Is it possible to walk without willfully sinning? It better be....

Gideons300

Our awakening is beginning. Prepare to be amazed.
Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can A Man Really Stop Sinning?

Can we really ever hope to stop sinning? Can we ever overcome it? The answer that we, for the most part, believe today is... no. The inability of man to defeat sin and the old man that continues to dwell inside us is what we all basically hear in our churches, is it not? It is an unspoken, but foundational part of our Christianity, no matter what brand of Christianity we adhere to, right?

Our standard that "we are only human and no one is perfect" has been our modern day Christian mantra. I certainly understand why we hold fast to such a belief, BUT, we are now reaping the fruits of such a belief..... in spades. And trust me, it is going to get worse.

You see, it would be one thing if we in the church fell into sin, that we then immediately repented with bitter tears, avowing wholeheartedly that we will not do "that" sin again. It would be one thing if we each individually really were striving for holiness of character. But we are not, if honesty is foremost here. Our attitude is as long as we do not stray too far, Jesus makes up the difference. No reason to get all carried away in extremism.

But you see, that mindset is the insidious side of this belief we treasure and hold fast too with NO budging. Our modern take on God's grace, where even repentance and confession are not needed to remain saved.....should it not take us higher and higher in our response to said grace? Isn’t that our theory? We will be so thankful for unmerited favor that we will want to obey all the more, correct? Yet, is it ours? How is that working out in our individual lives?

If we are brutally honest, not well for the vast majority of us. This belief has slowly stripped us of our strength to resist, and poisoned our faith in the delivering power of our God and what He is able to do for us...and in us. It has clasped irons on our wrists where sins, once dalliances, have now started to become addictive.

Our continued sinning has done exactly what we have been warned it will do... harden our hearts. Sadly, we have become blinded to our sad state, and as a result, we are thus so lukewarm to the things of God yet blazing hot to our own hopes and dreams that for the most part, our lives pretty much look like the lives of the lost in the world... well, other than our Sunday morning habits.

We have duplicated the error of Samson, flirting so long with temptation that we eventually bit deeply into the apple of unbelief. He found it bit back, and now so are we. The result of our folly? Our current state of churchianity, where we draw near Him with our lips but our hearts? They are OURS. Those in the world call us hypocrites. We call us forgiven.... and because we are free, we can continue to be hypocrites. Amazing grace, right? No, amazing blindness.

The real question about our relationship to sin in our salvation is not whether or not our denomination says about it, nor what we think is even remotely possible for us, nor even because we have never seen such a thing face to face. The ultimate question each child of God has to wrestle with is.... what does God say about it? Ultimately, nothing else matters. Nothing.

So what does God tell us? Jesus taught us to pray that we be delivered from evil. We are then told by Paul that we have not just been forgiven, we have delivered from the very power of it. We are told that sin shall no longer have dominion over us, for we are no longer in the flesh, but in the Spirit, and we owe the flesh nothing. We are told that grace is “to teach us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we are to live soberly, righteously and justly in this present life."

We are told to walk out our Christianity here on earth as living sacrifices, holy, acceptable unto God, which is our reasonable service. God has promised to equip us with armor, weaponry and shields of faith that are promised to quench all the fiery arrows of the enemy. Finally, God promises to "cause us" to walk out our lives as obedient holy children, and will thus not allow us to be tempted above our ability to resist.

God has told us that it is them who hunger and thirst for righteousness..... not forgiveness, but a righteous heart, a new nature, they will be the ones filled. He has told us that it is the pure in heart who are the blessed ones, and it is they who are the ones who will see God. He has urged us to holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord.

Do we see a problem here, Houston? Can we not comprehend that It is our unbelief in the clear promises of God that has put poison in our midst, keeping us fleshly saints, made us into a church having a form of godliness down pat but yet denying flat out that God can set us free indeed as He promised.

I have much more to say (shocked, huh? LOL), on this amazing subject of how to walk in our new natures and what that means to us. This post was simply an attempt to get us to look past our biases, and they are MANY, and to confront our real problem as to why we are not thriving, and turning the world upside down for Christ. What is it?

Unbelief.

It kept 600,000 Israelites out of their inheritance, and it has kept us out of ours. Our time as the awakening virgins who will light their lamps, and be the light we are told we are, is approaching fast. We are about to be amazed.

Many blessings, dear brothers and sisters

Gideon

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes i think you strike a cord of truth here Gideon. The fight against living a non loving and graceful life are tempting to us believers. It is so much easier to be the same as every one else and take for self alone.

However we all know when we tolerate sin then sinful behaviours and its consequences come our way. i found that my battle with unfaithful to love remains real. I found it is so easy to say don't do this and don't do that - any one can learn to do or leave things for their religion - but to love God and neighbour now that is a lot harder!

However the tension between love and unfaithful to love creates a prayer in my heart for more love to resist wrongdoing and that is a good thing.

i hope that all Christians learn to love God and neighbour for real. It is love for God and neighbour that resist evil the most, religious duties can perish along with sin that way as well , God's love is what stops us from being confused about what is right and what is wrong.

A heart full of God's loving truth is truly free

Upvote 0

Pethesedzao

Dec 29, 2018
Bristol
✟17,354.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single

Can we really ever hope to stop sinning? Can we ever overcome it? The answer that we, for the most part, believe today is... no. The inability of man to defeat sin and the old man that continues to dwell inside us is what we all basically hear in our churches, is it not? It is an unspoken, but foundational part of our Christianity, no matter what brand of Christianity we adhere to, right?

Our standard that "we are only human and no one is perfect" has been our modern day Christian mantra. I certainly understand why we hold fast to such a belief, BUT, we are now reaping the fruits of such a belief..... in spades. And trust me, it is going to get worse.

You see, it would be one thing if we in the church fell into sin, that we then immediately repented with bitter tears, avowing wholeheartedly that we will not do "that" sin again. It would be one thing if we each individually really were striving for holiness of character. But we are not, if honesty is foremost here. Our attitude is as long as we do not stray too far, Jesus makes up the difference. No reason to get all carried away in extremism.

But you see, that mindset is the insidious side of this belief we treasure and hold fast too with NO budging. Our modern take on God's grace, where even repentance and confession are not needed to remain saved.....should it not take us higher and higher in our response to said grace? Isn’t that our theory? We will be so thankful for unmerited favor that we will want to obey all the more, correct? Yet, is it ours? How is that working out in our individual lives?

If we are brutally honest, not well for the vast majority of us. This belief has slowly stripped us of our strength to resist, and poisoned our faith in the delivering power of our God and what He is able to do for us...and in us. It has clasped irons on our wrists where sins, once dalliances, have now started to become addictive.

Our continued sinning has done exactly what we have been warned it will do... harden our hearts. Sadly, we have become blinded to our sad state, and as a result, we are thus so lukewarm to the things of God yet blazing hot to our own hopes and dreams that for the most part, our lives pretty much look like the lives of the lost in the world... well, other than our Sunday morning habits.

We have duplicated the error of Samson, flirting so long with temptation that we eventually bit deeply into the apple of unbelief. He found it bit back, and now so are we. The result of our folly? Our current state of churchianity, where we draw near Him with our lips but our hearts? They are OURS. Those in the world call us hypocrites. We call us forgiven.... and because we are free, we can continue to be hypocrites. Amazing grace, right? No, amazing blindness.

The real question about our relationship to sin in our salvation is not whether or not our denomination says about it, nor what we think is even remotely possible for us, nor even because we have never seen such a thing face to face. The ultimate question each child of God has to wrestle with is.... what does God say about it? Ultimately, nothing else matters. Nothing.

So what does God tell us? Jesus taught us to pray that we be delivered from evil. We are then told by Paul that we have not just been forgiven, we have delivered from the very power of it. We are told that sin shall no longer have dominion over us, for we are no longer in the flesh, but in the Spirit, and we owe the flesh nothing. We are told that grace is “to teach us that denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we are to live soberly, righteously and justly in this present life."

We are told to walk out our Christianity here on earth as living sacrifices, holy, acceptable unto God, which is our reasonable service. God has promised to equip us with armor, weaponry and shields of faith that are promised to quench all the fiery arrows of the enemy. Finally, God promises to "cause us" to walk out our lives as obedient holy children, and will thus not allow us to be tempted above our ability to resist.

God has told us that it is them who hunger and thirst for righteousness..... not forgiveness, but a righteous heart, a new nature, they will be the ones filled. He has told us that it is the pure in heart who are the blessed ones, and it is they who are the ones who will see God. He has urged us to holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord.

Do we see a problem here, Houston? Can we not comprehend that It is our unbelief in the clear promises of God that has put poison in our midst, keeping us fleshly saints, made us into a church having a form of godliness down pat but yet denying flat out that God can set us free indeed as He promised.

I have much more to say (shocked, huh? LOL), on this amazing subject of how to walk in our new natures and what that means to us. This post was simply an attempt to get us to look past our biases, and they are MANY, and to confront our real problem as to why we are not thriving, and turning the world upside down for Christ. What is it?

Unbelief.

It kept 600,000 Israelites out of their inheritance, and it has kept us out of ours. Our time as the awakening virgins who will light their lamps, and be the light we are told we are, is approaching fast. We are about to be amazed.

Gideon
The Devil has been sinning wilfully from the beginning therefore his children will do the same

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can we really ever hope to stop sinning? Can we ever overcome it?

Yes, I believe people can overcome sin. Even, "willfully sinning", as you mentioned in the title. This is known as a mortal sin. Which is a serious sin that you know is wrong, but you do it anyway.

it would be one thing if we in the church fell into sin, that we then immediately repented with bitter tears, avowing wholeheartedly that we will not do "that" sin again.

This is called contrition, which means that you feel guilty because, the bottom line is, you have offended God. There is nothing wrong with repenting and getting right with God again after we realize we have fallen into sin. It doesn't matter how many times you have to do this, it is very important. Here is a prayer known as an Act of Contrition:

Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You, I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of Hell; but most of all because they offend You, my God, who are all good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve with the help of Your grace to sin no more and to avoid the near occasions of sin. Amen

Our modern take on God's grace, where even repentance and confession are not needed to remain saved.....should it not take us higher and higher in our response to said grace? Isn’t that our theory?

How is that working out in our individual lives?

It doesn't work.

• Winner
Reactions: Lost4words
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,593.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Devil has been sinning wilfully from the beginning therefore his children will do the same

Nobody on this earth is the child of the devil. We are all God's children.

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I'm starting to think you are a Catholic.

Our continued sinning has done exactly what we have been warned it will do... harden our hearts. Sadly, we have become blinded to our sad state, and as a result, we are thus so lukewarm to the things of God yet blazing hot to our own hopes and dreams that for the most part, our lives pretty much look like the lives of the lost in the world...

One of the most beautiful, and accurate statements I've heard in a long time! :oldthumbsup:

Our current state of churchianity, where we draw near Him with our lips but our hearts? They are OURS. Those in the world call us hypocrites. We call us forgiven.... and because we are free, we can continue to be hypocrites. Amazing grace, right? No, amazing blindness.

Definitely agree.
He has urged us to holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord.

Indeed.

and to confront our real problem as to why we are not thriving, and turning the world upside down for Christ. What is it?

Unbelief.

Free will, concupiscence, the fall of Adam and Eve and the introduction of sin to mankind, etc., and the idea that it's okay to sin on our part individually. After all, Jesus died for our sins, so, we're good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath
✟1,002,593.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
To be sin free is almost impossible. Even the tiniest thing can be a sin.

A bad thought, a frown, a slip of the tongue. The list is endless.

Thats why Jesus has given us a way to repent and ask forgiveness.

Nobody can be 100% sin free.

• Winner
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be sin free is almost impossible. Even the tiniest thing can be a sin.

A bad thought, a frown, a slip of the tongue. The list is endless.

Thats why Jesus has given us a way to repent and ask forgiveness.

Willful sin will send a man to hell. Far too many are lumping willful sin with things that will be done away with as God sanctifies a man wholly, body, soul and spirit.

The two are completely separate. May God lead all those who are strugglin* with sin as Paul did in Romans 7 to discover the way to escape the grip of.the sin that may have them and not to use the “No one can be perfect” argument to tryto silence their conscience.

Hebrews tells us there is a place where a man or woman can walk with no more consciousness of sin. That, brother, is the only place of freedom and true joy. A guilty conscience is a gift from God, but unless a person is led past that to the place their conscience is truly purified by faith, they will remain joyless and as well, fair game for Satan to continue his relentless attacks.

Blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shempster

ImJustMe
Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is another way to look at it:
Many people do things they don't like and avoid things they do like to avoid going to hell, but are still sinning.
Then there are those who do things they like and avoid things they don't as a way of life and are not sinning.
It all depends on what you like and what you don't like.

Upvote 0

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Far too many are lumping willful sin with things that will be done away with as God sanctifies a man wholly, body, soul and spirit.

What things? Other, lesser sins?

purified by faith,

Meaning?
they will remain joyless and as well, fair game for Satan to continue his relentless attacks.

If they do not turn from sin and receive forgiveness of their sins through confession, (often, if needed), they could easily fall away. Small sins beget larger sins, and the next thing you know, you are in a constant state of sin, and you have convinced yourself everything is okay. Either because you are not planning on dying tomorrow, or because surely God doesn't think it is that big of a deal for me to do this sin.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Unbelief.

Gideon

Good points.

Notice Rev 15:8 - the sanctuary in heaven shuts down -- so that the 7 last plagues of Rev 16 can be unleashed on the world. After which we have the Rev 19 second coming event.

And what exactly is it that is "shut down" in that case?

1 John 2:1 says that our advocate -- Christ is the means by which we get forgiveness of sins.

Heb 8:1-5 says that this is in fact "the main point" for what is going on now while Christ is in the Sanctuary in heaven - as our High Priest.

But that ministry of Christ obtaining forgiveness in His role as our High Priest comes to an end in Rev 15:8 -- and then comes the 7 last plagues.

Not a lot of room there for "more sinning" by the saints going through that 7 last plagues event. Shielded from the plagues? yes - but not shielded from the fact that there is no more forgiveness of sins to be obtained in the Sanctuary in heaven.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Normally I do not spend much time on this sort of thread - because just getting people to admit what sin is, what defines sin, and that we should not do it - is such big project all on its own. Let alone "no more sinning". (the recent action of whole states choosing to disregard the value of human life when it comes to babies at or just before birth being one big example).

Rom 8:4-11 says that the wicked "do not submit to the law of God neither indeed CAN they" - but it contrasts that state with the case of the saved saints.

Rom 6 says you are slaves of the one that you obey -- and if that is sin then ... it does not end well according to Rom 6.

1 Cor 10 says "NO temptation" has overtaken you but such as is common to man and "God IS faithful" who will not "allow you" to be tempted beyond that which "you" are able - but will with the temptation provide the way of escape.

And that means that all sin that you do - is sin that you choose to do in one way or another.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟484,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nobody on this earth is the child of the devil. We are all God's children.

Good day, Lost4words

I think Jesus and you would be in total disagreement:

Jn 8
You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

In Him,

Bill

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CleanSoul

Jan 20, 2019
Midwest
✟15,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think Jesus and you would be in total disagreement:

Jn 8
You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

A baptized Christian is a child of God.

1 Peter 2:9 says, "But you are "a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people of his own, so that you may announce the praises" of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."

And everyone is made in God's image and likeness.

You are taking John 8:44 way out of context.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Unless I'm sadly mistaken, in the entire history of the world, from the Creation, until death and hell are cast into the bottomless pit, there has been one and only One person to have ever lived "sin-free", "sinless".

And none of us are Him!

66% of the New Testament was written by one individual. The question arises then, is it, or would it be sin to disobey God?

Yet the scriptures record at least two instances, where after the point of salvation, a certain Apostle disobeyed God.

The first Pope, lets not forget him. It is recorded that he also disobeyed God. furthermore, if you don't count hypocrisy as a sin, he was "guilty" of that too!

"Entire Sanctification" is a very worthy, and noble cause that we, as Christians, should strive towards.

That was a mark that not even Paul or Peter could achieve!

However, just as Paul said, as long as I live in this body of "flesh", that is a goal I'll never reach, not for lack of effort, but because of the flesh.

But, I do know that scriptures tells that us that one day, it will happen.

Only when we see Him, and are made like Him, will we be "sin-free".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟900,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In Romans 8 Paul says that the lost "do not submit to the law of God - neither indeed CAN they"

In Romans 6 Paul already made the case that you are a slave to the one that you actually obey - either of sin resulting in death... or a slave of righteousness.

When John says in 1 John 2:1 "these things I write that you sin not" he is serious.

1 Cor 10 "no temptation" has overtaken you but that which is common to mankind and God IS faithful who will NOT allow you to be tempted beyond that which you are able.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟164,206.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Unbelief.

Gideon

Abiding is a key . Abide means to continue, dwell, remain.

1 John 3:6. “Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.”

John 15:4-7 “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 6. If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7. If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.”

Upvote 0

Gideons300

Jun 26, 2015
Maryville, Tennessee
✟109,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless I'm sadly mistaken, in the entire history of the world, from the Creation, until death and hell are cast into the bottomless pit, there has been one and only One person to have ever lived "sin-free", "sinless".

And none of us are Him!

66% of the New Testament was written by one individual. The question arises then, is it, or would it be sin to disobey God?

Yet the scriptures record at least two instances, where after the point of salvation, a certain Apostle disobeyed God.

The first Pope, lets not forget him. It is recorded that he also disobeyed God. furthermore, if you don't count hypocrisy as a sin, he was "guilty" of that too!

"Entire Sanctification" is a very worthy, and noble cause that we, as Christians, should strive towards.

That was a mark that not even Paul or Peter could achieve!

However, just as Paul said, as long as I live in this body of "flesh", that is a goal I'll never reach, not for lack of effort, but because of the flesh.

But, I do know that scriptures tells that us that one day, it will happen.

Only when we see Him, and are made like Him, will we be "sin-free".

God Bless

Till all are one.
I specifically said ‘willful sin’ in the title. The Word is clear on that one.

Was Paul willfully sinning in Romans 7? Heck no, there was a raging battle within him! But we have been told that even willful sin is forgiven. Until is is confessed AND turned from, that sin remains. If we are truly His children, there should be a deep desire to want to obey Him, amen?

Please understand, I am not espousing sinless perfectionism. But we are promised that if we abide in Him, we will not fulfill the lusts of the flesh. That is God’s promise. Now can He do for us what we cannot? He can for even the weakest among us. And He WILL if we trust Him to do so.

Blessings,

Gideon

Upvote 0