Is it proper for church leadership to keep congregation in the dark?

JustDoug

Aug 20, 2017
Ventura Ca
✟15,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today at the beginning of our service the elders joined and announced that they were removing our lead pastor. They said that this has been underway for several weeks with our pastor being involved in the process. The only reason given what that it was in the best interest of the church.

Our pastor started this church 14 years ago. His lineage, and that of our elders, goes back to a local mega church.

While it is always possible, I doubt there was anything untoward going on with our pastor.

I came to the church in spite of their lineage with the local mega church, which has become little more than a shrine to the head pastor there. My suspicion...and I have one because the way they announced this has left the congregation to draw their own conclusions, is that the church was not growing quickly enough and they are going to look for someone more charismatic.

My biggest concern is that this church has always been a bit "easy on the ear' with guilt free messages. Now my question is the direction of the church. Are they going to double down on that message to try and grow? They have given no indication of anything.

I guess my question, as a member of the church, what is their biblical duty of the elders to the congregation? It doesn't seem reasonable that the congregation should take a wait and see approach over the next few months until we get a new head pastor and for him to reveal his vision?

Thanks

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it really depends on the subject. I do know most churchs I have been to or heard of tend to keep some things more private when it comes to things that could cause a congregation split or fight. At our current church often the pastor will talk with the elders about things and after they figure it out they will talk to the church. In some cases they will even ask the members what they think of the plan and what they should do.

We also have monthly church meetings where members can air their views and vote on things about the church. The pastor that was previously at the church, most don't really know why exactly he was removed from the church. Only the elders really seem to know. It was just best to not really tell the congregation fully. Though we do know it had something to do with money. But its all we know.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
what is their biblical duty of the elders to the congregation?
If you look at the Jerusalem council in Acts 15, the original meeting stresses the apostles and elders. But at least twice thereafter, the opinion of the "brothers" is taken into consideration. I would say the model is that the eldership has a leadership role it has to perform, but ultimately decisions should be made with the consent of the congregation. This agrees with Jesus' command that those in authority should not "lord it over" the others (Mt 23).

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I guess my question, as a member of the church, what is their biblical duty of the elders to the congregation? It doesn't seem reasonable that the congregation should take a wait and see approach over the next few months until we get a new head pastor and for him to reveal his vision?

Are you a formal member of the church and what does the churches rules and regulations say about how the church goes about being run?

If you aren't on the list of church members you have no right to know how the church makes decisions, however the important bit is what the legal document that sets out how the church is run, is what is important.

If this allows a church council or the elders, pastors to make these decisions without involving the church members.

You need to talk to the pastors and ask why there wasn't a special meeting for them to talk to the members about this. If your church has 1/4 members meetings or even only annual meetings, raise this issue.

If you are brushed off or there are no members meetings ask why but start looking for a new church that challenges you with its preaching and has members business meetings.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This
Today at the beginning of our service the elders joined and announced that they were removing our lead pastor. They said that this has been underway for several weeks with our pastor being involved in the process. The only reason given what that it was in the best interest of the church.

Our pastor started this church 14 years ago. His lineage, and that of our elders, goes back to a local mega church.

While it is always possible, I doubt there was anything untoward going on with our pastor.

I came to the church in spite of their lineage with the local mega church, which has become little more than a shrine to the head pastor there. My suspicion...and I have one because the way they announced this has left the congregation to draw their own conclusions, is that the church was not growing quickly enough and they are going to look for someone more charismatic.

My biggest concern is that this church has always been a bit "easy on the ear' with guilt free messages. Now my question is the direction of the church. Are they going to double down on that message to try and grow? They have given no indication of anything.

Thanks
is so typical of the Sunday club system.

Upvote 0

quidam65

Mar 19, 2018
DFW
✟11,761.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Thanks

Any time you have the pastor leave the church it can cause problems. In a church of any size, you have people who are loyal to the pastor; when he leaves (whether voluntarily or not) they go elsewhere.

This is a tough one because clearly something was not right. Whether it was failure to preach the whole counsel of God and instead try to be Joel Osteen Jr., or church growth issues (this is an area where pastors are often asked or forced to leave), unless you believe the elders are only trying a power play and could care less about getting a real man of God to preach, pray a lot and try to help out as much as you can. But if you think the elders are trying to run the church into the ground, bail out now.

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
We live in a world where people have no discretion. One reason a lot of HR staff won't discuss much about why a given employee was terminated is because they're legally prohibited from doing so. But the bigger issue is often that the exact reason for someone's dismissal is sensitive. It could damage somebody's reputation, painting an inaccurate and unfair picture of them.

My observation has been that when someone is removed from their post in basically any ecclesial community, it's usually because a political battle ensued behind the scenes and they lost.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Today at the beginning of our service the elders joined and announced that they were removing our lead pastor.

That sounds wrong. In sensible, well-run denominations that could not happen without some kind of transparent process.

I guess my question, as a member of the church, what is their biblical duty of the elders to the congregation?

Different denominations have different kinds of church government, and involve the congregation in different ways.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums