of the all the opportunities he had to get help which he had declined.

There is nothing wrong about asking God in prayer to meet our needs, including our health needs, but often His provision for us comes in practical ways, such as doctors, psychologists, pharmacists, and physiotherapists. It even includes medication. To refuse their help is nothing other than biting the hand that feeds them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NativeAmes

Aug 22, 2019
Edmonton
✟8,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Would you only pray if you had a broken leg and expect that to heal your broken bones?

I know people personally that have been endangered by this "advice". A family should NOT have to go through this in order to realize how important medication can be.

Here's one example of someone that almost died because of this advice:
Missing Modesto Woman Found Weeks Later Hiding In Field
quote from article: "For nearly three weeks, hundreds of volunteers have been looking long and hard for former Modesto school teacher Jamie Tull. The three men were hoping to find any type of clue left behind by the 36-year-old woman who family says suffers from bipolar disorder "​

Apparently Jesus and faith healers can actually, but in the bible God did say there were regular healers/doctors too. I'm not sure exactly when to use which option, but logical speculation i would assume the regular doctors would be for broken bones and common ailments and faith healers or faith in Jesus would be used in times of deathly disease, mental health, and acts of miracles (for non-believers to see and convert). There are warnings to be careful of the false healers, we know human nature and these types are inevitable among every human group of people - opportunists, thieves and liars. We are not to take mind altering drugs (when i found out about this i quit weed lol) and the fact that the pharmaceutical industry uses a satanic symbol and the name has ancient origins with an original fallen angel, tells me all i need to know (in that one area anyway). "Symbols will be their downfall" and they will reveal their true satanic selves to those with open eyes.

Upvote 0

NativeAmes

Aug 22, 2019
Edmonton
✟8,496.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This reminds me of that well known story about a man who got caught up in a storm and was close to drowning. A boat came past and offered to pick him up. Then a rescue helicopter came over him and offered to pull him out of the water. Each time practical help was offered, he kept on repeating that he was OK because he was praying to God, trusting Him to rescue him. After he drowned, he went to Heaven. Bewildered and confused, he asked God why He didn't help him. He was then reminded of the all the opportunities he had to get help which he had declined.

There is nothing wrong about asking God in prayer to meet our needs, including our health needs, but often His provision for us comes in practical ways, such as doctors, psychologists, pharmacists, and physiotherapists. It even includes medication. To refuse their help is nothing other than biting the hand that feeds them.

wow lol my dad has told me that exact story twice in the past year, interesting thank you. Yes not everything that comes to you is to help you and not everything is out to destroy you, the bible said to discern clearly and be careful to not be deceived- you will know its from Him if it follows what the bible says, if it doesn't it is probably satans deception.

Upvote 0

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
but logical speculation i would assume the regular doctors would be for broken bones and common ailments and faith healers or faith in Jesus would be used in times of deathly disease, mental health, and acts of miracles (for non-believers to see and convert).
I'm not sure why you're separating mental health (and deathly disease) from the rest of our body's disease and ailments. Our minds are physical just as much as they are spiritual. I have my sweet mother in law alive today because of doctors that helped her recover from cancer twice. I'm grateful she didn't rely on faith and prayer alone.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is it sinful to take medication for depression and anxiety every day as a Christian?
My pastor used to tell us that if anyone needs to be on medication they should do so... and continue to learn the Word of God. Anything that aids us in learning and living the Word should never be considered a sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mkgal1

Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My pastor used to tell us that if anyone needs to be on medication they should do so... and continue to learn the Word of God. Anything that aids us in learning and living the Word should never be considered a sin.
This is a great point. I've known people to lose their faith over faulty teaching (such as: "God will heal you....you just need to have faith and obedience"). When that's proven false (because they've turned them self into a pretzel trying to "have more faith" and "be more obedient" - people can possibly leave God (instead of leaving behind just the faulty teaching).

• Prayers
Upvote 0

GenemZ

Mar 1, 2004
Atlanta
✟77,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is a great point. I've known people to lose their faith over faulty teaching (such as: "God will heal you....you just need to have faith and obedience"). When that's proven false (because they've turned them self into a pretzel trying to "have more faith" and "be more obedient" - people can possibly leave God (instead of leaving behind just the faulty teaching).

Don't get me started about these faith healing charlatans. They distort God's Word in a mean and cruel way. The highest rate of Christians that need to be institutionalized come out from such churches.

Paul told Timothy to have a little wine with his water because of his stomach problems.

"Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because
of your stomach and your frequent illnesses."
2 Tim 5:23​

And, Paul who in his early days had the ability to heal, ceased to do so.It was given to authenticate his calling before believers that he was from God. Later on, Paul had to leave behind a dear friend because of illness.

"Erastus stayed in Corinth, and I left Trophimus
sick in Miletus."
2 Tim 4:20​

Healing was only for the very early days of the brand new church age.

It was to show people that these men with the gift to heal were chosen by God! But, once the church became established and these men were proven genuine? God dropped the signs and wonders. The Lord then wanted the Church to begin growing in grace and KNOWLEDGE!

A sign and wonders leaves someone just as stupid as before a sign was given. In contrast. Knowledge of God's Word, learned in the filling of the Spirit, TRANSFORMS our minds more and more... leading into the image of Christ.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Is it sinful to take medication for depression and anxiety every day as a Christian?
It would be preferable to deal with the root cause. As a sufferer, I did not take medication. I was depressed to the point of planning suicide. God broke through my terrible thoughts and snapped me out of the spiral. Lord Jesus told us to be anxious for nothing. I found that I was anxious for exactly that - nothing! It is a destructive, pointless drudge that keeps us from living in Victory.

You may need deliverance. I did. Anxiety is basically a fear of the future. I had tremendous help from the leader of our fellowship at the time (now gone to be with the Lord). Some of the things I needed to know included:
God loves me. As I am. He expects nothing from me. When you see this, fear flees.
I am not the person that I used to be. I died with Christ on the Cross. I have a new nature that I received when I accepted Christ as Lord and Saviour. He is risen, therefore I rose with Him
Lord Jesus lives in me and He is in reality now my life. If you can see that, your burden will be lighter immediately. To me, that revelation was as liberating as the day I was born again. That moment I realised that I was forgiven. When I saw Christ as my Life, I realised that I was no longer expected to perform. Lord was living in me to be the motivation and power of my life.
I needed to forgive those who had offended me (my ex wife was one). That was a big problem. When we do not forgive, we suffer because God will not forgive us. It's not a matter of heaven or hell, but a matter of spiritual strength. We effectively put ourselves in spiritual prison.
You need to resist the devil, humbling yourself first. Confess your sin and your inability to deal with the problem. That allows Lord Jesus to go to work to set you free. Get into the Bible and research fear. I am told that God said, "Fear not" 365 times - once for every day of the year! Get built up in faith. Ask the Lord to show you what to do. He will lead you and guide you. Just hang on in. If you need to take the medication, it's not a sin. But you should aim to be free of it as soon as you can.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The New Testament mentions Luke briefly a few times, and the Pauline Epistle to the Colossians refers to him as a physician (from Greek for 'one who heals'); thus he is thought to have been both a physician and a disciple of Paul.

• Agree
Upvote 0