• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Is it right to compare Paul prior to conversion, to Hitler?

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by Fascinated With God, Sep 13, 2012.

1. No! That would undermine the legitimacy of his divine inspiration and makes Christianity look bad.

2. No. (Not quite so emphatic.)

3. Maybe.

4. Yes.

5. Don't know.

6. Other. (Please specify.)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fascinated With God

Fascinated With God Traditional Apostolic Methodist

+72
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Green
    Prior to conversion Paul was a Pharisee who was responsible for an unspecified number of executions of Christians (Acts 22:4). Bad as that is, I was shocked to see people here comparing Paul to Hitler, and asserting that even prior to converting Paul knew that he was doing evil and that he was intentionally going against God. To me that basically sounds like a sociopathic Devil worshiper, which while not precisely how most people would describe Hitler, is a sentiment that most people would generally agree with in regards to Hitler.

Comparing the most prolific writer of the New Testament to Hitler and extreme sociopaths and making him sound like a Devil worshiper prior to conversion, doesn't that make Christianity sound like the best religion ever! Why wouldn't everyone convert to Christianity if they knew this?

I was so perplexed by this that when I ran into a lady I know to be Pentecostal at the Deli, I brought this up, even though I am rather averse to Pentecostals. Another woman who I didn't know gasped in disbelief when I mentioned the comparison of Paul to Hitler, but the lady I know immediately piped up that she agreed that Saul had been no better than Hitler. In examining her opinion I discovered that she had the rather unusual belief that Hitler had thought he was doing the right thing and had no intention of doing evil.

If I hadn't ran into this lady I would have convinced myself that the people on here who say that Saul was no better than Hitler were yanking my chain and fake people just trying to stir things up. It was really hard for me to believe that this is real. Sociopaths don't feel empathy or experience human bonds, and nothing can change that. If Paul was an extreme sociopath like Hitler that would completely undermine the legitimacy of his divine inspiration. Hitler was incapable of feeling repentance, much less of becoming so open to the Holy Spirit that he could write divinely inspired absolute truth.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Athanasias

Athanasias Regular Member

+969
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Republican

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. Fascinated With God

Fascinated With God Traditional Apostolic Methodist

+72
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Green
    I'm not smoking anything. The debate I described is ongoing on the "Paul haters" thread here in this forum.

4. Jpark

Jpark Well-Known Member

+163
    Christian
    Private
    No.

Hitler felt powerless, even before his "conversion".

Whereas Paul has always felt enabled, being extremely zealous even before his conversion.

In the end, Hitler proved to be still powerless. Whereas Paul left behind him a legacy.

5. ViaCrucis

ViaCrucis Evangelical Catholic of the Augsburg Confession

+18,044
    United States
    Lutheran
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Hitler was a genocidal maniac and an authoritarian, fascist, dictator.

No, Paul was not these things prior to his conversion.

-CryptoLutheran

6. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git! Supporter

+28,474
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Who said you were? :confused:

[​IMG]

7. Albion

Albion Facilitator

+25,236
    Anglican
    Married
    Correct. People toss around Hitler's name too easily these days, making it almost the ultimate insult, no matter what the particular situation or offense might be. But Hitlerism is clearly a step up from what Saul was doing.

8. ptomwebster

ptomwebster Senior Member

+35
    Protestant
    Married
    US-Others

Absolutely NOT! I could not vote because your empathic answer was to poorly written and bias.

9. Rubiks

Rubiks proud libtard

+2,181
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    no, I would not agree Saul was like Hitler.

10. SolomonVII

SolomonVII Well-Known Member

+4,706
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Other.
    Of course not!
    The comparison is a ludicrous one.

11. LittleLambofJesus

LittleLambofJesus Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git! Supporter

+28,474
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Is it right to compare Paul prior to conversion, to Hitler?

Biblically, I can see Paul as a type of Saul in the OT who persecuted David.
    In other words, Paul became a type of "David", after his conversion, fleeing the persecution from the Jews.

Now, after his conversion, Paul is being persecuted by the same Jews he worked for before his conversion. Kind of ironic I would say.

2 Samuel 22:1 And David spake unto Yahweh, the words of this song, in the day when Yahweh had rescued him out of the hand of all his enemies, and out of the hand of Saul;

Acts 13:46 And speaking boldly, Paul and Barnabas said "To ye it was necessary that first the word of God be spoken, and seeing ye do thrust it away and do not judge yourselves worthy of the life age-during, behold! we do turn to the Nations
    50 And the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the first men of the city, and did raise persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and did put them out from their borders;

Acts 14:19 And there came thither Jews from Antioch and Iconium and they having persuaded the multitudes and having stoned Paul, drew him outside of the city, having supposed him to be dead;

12. SolomonVII

SolomonVII Well-Known Member

+4,706
    Canada
    Catholic
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Kudos on a very interesting and original post.:thumbsup:
    It is interesting how the names of the NT at least sometimes some kind of connection to the names of the OT. It is almost as if what is seen falling apart in the OT is starting to be put back together in the new retelling of the sacred history.