• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Is it rational to praise the good thief?

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by perplexed, Dec 14, 2019.

1. perplexed

perplexed Senior Member

+25
    Seeker
    The good thief was dying on the cross and defended Christ. He said he deserved punishment and Christ did not.

My gut tells me the good thief is "better" than your typical non criminal, my gut does not seem rational

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Sketcher

Sketcher Born Imperishable

+5,402
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Republican
    The thief that defended Jesus was not a good man. But what he said was rightly recognized as good. It is very possible to give a bad person credit for doing a good thing.

3. Not David

Not David Der Ewige Katechumene

+4,386
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Well, the thief recognized he deserved punishment and he didn't try to convince Christ to free him. Maybe that's why you like him.

4. Rusviking876

Rusviking876 New Member

+51
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Saint Dismas? Yes, he’s praiseworthy and his repentance was true.

5. perplexed

perplexed Senior Member

+25
    Seeker
    Is it rational that I like him more than a person that didn't do anything wrong

6. Aussie Pete

Aussie Pete Well-Known Member Supporter

+1,746
    Australia
    Non-Denom
    Divorced
    "Good" in relation to men is a word God does not use, ever. There are honest sinners and dishonest sinners. The self righteous rich young ruler went away disappointed. There is no hint that his wealth was gained immorally. He is anonymous. Zachaeus was a legalised stand over merchant, who bullied people into making him rich. Yet he repented and was saved. Neither of the men were good. Zac was honest. So was the thief on the cross. Who knows what he had done to bring the sentence of the cross on himself. It was no petty theft. He was convicted of his sin, asked to be saved, and God accepted him on that basis. We can be way too formulaic in how we think people should come to Christ.

7. Not David

Not David Der Ewige Katechumene

+4,386
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Someone specific?

8. Rusviking876

Rusviking876 New Member

+51
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Yes. We must fall on God’s judgement and mercy.

9. archer75

archer75 Well-Known Member Supporter

+3,647
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    There aren't too many people who haven't done anything wrong...

10. perplexed

perplexed Senior Member

+25
    Seeker
    Nope

11. perplexed

perplexed Senior Member

+25
    Seeker
    Whoops, I am not being clear about my exact issue so I will rephrase it

I do classify everyone I know morally
    I think some people are good
    I think some people are bad
    most people I need more information to make a judgement

This is not intentional
    I think some people are clever, I think some people are attractive, and I don't think my judgements about peoples morality are that reliable.

However if I find out someone has done a bad thing and feels bad about I tend to elevate them morally. Not just because I find out that they feel bad about doing bad things.

12. durangodawood

durangodawood Dis Member

+4,115
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    You might look at their repentance and understanding as the ticket back into the world of ethical citizens rather than some promotion beyond it.

And think of the ethical citizens as people who actually care about doing right by others rather than would-be criminals who are just deterred by the prospect of punishment.