Is it Sinful to Sing Hymns Other than the Psalms in Worship?

Is it sinful to sing hymns other than the psalms in worship?

• Yes, only unaccompanied psalms should be sung in worship.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Yes, only psalms should be sung in worship; accompaniment is acceptable.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, it is not sinful to sing hymns other than the psalms is worship.

Votes: 18 81.8%

• Total voters

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I need only one argument against the idea that to sing songs other than Psalms in worship; although, I have MANY. Let's compare it to preaching. If you ban any other song but Psalms, then you must be consistent and ban preachers from doing anything but reading the texts.

Preaching is not simply reading the text; therefore singing does not need to be reciting of the exact words of a Psalm. It conveys biblical concepts. Just as a sermon is an exegesis of the text, a song/hymn is an exegesis of a text.

Upvote 0

HeraldOfTheHolyOne

יהוה יהוה אל רחום וחנון ארך אפים ורב חסד ואמת
Dec 27, 2013
California
✟8,380.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I need only one argument against the idea that to sing songs other than Psalms in worship; although, I have MANY. Let's compare it to preaching. If you ban any other song but Psalms, then you must be consistent and ban preachers from doing anything but reading the texts.

Preaching is not simply reading the text; therefore singing does not need to be reciting of the exact words of a Psalm. It conveys biblical concepts. Just as a sermon is an exegesis of the text, a song/hymn is an exegesis of a text.

This has been answered before in writing. Essentially, different elements of worship are governed by Scripture in different ways. The element of singing is not equivalent to the element of the preaching of the Word. Okay I'll stop now! :wave:

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
This has been answered before in writing. Essentially, different elements of worship are governed by Scripture in different ways. The element of singing is not equivalent to the element of the preaching of the Word. Okay I'll stop now! :wave:

Yes. Stop.:oldthumbsup:

Get back to me when on your 50th BD. ;)

Having a debate about this is one thing. Calling it sinful to sing anything other than Psalms in worship is OTT. It pains me to hear such things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
In response to #1 especially: This is not in line with the historic Reformed understanding of the Law. There is by necessary implication a division in the Mosaic Law between civil, ceremonial, and moral laws (cf. WCF 19.3-4 & relevant biblical texts used in support).

I agree with much of what you've stated. The ceremonial aspects of Old Testament life - the Temple, priesthood, sacrifices, et al, find their culmination in Jesus Christ and His redemptive work. Those Old Testament things foresignified what Christ was coming to do, functioning as types & shadows of what was to come. However, given the regulative principle of worship, musical instruments are only prescribed to Levites functioning in the Temple's worship, as previously shown (if I am not mistaken). Though the New Temple has come (Christ, and the Church), a Greater Priest has come (Christ), a new priesthood is here (the priesthood of all believers), there is nevertheless no transference of a musical instrument mandate from Levites functioning in the Old Testament temple, to the New Covenant administration and its worship of God. And since it is not commanded for this covenantal administration, was unique to Mosaic Temple worship (which Temple, sacrifices, priesthood, etc. is fulfilled in Christ and His Church), and was unique to a specific group of families and not for all the people at all times, I conclude that most likely we should not be using musical instruments in corporate worship.

I'm having trouble finding your post with the original argument in it. Did that disappear? Refresh my memory but I'm actually struggling to recall any instance in the Torah where instrumentation is commanded.

Upvote 0

Calvinist Dark Lord

Apr 8, 2003
Near Pittsburgh, which is NOT in Scotland!
✟27,806.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I can understand this thread coming out of the OPC or CRCNA, but not the PCA. I saddens me to see that people in my denomination hold these views.
As a person who is about to become a member of an OPC congregation, i can assure you that our congregation uses the Trinity Hymnal, which has far more entries than any contemporary psalter.

SHUDDER...We also sing songs in congregational worship that are not Psalms.:eek:

Upvote 0

HeraldOfTheHolyOne

יהוה יהוה אל רחום וחנון ארך אפים ורב חסד ואמת
Dec 27, 2013
California
✟8,380.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I'm having trouble finding your post with the original argument in it. Did that disappear? Refresh my memory but I'm actually struggling to recall any instance in the Torah where instrumentation is commanded.

Weird, I don't see it either. That post must've been deleted, but I wasn't the one who did it. That or there's some glitch happening. The argument mostly cited from the Chronicles to demonstrate that the use of musical instruments was appointed specifically to certain Levites for Temple worship.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Weird, I don't see it either. That post must've been deleted, but I wasn't the one who did it. That or there's some glitch happening. The argument mostly cited from the Chronicles to demonstrate that the use of musical instruments was appointed specifically to certain Levites for Temple worship.

Are those Chronicles passages descriptive or prescriptive?

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
And, even if they are prescriptive, would they apply to the church?

If they're purely descriptive then this would indicate that the Israelites were using instruments in worship in the absence of any clear command to do so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If they're purely descriptive then this would indicate that the Israelites were using instruments in worship in the absence of any clear command to do so.

Gotcha. But that is still an argument from silence.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Gotcha. But that is still an argument from silence.

It's an argument against such a strict application of the RP. If the people of God of old could use instruments without an explicit command then why can't we?

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
It's an argument against such a strict application of the RP. If the people of God of old could use instruments without an explicit command then why can't we?

They would argue that they were in sin, perhaps.

This whole conversation makes me think that the same people who are for this strict view would have disapproved of Mary's perfuming of Jesus' feet.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I think it starts here:

16 David also commanded the chiefs of the Levites to appoint their brothers as the singers who should play loudly on musical instruments, on harps and lyres and cymbals, to raise sounds of joy.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version. (2001). (1 Ch 15:16–17). Wheaton: Standard Bible Society.

Note that this command comes from David, not from the Lord. It's found nowhere in the Torah when tabernacle (later temple) worship is described. David added singing and instrumentation to worship and it did not seem to displease God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
In response to #1 especially: This is not in line with the historic Reformed understanding of the Law. There is by necessary implication a division in the Mosaic Law between civil, ceremonial, and moral laws (cf. WCF 19.3-4 & relevant biblical texts used in support).

I have no problem with this division but we should recognize that it is not a biblical division. The Law as it is referred to in Scripture is a unified whole that is not easily divided in this artificial way. One single law can contain moral, ceremonial, and civil aspects. The Sabbath law, for instance, is moral, ceremonial, and civil all at the same time.

Upvote 0

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
May I ask a question? How is the singing of psalms done? Is there a hymnal with modern notation (IOW, did someone set the psalms to relatively modern music?) or are they sung/chanted a capella, set to specific Tones (as done in Orthodoxy - though we also have non-psalm hymns)? Just curious, since I didn't know about this. Thanks!

Mary

Reactions: AMR
Upvote 0

AMR

Presbyterian (PCA) - Bona Fide Reformed
Jun 19, 2009
Chandler, Arizona
Visit site
✟211,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
May I ask a question? How is the singing of psalms done? Is there a hymnal with modern notation (IOW, did someone set the psalms to relatively modern music?) or are they sung/chanted a capella, set to specific Tones (as done in Orthodoxy - though we also have non-psalm hymns)? Just curious, since I didn't know about this. Thanks!

Mary
They are sung a capella.

For example:
Presbyterian Reformed Church Form of Government and Book of Discipline:

The Ordinances of Worship in a Particular Congregation

17. The ordinances in a single congregation are prayer, thanksgiving, and singing of Psalms, the word read (although there follow no immediate explication of what is read), the word expounded and applied, catechizing, the sacraments administered, collection made for the poor, dismissing the people with a blessing. In accordance with the simplicity and purity of worship provided for in the church's Basis of Union, the church's worship shall be without instrumental music, and only the Book of Psalms shall be used for singing in worship. The Authorized King James Version shall be the text used in the public reading of the word, and the Scottish Metrical Psalter the text for singing in worship.​

See also: http://psalm-singing.org/ to hear the Psalms

Various Hymnals:
Tinity Hymnal Red Cover (Psalms Section)
CRC Psalter-Hymnal (pre-revision version)
The Book of Psalms for Singing
Scottish Psamody - 1650 Scottish Metrical Version
The Psalms of David in Metre
The Psalms for Singing - A 21st Century Edition (Red Cover)

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm also curious about some of the rules associated with Psalm Singing:
  1. Is the church free to set Psalms to new melodies?
  2. Is the church free to translates Psalms in a way that produces rhyme where possible?
  3. Is the church free to rearrange the content of Psalms (creating refrains and such)?
  4. Is the church free to mix Psalms together?
If churches are not free to do any of the above, a brief explanation would be appreciated.

Upvote 0